rear tail lights won't turn off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear tail lights won't turn off

When I shut the engine off, the rear tail lights stay on. I'm afraid that I won't have a battery left by tomorrow morning. I need to know which fuse I can remove since the manual makes no mention of rear lights. Help!

I hope this is the proper forum to post this question.

Probably the brake light switch being stuck on. Pull whatevewr fuse shuts off the lights and let us know which one it was.
There isnt a fuse for just the rear lights. The fuse that does the rear lights also does the front parking lights and the dash lights..

My problem is with my brake lights and not my tail lights. I found on another website last night that there is a switch that controls the brake lights that is located under the dash a few inches above the brake pedal. When I disconnected this switch, the brake lights went off. That solved the draining battery problem that I thought I would have this morning.

When I got in the truck this morning, it started fine but I couldn't put it in gear because the steering column was apparently locked. I had to reconnect the switch which put the brake lights back on, but I was then able to drive it to Ford to have them look at it. They have since told me that the switch needed replacement and that there was a short in the wiring that needed to be located and fixed, all to the tune of around $400. Wow, what a shock that was!

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, it was much appreciated.

Probably the brake light switch being stuck on. Pull whatevewr fuse shuts off the lights and let us know which one it was.
There isnt a fuse for just the rear lights. The fuse that does the rear lights also does the front parking lights and the dash lights..

I still don't know what fuse might control the brake lights since I ended up disconnecting the relay switch, but thanks anyway for the help.

Back