99 Explorer with a minor leak in the evaporative system. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer with a minor leak in the evaporative system.

LakeEffect

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer
I forgot the code but my check engine light is on and a scan reveals a " minor leak in evaporate system" when I fill my tank I smell gas but no leaking gas. I noticed the fill neck gets wet were it meets the rubber hose when I am filling the tank. Will pin hole leaks in this area cause this code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 95-01 section. Did you try to tighten the clamp on that rubber hose connection? Did you see if there is rust on the filler neck? Don't take chances even with a minor leak. Gasoline could drip on the ground, and ignite while it's parked if somebody throws a cigarette on the floor. Besides, with the high price of fuel, why waste any of it?

Thanks for the fast reply. I am probably going to replace the fill neck anyways because its bubbled (rusted) near the rubber hose connection.
Do you now if it is a dealer only item?

I see your from Brooklyn. Are you dug out from your storm yet? I am from Buffalo so I know what u guys went thru.

Just checked with them and they are out of stock. I`ll research one tomorow. Thanks

You could try a few other vendors to see if they have it in stock if it's going to be out of stock for a long time. You could send them a PM or an email too.

Thanks for the fast reply. I see that you're from Brooklyn. Are you dug out from your storm yet? I am from Buffalo so I know what you guys went through.
There is still a lot of snow with minimal parking. They expect more snow on Friday. I'm sure that your area has a lot more snow that here.

A faulty gas cap can also throw the evap codes.

It's a very common rust out area. As you can see yourself, the metal fill and return pipes are slightly angled down into the hose so all the crap (snow, water, mud, salt, etc.) cakes on and runs in the joint under the rubber hose. When you pull it apart you will very likely find a hole covered in rust flakes anywhere from pea-sized to 1-inch+. Unfortunately I haven't seen a real good way to prevent this from reoccuring, but swapping them out is very quick and painless.

As I'm sure you have already seen these parts run $100 to $350 new. Assuming the rest of the filler isn't rusted through or have cracked/leaking plastic, repairing it really isn't difficult or expensive. This is basic stuff here - straight steel pipe is cheap and sold everywhere. Cut off the rusted out area, wire brush the old paint off and overlap at least 2 inches with new pipe. Sodder (don't use torch anywhere near the truck) or JB weld it. Run a quick check for leaks before coat of rustoleum paint and you're back in business. Cost was under $10 when I did one of mine last summer.

Back