Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

Column gear shifter/stuck in PARK

Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #1

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Column gear shifter/stuck in PARK

I have a 1996 ford ranger 4x4 and for the last month my column shifter has felt a bit sloppy and also when I put it in park and then get back in my truck to go some place else it won't shift out of park BUT after a couple tries of turning the key and removing my foot from brake and back again it always would shift out of parking gear and off I would go but today was a different story,as I was getting back in my truck after going to the store I could NOT get it out of park for like 5 minutes FINALLY it shifted out of park and I put it in drive and went home.

I have decided from now on to put it in neutral,turn it off and put on my emergency brake and lock it up when I am not in it, so the obvious question is what in the hell is going on???

Are there any write up's about this exact issue with other people experiencing this problem and what was the fix?

THANKS!!!!
**************** is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Tbars4
Offroad/Fitness Moderator
anaheim hills,california

95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
........I'm not sure you will get many responses or people will take you seriously due to your log in name and not having a location under your name...

...If you use the search function at the bottom of the menu bar I'm sure you will turn up something...

...You might contact Rick the admin here and see if you can do a name change...

How to: Wheels,Tires, & Lifts...
Buy Explorerforum.com Items here
Tbars4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #3

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbars4 View Post
........I'm not sure you will get many responses or people will take you seriously due to your log in name and not having a location under your name...

...If you use the search function at the bottom of the menu bar I'm sure you will turn up something...

...You might contact Rick the admin here and see if you can do a name change...
Hmmmmmmm, I like my screen name ( it's different ) but I did solve my problem today!!

I had a good look at the brake switch today and one of the two wires was almost broken in half so I just spliced it and now my cruise works when taping the brake and I don't get stuck in parking gear anymore.Also I had two bolts that were loose and that fixed my sloppy shifter,feels brand new now!!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
RangerX
Elite Ranger
Omao, Kauai

'93 Ranger XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Zero dollar repairs are the best!
So, welcome to the forum, where you from?

RangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #5

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerX View Post
Zero dollar repairs are the best!
So, welcome to the forum, where you from?
Kansas
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
frank dougert
BRUNVILLES MN
1996 ford ranger xl

Vehicle Specs

i have a gear shift stuck in park,there is some kind of cylinder loose on the cable that i can move to release it from park but have no clue what it is help!!! please.
frank dougert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
McCormack
S.E. WI
2000 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by **************** View Post
Also I had two bolts that were loose and that fixed my sloppy shifter,feels brand new now!!
On my '00 automatic a bolt came loose on the shifter linkage under the dash, and the shifting action was so sloppy that it got to the point that I couldn't shift down into low. Don't they tighten those things at the factory?!

It was a bear to get under there and tighten the bolt, but once I snugged it up everything was normal again.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page