• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer!

MarielleLeigh

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself! I just spoke to Rick and got permission to start this thread :)

I’m with American Pop, working directly with Team Detroit for the launch of the all new 2011 Ford Explorer. I’m here to answer any questions about the new vehicle, so ask away! Let me know if there’s anything you guys want to know about the Explorer, and I’ll be sure to keep you in the loop with the latest news and new features as they’re released.

Speaking of which… check out the latest video revealing the EPA estimated MPG for the new Explorer! This makes the 2011 Explorer the Best in Class for V6 and 25% more fuel efficient than the current model! See all the facts in the video below!

Also, if you haven’t seen yet, there are some really cool videos and photos over at the official Ford Explorer Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FordExplorer). You should check it out! While you’re at it, be sure to visit the 2011 Ford Explorer site where you can build out and price the new Explorer with all the latest features - http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2011/ I can’t wait to try out MyFord Touch™!

Thanks! Can’t wait to hear what you guys have to say :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Marielle,

All I can say is- be prepared... I want to see the new Ex, (I did get your earlier PM also but mistakenly cleared my PM inbox) but it's not too popular here right now, as evidenced by a few threads which I'm sure you're enjoying. :)

I think the biggest challenge for you will be to convince the off-road crowd that is dyed and blue body on frame with real 4WD into accepting a unibody car-based CUV with electronics, FWD, and 4/6 cylinders.

I'm of the ilk that the new Explorer will hit a lot more market segment hot buttons that are desirable in 2010+ but the old 1991-2001 and even the IRS 2002-2010 crowd are not sold on it at all... Just giving you the skinny... :)

Welcome, I hope we're civil here...

I'm looking forward to it. I don't think I'll be a customer right away- but that's just because I'm cheap and like to let someone else take that depreciation hit.

The type of person who would spend their time talking about a vehicle online is most likely going to be an enthusiast who knows a good amount about the vehicle already and not to stereotype, these are the same "fan boys" of XYZ configuration. Most people like this, understandably, hate it when their cheese is moved.

Each model has it's pros/cons and I'm of the camp where, if I ever wanted to enjoy off-roading to burn time, I'd buy a tank. However, while driving on these things called "roads", I won't need to scale large objects anytime soon so the loss of off-roading ability is not exactly a concern of mine. If I owned a huge ranch in Texas, then it would be another story. Until that day comes, I'll be in the 'burbs taking my kids to anything-but-soccer practice.

In the past 10 years, I've had my Ranger off-of-the-road 2 times, in grass, for a football tailgate.

edge- very well said. I'm a cleaner, not an off-roader, so I think that's why I seem to get a hard time when trying to give the new Ex a legitimate shot. I know what most people will use them for- and you're that example.

And I like the anything-but-soccer... I feel ya there! :D

To be completely honest I am bothered by the new Explorer. It needs to be more truck-like looking (like the current Explorer) with RWD. Those are my only complaints. Otherwise, I expect it to be a fantastic crossover.

I would like to add, in response to that "2011 Ford Explorer: SUV or CUV? [HQ]" Video on the Facebook page - It does look like a CUV, minivan and, possibly, a "lady's car." BUT, most importantly, he does look like a soccer mom to me. Putting black wheels and a black grille on a vehicle does not make it an SUV, not at all.

Unfortunately, I must say I am not impressed. I have been waiting for the past 3ish months for Ford to do something that makes me not frown. I was happy when the 2011 Super Duty came out, but it's been downhill from there. Sorry, but it's true. Also, I find that the MPG video makes Explorer/Ford owners look absolutely foolish.

Glad to see some strong opinions here, we always welcome those at Ford. Whichever way you swing, I’m sure you’ve got some questions about the 2011 Explorer, whether that’s about the Terrain Management system or the Ford Sync – I’d be happy to answer them for ya.

So let’s get our hands dirty – who’s got the first question? :)

When is the EcoBoost V6 going in? :D (Sorry, someone was going to ask anyway...)

How close is the TMS in operation to the TMS in the new Grand Cherokee?

When is the EcoBoost V6 going in? :D (Sorry, someone was going to ask anyway...)

Unfortunately, the V6 EcoBoost won't come any time soon. Marielle told me that already in a PM.

The V6 Ecoboost is putting out 350+ HP. Does the Explorer REALLY need that kind of power? At some point the unibody is going to be the weak link here, not the engine (if it isn't already) so towing capacity would be limited to the frame and not the engine power.

The 2010 Flex inexplicably has the Ecoboost V6 for the AWD models but can still only haul 4500 lbs. (sarcasm aside, can someone explain to me why this much power is needed in a mid-sized SUV?)

Is there really a market for hot-rod SUVs? I mean, are we trying to give the 5.0 Mustang some competition? :rolleyes:

Is there really a market for hot-rod SUVs? I mean, are we trying to give the 5.0 Mustang some competition? :rolleyes:

No, I'm trying to find competition for the Falcon 335 GT! :D

I don't think it needs it, I just wanted to toss it out there since someone was going to ask.

And yes, it'll be a while, as it isn't needed...

Marielle,
I think the biggest challenge for you will be to convince the off-road crowd that is dyed and blue body on frame with real 4WD into accepting a unibody car-based CUV with electronics, FWD, and 4/6 cylinders.

The new 2011 Explorer (known internally at Ford as the U502) was developed with some off road capability, but it’s not going to be a hard core rock crawler or anything of the like. It does nevertheless have some off road credentials.

The full-time Intelligent four-wheel drive system has a infinitely variable front-to-rear torque distribution. It can be either 100 percent front-drive, 100 percent rear-drive or anywhere in-between. The 4x4 system accomplishes this via an infinity variable electronic locking center coupling. The 4x4 system also has a heavy-duty dedicated cooling system to allow the system to provide continuous torque delivery to all four wheels indefinitely, if conditions call for it.

The center coupling (a heavy-duty multi-plate clutch pack) is not actually in the center of the vehicle, but still sits between the front & rear differentials acting as a center differential, controlling the torque between the front & rear drive wheels.

The infinity variable electronic locking center coupling can be locked (like a locking center differential) to provide a locked 50/50 torque distribution, if the Terrain Management system decides locking the 4x4 system is necessary; this also depends on what mode Terrain Management is in.

There are four selectable modes:
- Normal Driving mode
- Grass/Gravel/Snow mode (applicable to any slippery condition)
- Mud & Ruts mode
- Sand mode

Terrain Management controls, adjusts and fine tunes the engine, transmission, infinity variable electronic locking center coupling, throttle response, traction control system (both engine management and 4-wheel electronic traction control), antilock braking system (ABS) and electronic stability control (ESC) to ensure the Explorer is set-up for optimal performance on the corresponding terrain type.

For example: Sand mode increases torque sent to the rear differential, allows the engine to be pushed to it’s performance envelop, delays automatic transmission shifts - holding gears for as long as possible, remaps the throttle control for better torque response, desensitizes the 4-wheel electronic traction control to prevent the vehicle from losing momentum and turns off the electronic stability control (ESC) to allow for more yaw movement and to prevent it from hindering the SUV while off road.

Terrain Management is a Land Rover based technology and has been used in it’s 4x4s since the 2005 model year. Land Rover calls it Terrain Response.

The 2011 Explorer has 8.3 inches of ground clearance (with the 20 inch wheel & tire group), with 7.6 inches being the absolute minimum. Explorer features unique heavy-duty suspension components (control arms, jounce bumpers, added suspension travel, etc.) not found on the other D4 platform based vehicles the Explorer is related too. Its not simply just a "Taurus or Flex on stilts", as some people go around saying. There are major design and mechanical differences in the Explorer and its platform siblings.

The Explorer’s monocoque (unibody) chassis is widened, lengthened and raised with underbody components pushed up as high as possible for useable obstacle clearance while also reducing the chances of snagging a component on something. Running boards are no longer offered from the factory, to help increase side obstacle clearance.

During off road and hot weather testing in the sands of the Dubai desert, engineers tinkered with the idea of offering underbody skid plating for additional protection. Skid plates may still be offered on future models.

Off road electronics include 4-wheel electronic traction control, Hill Ascent Assist (HAA) and Hill Descent Control (HDC) to assist in downhill crawling, with programmable downhill speed.

Overall off road crawl ratio is 15.19:1 with high range gearing only. Not bad for high range gearing, but low range gearing will be missed by some.

Again, it’s not going to be a rock crawler like a Grand Cherokee, 4Runner and the like, but for most people, the new Explorer should have enough off road capability to do most general off roading tasks. It will certainly be better off road than say a BMW X5 or equivalent.

The V6 Ecoboost is putting out 350+ HP. Does the Explorer REALLY need that kind of power? At some point the unibody is going to be the weak link here, not the engine (if it isn't already) so towing capacity would be limited to the frame and not the engine power.

The 2010 Flex inexplicably has the Ecoboost V6 for the AWD models but can still only haul 4500 lbs. (sarcasm aside, can someone explain to me why this much power is needed in a mid-sized SUV?)

It should be competition for the Grand Cherokee. It gets a 360hp/390 ft. lb. torque V8 and tows 7400 pounds, yet it's a unibody. ;)

I think the new Explorer makes complete sense. I know others will not agree, but it was just the path took a long time ago. The rock crawling market is so small and niche that it really doesn't make sense to go down that road. ..and that's coming from someone who really uses there Explorer for Rock Crawling. But I also have my wife's '06 Explorer which serves it purpose. My wife really wanted a edge, but we decided on what is now the 3rd Explorer we have owned, and the 8th Explorer with in our Family. As a family Hauler with capability it's really the right choice. And I can for sure see how this next generation Explorer will most likely be our '06 replacements in a few years.

Well said. The new Ex does make complete sense, and always did.

I looked at an Edge too, but the only way to get cargo space comparable to the Explorer was to drop the rear seat which doesn't work when my 6yo would have nowhere to sit then...

I'll have to think of some more questions that most people don't seem to want to ask... I'm not worried about any of this, but I know some are...

How about "What about the move to front wheel drive? Is the drivetrain stout enough to take some good pops when driving offroad, or say, driving into a snowbank to get out of your driveway?"

I want to know what the influence for the major change in looks was? (I can probably answer this myself, but I didn't design it.)

I want to know what the influence for the major change in looks was? (I can probably answer this myself, but I didn't design it.)

Because people want a modern and stylish car...Its not about how well it works, but how good it looks.
Take a look at europe's new SUVs, that's what we'll be seeing in a few years. Its a "modern" design. I don't like it, but my vote doesn't change any opinions.

The next generation escape...Its in europe so its coming here.
0811_13_z+2011_ford_kuga+front_three_quarter_view.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Part of it has to do with Jim Holland, the chief design engineer for the new Explorer.

Jim Holland was the chief design engineer for Land Rover and oversaw the design work on the outgoing Range Rover. There are a lot of Land Rover like influences in the new Explorer’s appearance, including the "floating roof effect" with blacked out A, B and D pillars (the C pillar remains body colored). The doors are also designed with a large overlap at the bottom and extra sealing to help reduce wind noise, a design which is also used on the Range Rover.

Back