My 08' trac w/truxxx kit finally!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 08' trac w/truxxx kit finally!!

dbesse

Reaction score
City, State
St. Pete, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport trac XLT
I installed Truxxx kit over the weekend and I'm happy w/the results. The only thing I do not like about the advertising for this kit is that the company says 2.5" for the front & 1.25" for the rear. After receiving the product and examining the front and rear set, it actually only measures close to 2" inches for both. But all in all, my trac looks great!!

Also, with 74,x.. miles on my trac I cleaned the MAS sensor, ALL the carb build-up inside the throttle body area and dropped in a set of NGK Irdium IX plug.. she freakin drives like a CHAMP now!! :burnout:

Unfortunately, the battery in my camera died and I wasn't able to take a snap shot of my trac at stock height. Here are some pics of before & after..
Front w/truxx kit & the rear at stock height.
CIMG1223.jpg

Both front & rear w/truxxx kit.
CIMG1226.jpg

Here's a pic w/ 265/65/17 Nitto Grappler
CIMG1227.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looking sweet! def take some more pics when you get that camera charged back up.

Got some ?'s for ya...
1. How hard was the install on a scale of 1-10?
2. Has the ride comfort changed any?
3. Has the handling been affected? (ie: feeling more roll in corners)
4. Since the lift was different at about 2" for front and back, does the truck sit level or lean to the front or back?

Thanks man!

GSU4x4, no prob on the pics!

Now as to your ?'s..
(1) The over all scale would be a 6. I'm not a mechanic, my father was one in the Air Force and he taught me alot growing up.. but I will tell you this, the front's were a Beeootch to re-install the strut back into place!! All the nuts & bolts were in metric, I would say to have 13-18mm in both wrench & deep socket if you can, and 17mm was the most common size. As for the rear install, its wasn't so bad.

(2) As for ride comfort, to me, it feels like it did improve some!

(3) Good question to ask about the handling.. the vehicle DOES roll more on cornering!! I'm actually looking around to see if anybody makes any aftermarket sway bar or make stiffer sway bar links. I personally believe the links has a better chance in improving the pitch roll on cornering!

(4) The truck does sit close to level now. I wrote down the measure height at stock, which was 33.25" F & 33.50" R (from the ground to the upper inside center wheel fender) after the install of the Truxxx kit, 35.25" F & 35.25" R.

I hope some of this info helps! :thumbsup:

nice, thanks for the info! I've looked into the lift kit and the only thing keeping me from it is my 100k mile warranty, but I'm gonna talk to the company and see what will void it.

Nice job on the install. Looks great!

I love mine. Now I just need some new tires to fill in the extra space :D

Lil98Sport4x4,
What size tire are you gonna run with? I bought my tires for dirty cheap, but when it comes time to replacing them I'll probably go w/different size rim & tire.

I have my eye on a set of BFG A/T 275/70 R17s (32s). I had 32s on my 98 X, and I loved 'em.

I'm really having a tough time trying to find an OEM wheel spec (backspacing and offset), so I pick out wheels that fit.

debesse,Your truck looks great.If u dont mind were did u get the lift and what was the cost??

howy03,
I purchased mine from Tirerack.com. I think the total price cause I had it shipped 3 days was $299.00.

Nice truck. Are they the same tires and wheels?

You mentioned the difference in the height, on a level surface, does your truck now appear to sit level with the kit, or did it just raise it equally? I assumed that the size difference in front to rear in the kit would compensate for the stock tilt towards the front.

I have a 2010 sport trac on the way, so I joined here and filling my brain up with good ideas!

nice sport trac

Anyone know the max size tires with this kit??

Im kicking around the idea of moving to a 07+ trac, but it needs some lift for sure. Most around here that have the v8 are LTD,s which I think have the 18" rim as well.

Thanks, Todd

I'm pretty sure people have pulled off using 33"s with a Truxxx lift, but you will need negative offset wheels to stop the rubbing.
Max recommended is 32"

I'm pretty sure people have pulled off using 33"s with a Truxxx lift, but you will need negative offset wheels to stop the rubbing.
Max recommended is 32"

:thumbsup: Thanks man, looks like a 275/65/18 would fit the bill. Went to look at one today, we,ll see what happens.

Hey guys, sorry for not responding back any sooner. I work at a law firm and we just got out of a three and half week trial.

@luv2hike27,
the first photo are factory rims & tires (17.5" rim w/245/65/17) and the third photo, after install of the Truxxx kit, the truck sits w/stock rims but w/265/65/17 Nitto Grappler. And the kit does raise it to a pretty close equal height, if I do recall around 35.25-.50" at the bottom center fender.

I would DEF have to agree w/FLOffroad about the negative offset if you go w/33's. With my 265/65/17.. I put my hand on the inside tire wall to feel on how much clearance I have between the tire and the upper control arm in which I can tell you, it wasn't much (.25-.50") I would love to put 33's on someday, I just wish someone (a company) would offer a body lift kit for our generation SPT.

Nice look with the lift.

I'm thinking of getting the TRUXXX kit for my 07. I don't know if I want to spend the money for new rims, has anyone ever used the wheel spacers with the TRUXXX kit to offset the back spacing issue with bigger tires?

I am planning on getting new tires this spring and the TRUXXX kit seems like a good idea with the back spacers and actually cheaper than a decent set of 17" rims.

Thanks for any info.

Anthony

I just wish someone (a company) would offer a body lift kit for our generation SPT.

There's always that PA ranger kit that the one guy used on his 07 Explorer. Granted, using on an ST would take even more mods (or maybe less - who knows?!). You can always try it if you like, just check ebay to score one for cheap just in case it doesn't work out. I'm not much for bodylifts so I'll probably never try it.

Also, note about wheel spacers - They may give you more clearance from rubbing your A-arms, but using them can cause you to start rubbing your fender. Sometimes tire shops'll let you try'm out with the tires you order (or test, depending on how nice the guys are and what's in stock) and they'll let you know if you get rubbing or not, and then you decide if you buy'm or not.

would the 265 65 17 fit ok without the lift?

Please post better photos of the tire/wheel combo. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just purchased a set of BF GOODRICH RUGGED TERRAIN tires. 265/65/R18's . Basically a 31x10.50 and they are tight but they don't rub. I have about .25" between the upper control arm and the tire. It's dark now, but I'll get a pic on here tomorrow.

Back