Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

can i change a automatic to a 5 speed?

Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
winterfresh24
newberg OR
91 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
can i change a automatic to a 5 speed?

i have a 1991 explorer 4x4 105k

my tranny is giving me some shifting problems and i have thought about what it would take to convert it to a 5 speed. i looked by the pedals and i have the mounts for the new pedal already in it and i know i can use a 5 speed from a ranger. i am just wondering if it could be done
winterfresh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Midjurion
Boise, ID
'91 XLT 5speed stock

Vehicle Specs

Found this thread that would probably help you get going in the right direction on swapping
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=221708

Old 12-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
FIND
Vermillion, SD
99 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah... Just buy a whole parts vehicle and swap everything over.

It isn't THAT expensive though to have a tranny rebuilt.... There is one seller on ebay that doesn't do a bad job of it and is reasonably priced... they are in arizona or something... so after shipping and then shipping your core back, it is usually around $1100. If you have a decent tranny place in your area, that is about how much a rebuild costs anyways half the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICE59FORDF100 View Post
Dont forget numbers. Teacher Ladies LOVE numbers
FIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Baddecision93
Orrville, OH
92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

This guy shows how he did it. I would personally describe his skill as "above average" but he makes it look very doable, lol.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=253888

Remember though, once you get your old tranny out you are really past the point of no return. Your vehicle is disabled until you complete the swap. If you have access to another vehicle until you are finished it might be a good security blanket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRocha View Post
I can tell you Jesus is very popular when working on 10+yrd vehicles in the rust belt.
Baddecision93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Joes4x4Ranger
The center of Hell, Parker, Arizona!
'91 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I had a donor rig ready in my garage with the 5 speed. I did the entire swap in a little over two days. It is a plug and play swap, no cutting welding or other custom modification needed. When you change the pedal cluster, un-bolt the wiring bulk head connector and you will have room to remove and replace the pedal shaft. Be sure to take the under hood wire harness to the tranny, neutral safety switch, and starter from the donor rig as well. The starters are different

If you tow anything heavier that a jet ski, stick with your automatic and have it rebuilt. Be ready to replace clutches every 3-4 years. Beware of weak reverse shaft and input shaft bearings on the manual tranny. Buy a new slave cylinder and master cylinder, and clutch for the manual, these fail regularly.

I also did the electric to manual transfer case swap. When I'm off road I DO NOT want to depend on cheap shit electric parts to get me in 4 wheel drive.

1991 Explorer XL 4X4, Reman-Motorcraft engine, 2.5 inch lift, Duff extended radius arms, Pro Comp Extended Steel Brake lines, Powertrax No-Slip Front and Rear, Warn Manual hubs, 31 X 10.50 BF Goodrich on Panther 15 X 8's, Overhead console.
Joes4x4Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
winterfresh24
newberg OR
91 xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks a lot everyone. i think i want to be starting on this project soon. the one thing i was wondering about to was if i should get a floor mounted 4x4 shifter. i think it would be better but im not sure if that would be to hard to do. i feel confident in my ability to do this because i just replaced my intake manifold gasket. and that sucked but its working great now.
winterfresh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
FIND
Vermillion, SD
99 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes4x4Ranger View Post
I had a donor rig ready in my garage with the 5 speed. I did the entire swap in a little over two days. It is a plug and play swap, no cutting welding or other custom modification needed. When you change the pedal cluster, un-bolt the wiring bulk head connector and you will have room to remove and replace the pedal shaft. Be sure to take the under hood wire harness to the tranny, neutral safety switch, and starter from the donor rig as well. The starters are different

If you tow anything heavier that a jet ski, stick with your automatic and have it rebuilt. Be ready to replace clutches every 3-4 years. Beware of weak reverse shaft and input shaft bearings on the manual tranny. Buy a new slave cylinder and master cylinder, and clutch for the manual, these fail regularly.

I also did the electric to manual transfer case swap. When I'm off road I DO NOT want to depend on cheap shit electric parts to get me in 4 wheel drive.
Every 3-4 years what? I have 3.27 gearing on mine and I tow cars with it sometimes. Just take care of the dang thing and you can get 200,000 miles out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICE59FORDF100 View Post
Dont forget numbers. Teacher Ladies LOVE numbers
FIND is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page