Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

Rear Drum Brake Adjustment

Old 05-30-2001, 09:58 AM   #1
David S.
Ogden, Utah
92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Rear Drum Brake Adjustment

I was getting a neverending squealing from my rear brakes for the last week. The drums have never been replaced so I decided just to replace them. When I took off the old drums, I backed off the star screw a few turns to get the new drums on. Instead of removing the rubber plug and readjusting the star screw, I believe I read somewhere that you can just drive in reverse and keep applying the brake to turn and star screw and the pads will be properly adjusted. Is this right?

20 mpg Hwy.
Big O Dual Groove Tires
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-30-2001, 10:44 AM   #2
JDraper
Somewhat Functional
McVeytown, PA

'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Yup. That'll work. The system is set up so that when the pads expand outwards, a lever moves the star adjuster automatically. You should have it somewhere near the proper adjustment point before you do it.

"Ex"plorer's: '92 Sport, '94 Sport, '01 XLS
Our Crappy Website
Old 05-30-2001, 03:40 PM   #3
Nick K
Albuquerque, New Mexico
94 Explorer Sport 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The book says reverse back 8 feet and then apply the brake firmly. Do this 2-3 times.
Old 05-30-2001, 11:45 PM   #4
mrboyle
I Drive By Brail
Fruita, CO

'96 XLT '80 Toy

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
According to the fine print, this works. In reality it rarely works as designed. The "self adjusters" were designed to keep the shoes properly adjusted as they wear, not to adjust the brakes initally. To do this properly you need to manually adjust them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffWackDaddy
Some people go looking for God, others get broadsided by them
Old 05-31-2001, 04:52 PM   #5
Dre
Elite Explorer
Chicago

94 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
and that from my own experience is pretty tough.......... I'm a perfectionist.....and it took me good hour to adjust my brakes...... take the wheel off, take the drum off, adjust the screw...put everything back on and test....... then take the wheel off again, take the drum off and on and on... It must feel just right...... otherwise I'm using just the front brakes and wasting front pads and rotors......

I don't know, just me...

Old 05-31-2001, 05:57 PM   #6
Maniak
Moderator-Stock 91-94
Vail, Arizona

1992 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
You don't "need" to take the wheel/drum off to adjust it..

There is an access hole (should have a rubber plug in it).. You can use a Flat Blade screwdriver.. or the acutal tool.. (kinda like a flat blade screw driver.. but with a flat end on each side.. and the metal is bent to make it easer to get it in there).. You need to rotate the adjustment wheel "up" to tighten it. If I don't have the time, I'll just lift the truck (put on jack stands).. and then rotate the tire as I'm adjusting it.. Once I hear the shoes start to scrape the drum.. I know that side is done.. I then do the other side..

When I want to get it perfect.. I lift the truck (jack stands).. remove 1 wheel and 1 drum.. then I adjust the other side.. (this way you are only feeling/hearing the 1 side).. Once this side is done I pull the tire/drum of the finished tire and repeat the adjust ment on the other side.. This will get it as close to exact as possible..

I have found that by removing the 1 tire/drum makes it easier to get right.. but I've done it enough times now that I can get it right with the tires still on.

Don't forget.. If you drums are worn down (with the shoes adjust correctly).. or you adjust it too tight you will have one heck of a time getting the drum off.

~Mark

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page