• Register Today It's free!

Transmission leak at radiator

sabasigh

Reaction score
City, State
STL Metro East, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT 4x4
Looks like the fitting where my transmission line screws into is leaking. I had the tranny flushed not too long ago and I'm thinking that while securing the line fitting, they tweaked the inlet on the radiator. I put a wrench to tighten the fitting yesterday and the inlet valve started to turn.
IMG_20101107_135917.png

What are my options here? Can I put some silicon around the fitting? Can it be tightened?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the fitting and install an oring. Here is the tsb
Printable View (27 KB)
TSB
00-9-1 LEAK - TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAKS AT RADIATOR - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER IN RADIATOR END TANK

Publication Date: APRIL 18, 2000

FORD: 1997-2000 MUSTANG, EXPEDITION, EXPLORER, F-150, F-250 LD
1998-2000 RANGER
1999-2000 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
LINCOLN: 1998-2000 NAVIGATOR
MERCURY: 1998-2000 MOUNTAINEER

This TSB is being republished in its entirety to update the vehicles affected and to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Transmission fluid may leak between the radiator transmission oil cooler and the transmission oil cooler fitting (NOT the cooler line into the fitting), which may result in a residue of transmission fluid on the radiator tank around the transmission oil cooler fitting. This may be caused by insufficient thread sealer on the transmission oil cooler fitting.

NOTE: THIS TSB DOES NOT APPLY TO TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAKAGE AT THE TRANSMISSION LINE TO TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER FITTING.

ACTION:
Install O-ring W705181-S onto the transmission oil cooler fitting. The O-ring is designed to seal the leak and reduce the possibility of transmission fluid leakage. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify that transmission fluid is leaking between the transmission oil cooler and the transmission oil cooler fitting (NOT the transmission cooler line fitting into the transmission oil cooler fitting). Refer to Figure 1.
Remove the radiator from the vehicle following Workshop Manual procedure. Place the radiator on a flat surface so that the transmission oil cooler fittings are facing upward. Refer to Figure 2.
Clean the area around the transmission oil cooler fitting. This will insure that contaminants do not enter the transmission oil cooler when the transmission oil cooler fittings are removed.
CAUTION: OIL-BASED SOLVENTS AND CLEANERS SHOULD NOT BE USED WHEN CLEANING THE RADIATOR. OIL-BASED SOLVENTS AND CLEANERS CAN DAMAGE THE RADIATOR END TANK SEALS AND CAUSE LEAKS.

Remove the upper transmission oil cooler fitting.
NOTE: REMOVE ONLY ONE (1) TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER FITTING AT A TIME, OTHERWISE THE COOLER MAY DROP INTO THE RADIATOR.

Once the fitting is removed from the transmission oil cooler, verify that there is a gasket between the transmission oil cooler and the inside of the radiator tank. If there is no gasket, replace the radiator. If the gasket is in place, continue to Step 6.
Inspect the transmission oil cooler fitting threads for damage. If the threads are damaged, replace the radiator. If the threads show no sign of damage, continue to Step 7.
Install O-ring W705181-S on the transmission oil cooler fitting. Refer to Figure 2 and Figure 3.
CAUTION: THREAD SEALANT OR TAPE SHOULD NEVER BE USED ON THE THREADS OF THE TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER FITTING. THE USE OF SUCH MATERIALS WILL CREATE A LEAK PATH.

Making sure that the gasket between the transmission oil cooler and the inside of the radiator tank is still in place, reinstall the transmission oil cooler fitting. The fitting should be torqued to 38-45 N-m (28-33 lb-ft).
NOTE: DO NOT USE AIR TOOLS TO TORQUE THE TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER FITTING. USE A HAND-OPERATED TORQUE WRENCH ONLY.

Repeat Steps 2-8 for the other transmission oil cooler fitting. This fitting should also have the O-ring replaced even if it is not leaking.
Make sure that no radiator coolant has entered the transmission oil cooler. Reinstall the radiator in the vehicle following Workshop Manual procedure.
Verify that both the transmission and the engine cooling system have the proper fluid levels outlined in the Workshop Manual.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
W705181-S O-ring

LABOR OPERATION APPLICATION
Operation Applications
000901A 1998-2000 Ranger 4X2 2.5L MFI - 4X2/4X4 3.0L MFI - 3.0L FFV
000901B 1997-2000 Explorer 4X2/4X4 5.0L MFI - 1997-2000 Mountaineer 4X2/4X4 5.0L MFI - 1997-2000 Mustang 3.8L MFI, 4.6L MFI - 1998-2000 Navigator 4X2/4X4 5.4L DOHC - 1998-1999 Navigator 4X2/4X4 5.4L MFI - 1997-2000 Expedition 4X2/4X4 4.6L MFI, 5.4L MFI - 1997-2000 F-150 4X2/4X4 4.6L MFI, 5.4L MFI - 1997-1999 F-250 LD 4X2/4X4 4.6L MFI, 5.4L MFI
000901C 1999-2000 Super Duty F Series - 1997-2000 Explorer 4X2/4X4 4.0L MFI - 1998-2000 Ranger 4X2/4X4 4.0L MFI - 1997-2000 Explorer 4X2/4X4 4.0L SOHC - 1998-2000 Mountaineer 4X2/4X4 4.0L SOHC
000901D 1997-2000 F-150 4X2/4X4 4.2L MFI - 1997-1999 F-250 LD 4X2/4X4 4.2L MFI

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

SUPERSEDES:
99-4-6

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
000901A See Table For Application 0.9 Hr.
000901B See Table For Application 1.0 Hr.
000901C See Table For Application 1.1 Hr.
000901D See Table For Application 1.2 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7D273 D8

OASIS CODES:
402000, 510000

Figure 1 - Article 00-9-1

Figure 2 - Article 00-9-1

Figure 3 - Article 00-9-1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2000 Ford Motor Company

Remove the fitting and install an oring. Here is the tsb

Thank you. May let a dealer handle this...removing the radiator is something I just don't feel like doing. Have already done all ball joints, blower motor, and intake manifold gaskets this past summer. If I pull this sucker in my garage one more time...may just leave it there. :D

You can just loosen the line and then remove the fitting and install the oring. Then reinstall the fitting and line.

Ahhh, do I have to drain the radiator and/or tranny?

Thanks

Nope but you may get a little seepage out in the process. Just do one fitting at a time.

Last question...the TSB references: "Making sure that the gasket between the transmission oil cooler and the inside of the radiator tank is still in place, reinstall the transmission oil cooler fitting"

Doing this upright is there a chance this gasket can drop inside the tank?

Never had a problem myself but I guess it could happen.

The o-ring is on the fitting and comes out and goes back with fitting .Only thing do this cold and don't push on the cooler it does hold all the coolant in radiator

Thanks guys...ordered 2 O-rings @ the Stealership today. Like $8/ea

Thanks guys. Installed the o-ring on just the top inlet and leak has stopped.

Couldn't have been easier.

Mine is leaking from the the lower fitting, Although I will change both o rings. Question is can this be done without removing the freaking radiator as the TSB calls for ??
Removed it 2 years ago to replace, and it was a real pain. I can easily get to the fittings with the radioator in place.

[MENTION=49658]hyperexplore[/MENTION] Were you able to fix the issue? Mine is leaking tranny fluid from the driver side lower fitting. I tried to just tighten it but it is still slowly seeping. What did you end up doing?

Mine is leaking from the the lower fitting, Although I will change both o rings. Question is can this be done without removing the freaking radiator as the TSB calls for ??
Removed it 2 years ago to replace, and it was a real pain. I can easily get to the fittings with the radioator in place.

Bumping.

Same issue.

Back