Flat Black Explorer (Murdered, Blacked out) Pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flat Black Explorer (Murdered, Blacked out) Pics

lil_shane84

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
03' Explorer XLT
ive been all over the net trying to find flat black explorers, i wanna see what people have done and what kind of paint they have used.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you want to flat black your whole truck? im pretty sure its hard to keep it clean if you do that

I doubt it would be any harder, but I don't know how good it will look?

A cheaper alternative(maybe?) is to find someone who can do a vehicle wrap. That way if you get tired of it, you can peel it off:D

X2 ^^ much cheaper!!

I do agree with Limited02, the Matte Black Wrap is a saaweeet idea, but make SURE you get it RIGHT, or get a pro to do it.

A retard here in VA did it himself on his brand spankin new Beamer a couple months back. 2 days later it was bubbling and peeling and looking terrible, but with the help of my photography, it still looks sweet.

DSC_3934.jpg

uhh wraps are way expensive. i was going to have my streetbike wrapped and it woulda cost me like 600 bucks matte black is really cheap to spray, i would go with a hotrod kinda finish so it doesnt look like a cheap ghetto primer.

oh, my bad. :dunno:

He got all the wrap for under $800 and the lowest reputable shop quoted him something around $2750 to matte an already black car.

Well, if it helps any I haven't seen any flat black 3rd Gens around here, but if you search the 'ZAPV' thread, theres plenty of 2nd Gens in there :\

I started to paint my 88 bronco II with John Deere blitz black, I think I paid $18 a quart from the local farm shop, Its pretty nice stuff but i never got to see how It would last because I never drive the thing. You can do a two stage paint with any color base then mix an additive to the clear to make it flat..... I love other colors than black

5733_105832194068_509424068_2164083_675555_n.jpg

3273745392_236f9fdb35_b.jpg

If you go onto cardomain.com and search for 3rd gen Explorers, there is an all-black Ex that will give you an idea(just picture it matte/flat) on what you want.

I plan on blacking my Explorer out too, but I'm staying the the gloss black and leaving my wheels polished(maybe black chrome?). I won't be working much this winter and I'm picking up a paint gun and going to practice with a few pieces on my Ex before I decide to do the entier thing. May the paint gods be with me:D

Flat black would look awesome, without gloss the dings shouldnt show up too much, and as far as keeping it clean, well, whats a little dirt between friends?

It aint an X but flat is the new black:

Attachments

• RNEM734J.jpg
    RNEM734J.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 9,231

Here is a old picture of mine, its all black but not flat.
4952_96143884068_509424068_2009549_4249748_n.jpg

the trick is to use a flat/matte clearcoat... that way you dont end up with that primer texture

heres my ex...paint is metallic black with some silver in it...looks like a grayish color at some angles...black svt wheels and tints on all windows including the windshield...not flat black...def wouldve loved it but i like it like this also...another suggestion...

Attachments

• explorer.JPG
    explorer.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 51,030

the trick is to use a flat/matte clearcoat... that way you dont end up with that primer texture

she will be wet-sanded like a ****, no blotches, no zebra stripes, and smooth as a baby's bottom!!

heres my ex...paint is metallic black with some silver in it...looks like a grayish color at some angles...black svt wheels and tints on all windows including the windshield...not flat black...def wouldve loved it but i like it like this also...another suggestion...

I'd like to see a closeup in the sun. You mentioned it's kind of like, Tuxedo Black on the new Fords?

I do vehicle wraps and have wrapped bikes and pretty much everything from golf carts to buses and trolleys if you take your time it's not to bad but the Matte or Flat Black is expensive because you need to buy permeated or have a sign shop print black and then use a matte laminate. Cost about the same but the permeated would holed up better. If you go the wrap route Make sure you get something with air release it will avoid the bubbles the guy with the beamer got. I personally prefer 3M Controltac with Air Egress or Oracal is good to. We recently did a roof hood and trunk of a EVO if I can find the pics I will post. Nice thing about the wrap is 3M gives a 5 year warranty for clean removal so as long as the installer knows what he is doing and does not scratch the paint if you ever got bored you could simply remove it and bam back to factory paint. Be forewarned if the truck has ever been repainted anywhere you can be almost guaranteed the vinyl will take that paint with it upon removal.

oh, my bad. :dunno:

He got all the wrap for under $800 and the lowest reputable shop quoted him something around $2750 to matte an already black car.

Well, if it helps any I haven't seen any flat black 3rd Gens around here, but if you search the 'ZAPV' thread, theres plenty of 2nd Gens in there :\

Well he might have gotten the material uncut for $800 but if it was installed for that somebody lost money. and it does not matter what color the car is when you start it all has to be installed and cover everything anyway. I had a lady with a 07 650i Convertible BMW Alpine white have me wrap the whole car white with a metallic laminate to protect the paint. We charged $2850.

For the most part it is all figured by square foot for material and install.
The industry standard is about $2 a sq foot.

Be forewarned if the truck has ever been repainted anywhere you can be almost guaranteed the vinyl will take that paint with it upon removal.

Even with a quality paint job, proper prep, the paint will lift?

Yeah pretty much.... I wrapped a Nissan GTR he had the rear bumper repainted due to a color mismatch from the factory done through the local dealership. I did not question it as the window sticker was still on the car and delivered to me. So I wrapped it. About a month later he got rear-ended by a lady in a parking lot nothing serious but the vinyl ripped and peeled a little. he brought it back to me to rewrap the bumper off came the second coat of paint with the vinyl. I have also seen this happen on other cars as well. I am in Florida so the beating the vinyl takes down here is worse than just about anywhere else being in florida even reduces the warranty from the vinyl manufacturers. So you could always get lucky but we warn everyone there is a very strong chance of aftermarket paint lift upon removal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And the $2 a sq. foot I mentioned earlier is install only. You can figure for a wrap around 13-15$ a square foot for design material and install.

Back