Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

Depressurize the fuel system?

Old 06-06-2001, 02:18 PM   #1
redhat
burke, va
96 eb

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question Depressurize the fuel system?

What is the quickest and easiest way to depressurize the fuel system - in preps for fuel filter replacement?

Thanks.
redhat is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Elite Explorer Special Offer!! -- Join between Nov 28 - Dec 5, 2014 and get two years for the price of one. That's right just $20 for a two yearElite Explorer membership. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-06-2001, 02:28 PM   #2
JDraper
Somewhat Functional
McVeytown, PA

'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
With the ignition off, either pump the gas pedal a couple of times (you'll have to wait a while before you starta it again to let the gas clear afterwards) or depress the schrader valve on the fuel rails (it's the same type of valve as you have on your tires). The second is the recommended way.

"Ex"plorer's: '92 Sport, '94 Sport, '01 XLS
Our Crappy Website
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 02:36 PM   #3
redhat
burke, va
96 eb

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
JDraper - thanks for the help.
redhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 02:47 PM   #4
JoeC5
n/a
93 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Do you have to depressurize the fuel system before you change fuel filters?? I usually just get underneath the truck and change it right out with no problems at all.
JoeC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 02:47 PM   #5
CHH777
Once...
Houston, TX

1994 Mazda Navajo LX 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I just trip the rollover safety shutoff switch and run the engine till it dies...
CHH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 02:55 PM   #6
Robert
Mesa, AZ
'97 4x4 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by JDraper
With the ignition off, either pump the gas pedal a couple of times (you'll have to wait a while before you starta it again to let the gas clear afterwards) or depress the schrader valve on the fuel rails (it's the same type of valve as you have on your tires). The second is the recommended way.
On a fuel injected engine, pumping the gas pedal shouldn't work. As long as the ignition is off, the fuel injectors aren't injecting any fuel. The only thing the pedal does is open up the throttle body butterfly to allow more air in. The computer then injects the fuel in response to the opening of the throttle body.

I don't know about the second suggestion either. It wasn't in the Service Manual. What was in the service manual was installing a vacuum pump to the valve and using it to bleed off the pressure. An alternate method was to start the vehicle, and pull the connector off the top of the fuel shut-off switch and run it until it dies (a few minutes). That is the method I used when replacing my fuel filter on my '97 and it worked very easily.

4.56 Powertrax No-Slip, SOHC V6, SuperChip, K&N FIPK (#57-2513-1), Borla cat-back (#14748), 2" torsion lift, 3" PA body lift (#853), Monroe Reflex shocks, 285 75R16 BF Goodrich T/A ko, 2WD mod
Earnhardt Ford, Berge Ford, U-Haul
My Explorer
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 02:57 PM   #7
Robert
Mesa, AZ
'97 4x4 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Re: Depressurize the fuel system?

Quote:
Originally posted by redhat
What is the quickest and easiest way to depressurize the fuel system - in preps for fuel filter replacement?

Thanks.
Another quick suggestion is to make sure you have the quick disconnect tool before starting the replacement. It sucks to fight and pull on the lines, get one off and find out about the quick disconnects. You will then be looking for another vehicle to drive up to the auto parts store for the $5 tool.

4.56 Powertrax No-Slip, SOHC V6, SuperChip, K&N FIPK (#57-2513-1), Borla cat-back (#14748), 2" torsion lift, 3" PA body lift (#853), Monroe Reflex shocks, 285 75R16 BF Goodrich T/A ko, 2WD mod
Earnhardt Ford, Berge Ford, U-Haul
My Explorer
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 02:59 PM   #8
JoeC5
n/a
93 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Yeah, but do you have to depressurize the system?
JoeC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 03:00 PM   #9
JDraper
Somewhat Functional
McVeytown, PA

'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Brain Fart on suggestion #1. To much time with Quadrajets and 4150's!!! As for the second, that's what my Haynes manual suggested for pressure relief. Tripping the cutoff switch and running it till it dies (suggested above) does the trick too.

You should depressurize the system first so you don't spray fuel all over the place. The system pressure runs 35-45 psi (from memory, I don't have the manual handy). If you pop the filter connectors loose at pressure, you'll have fuel everywhere.

"Ex"plorer's: '92 Sport, '94 Sport, '01 XLS
Our Crappy Website
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page