PCV causes massive oil leak?

ragajungle

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 BroncoII & 05 Taurus
So yesterday Humble [89 2.9Lv6] stated puking oil all over the place - the rear main seal, the front of the lower intake (I think), a bit from the valve covers, and who knows from where else - the engine is soaked in oil, whereas just 2 days ago it was bone dry. Now I have to put a quart + per day.

At fist I thought it was because of the cold snap, but this is crazy leaking. I did some reading around and I found multiple posts / multiple sites claiming a blocked/defective PCV will cause pressure to build and seals to blow.

I seriously JUST put a new PCV in the day before this crap happened. I wonder if this is coincidence or if I got the wrong PCV valve? Maybe the sping in it is rated differently?

See the last post:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/103826-rear-main-seal.html

If it's bad or in backwards your engine will build crankcase pressure and it has to come out somewhere .... or everywhere. You have found your problem, IMO.

Update

So today I replaced the PCV valve and topped off the fluids once again. After nearly 200 miles the massive oil leak has just about stopped! There is a bit of oil seepage but nothing like it was! Everytime I parked there was a Exxon Valdez - now it is a few sprinkles... I think in the passed 1000 miles I put in 4 Quarts of Synthetic 5w30....

Case in Point= If it does not have the part number on it for you vehicke DONT USE IT!

This is especially flabbergasting for old-skool techs like me that used to believe that if the PCV is in place you are good. Or if the PCV is "Stopped up" you should replace it..........apparently when you have a different rated spring it could have =VERY different effects. In my case it blew every seal in the engine out....

MENTAL NOTE MADE

Back