Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Fuel Gauge fluctuate

Old 01-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
MickHoolie
seattle, wa
2000 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Dk Exp Fuel Gauge fluctuate

Greetings All,

I have a 2000 XLS 2WD 4.0L 5-speed with a funky fuel gauge. On 3 occasions over the past year, I have been driving down the interstate with about 3/4 tank of gas and the gauge visibly begins to drop by more than a quarter tank. When I accelerate, the gauge returns to the correct level. This will continue this way for about 30 minutes before resuming normal operations.

The occurances have been months apart. I know how far I can drive on a tank so running out of fuel is not an issue...much. This is just an annoyance.

Has anyone else seen this and/or know what the cause/fix is?

Mick
MickHoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
BrianDye
Michigan
2009 Edge Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sounds like you could have a bad anti-slosh unit. (Dont know much about them, but if I had to guess, I would say thats a good place to start)

Its what basically makes your fuel gauge NOT bounce around while going up/down hills, accellerating/braking etc.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
MickHoolie
seattle, wa
2000 XLS

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I wouldn't say that it bounces, it just slowly drops until I get on the accelerator. When I back off, it begins to slowly drop again. Really, quite odd.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Kevlar7R
Elite Explorer
Phoenix, AZ

1997 Mountaineer 5.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Perhaps an electrical issue? Most fuel gauges are a variable resistor, connected to a float. It sends a level signal by varying the voltage coming out. If the voltage going in is fluctuating, the voltage going out will be too. The fact that it picks up when you up the revs (and thereby uping the voltage output of the alternator) lends to this theory as well.
Kevlar7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
jmoracco
amarillo
98 explorer4x4

Vehicle Specs

Your not alone with this issue, but im sure mine is due to movement of the gasoline on accel and braking. whether it is due to electrical malfunction and or mechanical failure, most likely a new sending/fuel pump unit would be in order. For me I will most likely wait till I need to replace fuel pump, but thats coming from someone who has already spent countless hours and bloody knuckles getting the whole timing components replaced....There is also some really good threads on fuel pump removal and replacement. Good luck
jmoracco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
AE86PandaDude
Kent, WA
'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

maybe the explorer is saying that its not having fun right now and wants you to step on the gas and haul butt to wherever you are going.....

interior
body damage
AE86PandaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
MickHoolie
seattle, wa
2000 XLS

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
My XLS has this happen only on rare occasions but my sister-in-law has the issue constantly. I will start checking out the anti slosh unit. I'm guessing that is the least expensive piece. Also, I will check the connections.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
firepop5
floral park ny
96 EB

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 96 5.0 V8. I started having this problem several years ago. Since a new fuel pump/sender unit was installed a few months before, (and I didn't want to drop the tank) I assumed the problem was electrical, the gauge or the anti-slosh unit. I went to a junk yard and inquired about an anti-slosh module. They would only sell me an entire cluster. I next went to the dealer and found you cannot buy the module alone, only a kit with a new fuel gauge, the a/s module, a new temp. gauge and a new temp. gauge sender. I was told a/s module and fuel gauge are calibrated to each other and must be changed together. The same for the temp gauge and sender. The kit cost $160. The 2 gauges came attached to a portion for the cluster. Alll went well until I tried to change the temp gauge sender. I cracked the lower intake manifold by cross threading the new sender. I can't post what came out of my mouth then. $800 later for a used manifold installed plus the $160 for the kit, the fuel gauge still acted like it was possessed!

Sorry for the long story, but looking back, I would leave it alone.

About a year later, the gauge started acting normally again!!!

Since then I've read that high sulphur content in certain brands of gasoline can cause a coating to form on the sender and cause the erratic behavior. They recommend several doses of Tech-ron fuel cleaner. I would try this and start buying another brand of gasoline.
firepop5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
fuel gauge

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page