Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Thumping noise in front wheel

Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
j4bs4209333

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Thumping noise in front wheel

Wondering if anyone ever had the same problem as me. 2002 Explorer 4.6L 4x4. When I am driving I hear a loud thumping noise from what sounds like the front driver's wheel. The noise starts at about 20mph and is louder the faster I go. I can also hear a roaring noise, which sounds like a typical bad hub noise, but would a bad hub thump? It also feels like it's binding up, especially when taking a left, but the caliper isn't frozen. The noise is pretty consistent when going straight, it lessens a little bit when going right, and gets worse when taking a left or hugging a left curve. Last night I had to make a u-turn and when I cut the wheel all the way left and went the tire locked up, I would have sworn the tire fell off, but when I backed off the wheel a little bit it was fine again. I've replaced the 2 rear hubs and checked the front hubs and they have no play in them at all. Checked the front suspension, and nothing wrong there either. I recently had the driver's rear hub completely lock up on me so I thought about that, but when the front end is off the ground the tire spins freely by hand and there's no scraping noise coming from the hub. I think I can eliminate front differential issues because if I jack up one front tire it spins freely without the other side having to be off the ground, so I think that means that the differential only engages in 4wd. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. My first guess was the hub, but I've never heard of a hub thumping or binding up when turning a certain way. I'm now thinking it might be the cv axle but I don't want to play "guess the part". Can anyone give me a suggestion? I don't have the money to bring it somewhere so I'm hoping someone else might have had a similar issue and can help me out. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
j4bs4209333 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
mmartin8888
Asheville North Carolina
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

same issue

I just dropped it off today, will let you know what they say. It feels like it is binding and a metal sound. It is coming from front left wheel
mmartin8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Ruffway25
Howell NJ
02 sport

Vehicle Specs

Front wheel bearings. Autozone. $120 a piece. Might as well do both. About a two hour job if your mechanicaly competent.
Ruffway25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
j4bs4209333

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thank You. Mine's just getting worse. It feels like I'm riding on a stuck caliper.
j4bs4209333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
EasyRhino
Kailua, Hawai'i
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffway25 View Post
Front wheel bearings. Autozone. $120 a piece. Might as well do both. About a two hour job if your mechanicaly competent.
I agree with this. A common problem and somewhat easily fixed. Just buy good bearings (there is a lot of junk out there) and be patient with the three bolts behind the knuckle that holds the bearing in place. Oh, and be careful with the ABS wiring - it doesn't like being abused.

I also agree with the recommendation to do both at once, as there is a likelihood that both will fail eventually. Ask yourself, how far behind can the 'good' bearing be?

The only thing I might disagree with is the two hour estimate. Some have had problems getting the bolts in/out and getting the axle nut off, or getting the axle half-shaft splines to disengage the hubs. So hope for two hours (can be done), but allot more time just in case.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page