JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Well, since I've been a member and moderator of this site for quite a few years, I kind of feel it's my responsibility to ensure that at least one of the moderators has a 2011 Explorer....

This one will be delivered to me in about 10 days :D:D:D

Bordeaux_Red.jpg

Sticker.jpg

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice.. I'll be up in 11 days to test drive it :D

They said "about" 10 days...so don't know exactly when it will arrive. It's replacing the F-150. Drove one like it today and they really drive nicely. Great features and very stable.

So when are we going to see the videos of it offroad? Going to take the focus for backup:D

So when are we going to see the videos of it offroad? Going to take the focus for backup:D

NOT!!! The new Explorer is definitely not a truck anymore. Wouldn't want to take this one far offroad. It will be great for snow, dirt roads, gravel roads, etc, but no serious offroading.

If I wanna get back into offroading, I'm gonna buy another Sammy...:D

Congrats! Think I might be trading in the TDI for one. We still don't have any within 50 miles to test drive though. Is it a lot bigger than a 2nd gen or no?

bring it to afn, and if you need someone to drive the mach there for you, i will volunteer my services for that. it has new tires, yes? :D

Congrats! Think I might be trading in the TDI for one. We still don't have any within 50 miles to test drive though. Is it a lot bigger than a 2nd gen or no?

It's about 6" longer than the last generation. If you fold down both 2nd and 3rd row seats, there's almost 8' of room in the back..

We were debating between the Explorer and the Edge. The Explorer won out because it had more cargo space, has a better ride, has a Class III hitch integrated into it, and has better features for the rear seat passengers.

bring it to afn, and if you need someone to drive the mach there for you, i will volunteer my services for that. it has new tires, yes? :D

You a funny boy eh!!!! :mattmoon:

so at least a foot longer than a 2nd gen, there is only about 7 feet from the back hatch to the back of the front seats.

They said "about" 10 days...so don't know exactly when it will arrive. It's replacing the F-150. Drove one like it today and they really drive nicely. Great features and very stable.

Think it'll tow the trailer & 66?

Think it'll tow the trailer & 66?

Yep. We got it with the towing package which has a Class III hitch and the 7 pin plug to use with a brake controller. It's rated at 5000 lbs. The '66 and trailer are about 4500 lbs.

so at least a foot longer than a 2nd gen, there is only about 7 feet from the back hatch to the back of the front seats.

Here's the specs on it:

Exterior Dimensions Wheelbase [in] 112.6
Length [in] 197.1
Height [in] 70.4
Width - Excluding Mirrors [in] 78.9
Width - Including Mirrors [in] 90.2
Width - Mirrors Folded [in] 82.5
Front Track [in] 67
Rear Track [in] 67
Front Overhang [in] 38
Rear Overhang [in] 46.5
Approach Angle [deg] 21.7
Departure Angle [deg] 21.4
Ramp Breakover Angle [deg] 16.5
Minimum Running Ground Clearance [in] 7.6

Interior Dimensions
Head Room - First Row [in] 41.4
Head Room - Second Row [in] 40.5
Head Room - Third Row [in] 37.8
Leg Room - First Row [in] 40.6
Maximum Leg Room - First Row [in] 43.9
Leg Room - Second Row [in] 39.8
Leg Room - Third Row [in] 33.2
Hip Room - First Row [in] 57.3
Hip Room - Second Row [in] 56.7
Hip Room - Third Row [in] 40.7
Shoulder Room - First Row [in] 61.3
Shoulder Room - Second Row [in] 61
Shoulder Room - Third Row [in] 50.8

Capacities: Passengers, Luggage, Fuel
Passenger Volume [cu. ft.] 151.7
Cargo Volume Behind First Row [cu. ft.] 80.7
Cargo Volume Behind Second Row [cu. ft.] 43.8
Cargo Volume Behind Third Row [cu. ft.] 21
Fuel capacity (gal.) 22.5

Engine Specifications
3.5L V6
Drive type Front-Wheel Drive (std.) / Intelligent 4WD (opt.)
Engine type 3.5L Twin independent Variable Camshaft Timing (TiVCT) V6
Transmission 6-speed automatic (std.) / 6-speed SelectShift Automatic (opt.)
Final drive ratio 3.16 (FWD) / 3.39 (4WD)
Horsepower (net @ rpm) (Ford projected) 290 @ 6500 Torque (lb.-ft @ rpm) (Ford projected) 255 @ 4100 Compression ratio 10.8: 1
Valve lifters Direct acting mechanical bucket
Induction System Naturally aspirated
Fuel delivery Sequential multi-port electronic fuel injection
Exhaust Quasi dual exhaust with chrome tips
Engine block type Cast aluminum
Cylinder head material Cast aluminum
FWD V6 MPG 17 city / 25 hwy / 20 combined
Four Wheel Drive V6 MPG 17 city / 23 hwy / 19 combined

Chassis Specifications
Front suspension
MacPherson strut front suspension with 32mm front stabilizer bar
Front shocks Gas-pressurized twin tube

Rear suspension
Multi-link independent rear suspension with 22mm rear stabilizer bar
Rear shocks Gas-pressurized twin tube

Brakes
Power 4-wheel disc with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)

Steering Electronic Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS)

Towing Specifications
Optional Class III Trailer Tow Package Configuration
..........................Axle Ratio GCWR Max Loaded Trailer Weight
3.5L TiVCT V6 FWD 3.16..........9920........5000
3.5L TiVCT V6 4WD 3.39........10096........5000

Last edited:

Yep. We got it with the towing package which has a Class III hitch and the 7 pin plug to use with a brake controller. It's rated at 5000 lbs. The '66 and trailer are about 4500 lbs.

So how soon before Sue flips it on a snow covered roadway? :p:

Well, since I've been a member and moderator of this site for quite a few years, I kind of feel it's my responsibility to ensure that at least one of the moderators has a 2011 Explorer....

This one will be delivered to me in about 10 days :D:D:D
Congrats on your fine purchase. Just surprised to note that no one has mentioned that it isn't white!! Also, nice to see that they didn't charge for a front license plate bracket.:D

only 17/23 :dunno: That's what my '06 4.0 gets:(

only 17/23 :dunno: That's what my '06 4.0 gets:(

But he is going to get 17/23 with 290hp.. Well, I guess that means he'll actually get less mileage while he enjoys the skinny pedal.

~Mark

That mileage beats the tar out of the 13.8/15.8 I'm getting out of my F-150 right now...

Congrats on your fine purchase. Just surprised to note that no one has mentioned that it isn't white!! Also, nice to see that they didn't charge for a front license plate bracket.:D

I told 'em to make sure they DIDN'T mount the front license plate bracket. I don't need one here in PA.

It was one of those options that came with the package.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think there was a clue in a post a couple up as to WHO is actually getting the new Explorer ! Hint: it rhymes with who..........:D:D

Back