Recall 09S09 - Speed Control System Mod - What to watch out for, | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recall 09S09 - Speed Control System Mod - What to watch out for,

EasyRhino

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4
if anything. . .

Taking the 2002 Ex' down tomorrow to ahve this recall done. Anybody else have it? Any potential dealership screw ups to be on the look out for?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if they are just doing the wire mod. it should take about five minutes

I had mine done in October and they were done before I even finished making my cup of coffee in the waiting room.
Painless in and out, you will see the wires they worked on in the drivers side rear next time you open the hood.
Not sure what it does, but it was quick and painless

Had mine done on Monday. The dealer told me that without this wire mod I would start leaking brake fluid cause the cruse works with the fluid. In and out in ten min. and my brakes work better.

Had mine done on Monday. The dealer told me that without this wire mod I would start leaking brake fluid cause the cruse works with the fluid. In and out in ten min. and my brakes work better.

Okay, I really don't understand this recall - having it done but will find out more about it.

What does not make sense to me is that a speed control mod involving wiring would prevent brake fluid leakage and improve braking???

Okay, that was easy to find and mostly makes sense - many questions on this recall answered in the thread below:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262765

Final thoughts after looking this up

I think that the recall only goes up through 2002.

I have no idea why Radar2819s brakes would appear to be working better unless he had air in his master cylinder perhaps????

i recieved the letter in the mail just have to make time to go down and get it done.

in some models the "ford bean counters" used a cheaper switch to control the speed control.
when you step on the brake it activates the switch and that shuts off the cruise.

well the rubber that seals the switch from the brake fluid in the cheaper switch can be eaten away by the brake fluid.

so the wire mod puts fuses inline with the wiring so that if the fluids eats through the switch rubber it does not ignite the brake fluid and burn your truck to the ground. this has happen to many people I know with all makes and model fords.

if you take your truck in and the switch is leaking brake fluid, they do a different mod which replaces the switch too and takes a little longer to do. and they may have to bleed your brakes.

Ok reviving a 3 month old thread for a question that involves the cruise control along with this recall notice.

My mom currently drives my 02' X as I have lent it to her as a vehicle to get around in. Since i'm the owner of it, Ford did send this recall notice to me in the mail, in which I passed it on to her to take a local dealership to do the work required. She did it which was sometime last year, dont know specific dates, but now she is telling me that the cruise control isnt working properly.

The problem now is, the cruise does work, but on the + and - sign buttons, she says the "minus" one doesnt work such as decelerating and rather than going down in speed its increasing in speeds which is what the "plus" button is suppose to do. I havent had a chance to drive the vehicle and test it out myself and this has just been brought to my attention by her and from what she tells me, its been going on for a while. I know you're all thinking, why not just use the brakes, which I agree, but as anything that is man made, its not going to be perfect. Just wondering if anyone has ran into the same problem or know of a fix without me having to take it to the stealership to have repair work done. Now I know before I gave her the vehicle to drive roughly 2 and half years ago, it was working.

thanks

Its not related to the jumper harness they installed

The problem now is, the cruise does work, but on the + and - sign buttons, she says the "minus" one doesnt work such as decelerating and rather than going down in speed its increasing in speeds which is what the "plus" button is suppose to do.thanks

that would be most likely something wrong with the buttons. Essentially all the buttons share the same wire, but each activates a different resister. One (just guessing here on the numbers) '+' 80ohms and '-' 150ohms, etc. so the bad button maybe actually putting out '+' 80ohms and '-' 85ohms. It thinks your calling for more speed?

Ok reviving a 3 month old thread for a question that involves the cruise control along with this recall notice.

My mom currently drives my 02' X as I have lent it to her as a vehicle to get around in. Since i'm the owner of it, Ford did send this recall notice to me in the mail, in which I passed it on to her to take a local dealership to do the work required. She did it which was sometime last year, dont know specific dates, but now she is telling me that the cruise control isnt working properly.

The problem now is, the cruise does work, but on the + and - sign buttons, she says the "minus" one doesnt work such as decelerating and rather than going down in speed its increasing in speeds which is what the "plus" button is suppose to do. I havent had a chance to drive the vehicle and test it out myself and this has just been brought to my attention by her and from what she tells me, its been going on for a while. I know you're all thinking, why not just use the brakes, which I agree, but as anything that is man made, its not going to be perfect. Just wondering if anyone has ran into the same problem or know of a fix without me having to take it to the stealership to have repair work done. Now I know before I gave her the vehicle to drive roughly 2 and half years ago, it was working.

thanks

My 02 mounty has done that same thing since I bought it last summer. I usually just brake and hit set again when I want to slow down... though it would be nice if there was an easy fix for it!

My 02 mounty has done that same thing since I bought it last summer. I usually just brake and hit set again when I want to slow down... though it would be nice if there was an easy fix for it!

new switches should take care of the problem. Research Air Bag removal before attempting (you need to discharge the Cap's by unhooking the battery for like 10min). . . .i think it has to come off.

In march 2012 i bought ford explorer2002 xlt engine 4.6 running good but i have a problum after 5 mils OD light blinking and backup lights not working i checked every thing but i canot fix or canot find the backup switch also, now i got a recall 09S09 safety.

Had the 09S09 spped control switch recall done on My '95 last Friday. Have to go back today though, because somehow, now the Cruise doesn't work at all! Not that I need it that often, but someimtes the 25 mile drive to work is nice to not have my foot on the pedal!!!

Had the 09S09 spped control switch recall done on My '95 last Friday. Have to go back today though, because somehow, now the Cruise doesn't work at all! Not that I need it that often, but someimtes the 25 mile drive to work is nice to not have my foot on the pedal!!!

I just had mine done this summer. Never have used the cruise control much, but just tried it the other day and it doesn't work. When I press the set button, the little green cruise control light comes on, but the car won't maintain speed. I called the dealership and asked them if it could be related, and of course they told me that without a $130 diagnostic there's no way to know. Figures...

Install the new switch!

only on 2002?S or other years?

Check this link out - This is the latest info from Ford, dated April 10, 2008.
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers
SUBJECT: Safety Recall 05S28 - Supplement #15 : 1992-2004 Multiple Vehicle Lines - Speed Control System Modification...

http://www.allstatetrucks.com/Recalls/compliance%20recalls/05s28/R05S28%20dealer%20bulletin.pdf

In a nutshell, the dealer will install the Fused Jumper Harness (FJH) on all affected vehicles. If, and only if, your Speed Control Deactivation Switch (SCDS) is wet and leaking, they will replace it as well, with part #1L1Z-9F924-AA

MY ADVICE is to replace the SCDS on your vehicle even if it is not leaking! Let Ford put in the FJH, and do the switch yourself. Part is $16.61 (+S&H) from Tasca Parts http://tascaparts.com/parts/index.cfm?searchText=1L1Z-9F924-AA+&make=Ford&action=oePartSearch&siteid=213668 or AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake (previously Tousley Ford) https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/parts/2001/FORD/Explorer/XLS/index.cfm?siteid=214771

I have not checked the price at Stealership yet...

I just got my 2002 back and the cruise does not now work also.
Dealer refused to fix. What ever happen to your issue?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back