Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer Audio & Navigation

Notices

Explorer Audio & Navigation Audio and navigation systems. CD, DVD, MP3, GPS, Video, Mobile Computer, Speakers, Amplifiers.

Can you install an Aux jack on an OEM 6 Disc Stereo HU?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
F15E_WSO
Washington DC area
2002 XLT; 2001 Exp Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Can you install an Aux jack on an OEM 6 Disc Stereo HU?

Was shopping for an Aux RCA adapter to wire into the standard Ford Head Unit (Model # 1L2F-18C815-LA) stereo harness and the guy on the phone was pretty adamant that with the 20 pin connector on my 2001 Explorer Sport the set up will not work.

For the Aux connector to work you would need an "external CD Changer" (which would be one of the old style things under the seat that you load with a cartridge like the old pioneer CD disc holders for example). Wiring in the new Aux would disable the external CD but that is where it would hook up to come out of the radio sound.

Has anyone ever added an Aux RCA type jack that you could then plug in a 3.5mm jack and play your MP3 player for example to the Factory Stereo in truck like mine?

Last edited by F15E_WSO; 12-12-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added radio model number
F15E_WSO is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Big_DP
Brisbane
2000 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15E_WSO View Post
Was shopping for an Aux RCA adapter to wire into the standard Ford Head Unit (Model # 1L2F-18C815-LA) stereo harness and the guy on the phone was pretty adamant that with the 20 pin connector on my 2001 Explorer Sport the set up will not work.

For the Aux connector to work you would need an "external CD Changer" (which would be one of the old style things under the seat that you load with a cartridge like the old pioneer CD disc holders for example). Wiring in the new Aux would disable the external CD but that is where it would hook up to come out of the radio sound.

Has anyone ever added an Aux RCA type jack that you could then plug in a 3.5mm jack and play your MP3 player for example to the Factory Stereo in truck like mine?
I just use one of these

Big_DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Beastb15
Kansas City, Missouri

'04 EB

Vehicle Specs

So if I'm reading this right, you want to play an MP3 player through your factory headunit?

The guy is correct in a sense, I think. You may be able to wire it up, but unless your factory headunit has an AUX button or another input type button (external 6 disc changer), there is no way for the headunit to "know" to accept the input from the MP3 player.

Or am I missing completely on what you are trying to do?

Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Goes in-line between the antenna and the receiver for a clean install:

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD...2270227&sr=8-1

Old 12-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
wicsmith1997
Darlington, SC
97 XLT, OHV, 4x4, auto

Vehicle Specs

I just use a tape adapter. Works great. Only thing I really need to do is add a sub to the system.
wicsmith1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
F15E_WSO
Washington DC area
2002 XLT; 2001 Exp Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastb15 View Post
So if I'm reading this right, you want to play an MP3 player through your factory headunit?

The guy is correct in a sense, I think. You may be able to wire it up, but unless your factory headunit has an AUX button or another input type button (external 6 disc changer), there is no way for the headunit to "know" to accept the input from the MP3 player.

Or am I missing completely on what you are trying to do?
Nope you are tracking my issue, I think my son who drives the car would fore go the CD player and ALL its capability (6 discs x 15 tracks = 90 songs) for what his phone or Mp3 player holds--I get what he wants to do. We're just having trouble finding an elegant solution.

I am not convinced that FM modulators are totally clean regarding interference. We live in a high population density place and clear freqs are not easy to come buy. I understand that the modulator is a cut-in but am not sure I truly understand that. Is when it is on it will basically "take out" the FM antenna and therefore ALL frequencies would be clear as there is no antennae?

Also he wants a clean look (and I don't blame him) without a bunch of switches and wires etc.. I know that a good install (that is what we would do) would hide everything except for the switch and plug. My other son has a Mazda3 and its Head unit made all this easy.

I also read that a ford OEM is not really 2 DIN in our truck but more like 1 7/8 DIN? is that true?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
F15E_WSO
Washington DC area
2002 XLT; 2001 Exp Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZwack View Post

Thanks to all for providing the examples of modulators. I have seen this concept and not yet ruled it out. I am assuming each of you have the particular types displayed and are happy with them?

Any known gotchas or things you would different regarding install or what you don't like about them?

THanks
Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I am not convinced that FM modulators are totally clean regarding interference. We live in a high population density place and clear freqs are not easy to come buy. I understand that the modulator is a cut-in but am not sure I truly understand that. Is when it is on it will basically "take out" the FM antenna and therefore ALL frequencies would be clear as there is no antennae?
Exactly - the FM modulator acts as the antenna. There is a different type of modulator that just transmits over the air at some frequency - these are the types that are highly susceptible to interference (my cousins has one). The in-line modulators are pretty much interference proof because no one would be transmitting at that frequency and at that much power to cauz disturbance (FCC).

Quote:
Also he wants a clean look (and I don't blame him) without a bunch of switches and wires etc.. I know that a good install (that is what we would do) would hide everything except for the switch and plug. My other son has a Mazda3 and its Head unit made all this easy.
Off the top of my head, the only way to interface to the head unit with a smart phone/mp3 player without any wires or any visible accessory (FM modulator) would be over bluetooth - but that of course requires that both ends (the head unit and the phone/mp3 player) have bluetooth capability.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
crowley84
2003 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

I have an '03 Sport with the CD6 Premier factory system and I successfully installed the PAC audio Ipod adapter even though I was told it would not work with the factory in dash changer. Here is my post summarizing the install (no pics). This may or may not be useful in helping install a aux input. Cheers.

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297089
crowley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
F15E_WSO
Washington DC area
2002 XLT; 2001 Exp Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZwack View Post

Got one of these on line as suggested by IZwack and put it in today after Christmas.

Tapped into the Lt Grn/Vio (always hot wire) and grounded to the chassis of the Radio HU. Had to play with the two freq options as one of them had more local interference. Used my IPod shuffle to ops test the system and it sounded pretty poor. This was based on the quality of the MP3s on the Shuffle. When my son brought out his Media-Player (Cowan S9) with much cleaner rips and better settings the music was much more crisp and clean. This was a very good $30 solution. PM me with questions

Last edited by F15E_WSO; 01-01-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: update

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page