My 2007 Mercury Mountaineer Brake issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2007 Mercury Mountaineer Brake issues

eslewis

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mountaineer
My 2007 Mountaineer had spongy breaks. So I replaced the power booster as indicated by the manual's troubleshooting steps. Now the breaks work fine, but the break pedal does not actuate the break light switch any more. It doesn't seem to be in a different position. It just doesn't contact the switch any more.

Is there an adjustment to the switch? Is there something missing that should be attached to the pedal? Does anyone have any pictures of the pedals under their dash?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did it move some while you worked under there? Tell me how the breaks improved. just got an 06 EB w/ 93k and it seems like it takes more foot on the pedal than it should . Is that what yours was like ?

Ford has tsb for this concern.
Printable View (48 KB)
TSB
09-1-6 IMPROVED BRAKE PEDAL FEEL AND FIRMNESS - BUILT BEFORE 5/31/2008

Publication Date: January 13, 2009

FORD: 2006-2008 Explorer
2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2008 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 08-2-8 to update the part list and add a production fix date.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2008 Explorer, Mountaineer, and 2007-2008 Sport Trac vehicles built before 5/31/2008 may experience customer concerns with brake pedal feel or firmness.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Bleed the brake system using the anti-lock brake system (ABS) hydraulic control unit (HCU) bleeding procedure found in Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-00.
If the brake bleeding procedure resolves the concern, do not continue with this TSB and return the vehicle to the customer.
If the brake bleeding procedure does not resolve the customer concern, replace the brake pedal assembly.
Remove brake pedal assembly, Refer to WSM Section 206-06.
Install updated brake pedal assembly.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8L2Z-2455-B Fixed Brake Pedal
8L2Z-2C434-E Adjust Pedal (Non-Memory)
8L2Z-2C434-F Adjust Pedal (Memory)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
090106A 2006-2008 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac: Bleed The Brake System (Do Not Use With 2000A) 0.7 Hr.
090106B 2006-2008 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac: Bleed The Brake System, Replace The Brake Pedal Assembly (Do Not Use With 2000A, 13480A, 9818A8) 1.8 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
2455 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2009 Ford Motor Company

what the newer break pedal doing differently? seems kinda wierd but if it works it works right?

So far the breaks seem to work fine. The interesting thing is that the switch for the break lights does not make up any more. It is still there and works fine, but it is not actuated by the break pedal coming back to the rest position. However, this was a simple fix. I just got two small magnets from a hardware store here and put them on the brake pedal arm and it completes the distance between the pedal and the switch. All is well with that.

Now there is a new noise. When the car is in park, and you push the break pedal there is a clicking sound at the gear shift. It sounds like a relay changing state. It seems that it must be the switch that keeps the car in park until you push the brake pedal in. I am not sure how to replace this or trouble shoot it.

However all the rest of my brakes are working fine. The ABS light went out on its own after I took it to a mechanic and he reset it, it came back, but went away after a day or so.

SUPERINSTALLER: There is a procedure in the Chilton's manual on this car that involves pumping up the brakes and turning the car off an on. When I did this procedure it indicated that my power booster was not air tight so I changed it out and all seems to be working fine. I did not change the pedal in any way. I am not sure why it is doing this, but the magnets seem to work fine.

SWETRID: Thanks for the information. I have bled my brakes and that took out all the air. Very helpful.

Back