Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Duralast Brake Pads

Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
2005_Explorer
Texas
'05 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Duralast Brake Pads

My 2005 Ford Explorer just passed the 50K mileage mark and I'm due for a set of new brake pads. I've called around a couple places and it seems the dealership wants to put on Motorcraft pads while another shop wants to use Duralast semi-metallic pads.

Is there a noticeable difference between these two brake pads or are they about the same quality?

I don't drive off-road, use the tow hitch, etc. - just an average commuter with flat city/highway driving - but I would like a set of pads that last another 40-50K miles, little dust, don't squeek, and don't hurt the rotors.

Will either of these brands work for my purpose or should I buy a higher quality name? Should I have any concerns about going to a third-party shop to get the job done (ie-machining rotors, etc.)?

Thanks for the advice.
2005_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
BrianDye
Michigan
2009 Edge Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
IMO, either will work. I have used Duralast on my last 5 vehicle brake jobs, NEVER once had a problem with squeaking, dust, premature wear, etc.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
2TimingTom
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
^Same. I'm currently running a set of Duralast Gold Cmax pads (the top of the line Duralast ceramic pads) on my '97. They stop well. No noticeable dust. I'm happy.

Colorado 4x4 Adventures
2TimingTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
BrianDye
Michigan
2009 Edge Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am running just the basic 25$ front pads and honestly love em. I have power to stop when I need it, no dust, no squeaking, didnt drain my wallet, and they have a lifetime warranty.

I only bought these because I planned on tuning my whole brake system up; Drilled/Slotted rotors, steel braided lines, top of the line pads, etc.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
2005_Explorer
Texas
'05 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Do you think there is a difference between the Duralast regular pads and Duralast Gold pads (both semi-metallic) or is this just marketing fluff?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
jrford
Birmingham, MI
'10 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

Can't comment on the duralasts, but just some other ideas. . .
i have the cheapo too on my heep, paid $25 for pads and new rotors $20 cheapo Chinese chit, still stopping very well, much to my surprise For the Ex i thought i go top of the line so i went with EBC Green 6000 $80, which i like as well. Also i bought Raybestos Advance Metal rotors for $50 each. They both seem to stop very well, no dust, no sequels but for the extra $$$$ i'm hoping the EBC will last a lot longer. Overall i'm very surprised that the $65 for the heeps front and $180 for the Ex there is very little difference. I've been doing my own brakes for 30 years now.

2004 EB Quad Buckets V8 AWD, 105k
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
pickupman6
jack al
2000 explorer xls 4.0 ohv

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i will never use duralast again. the last 4 sets ive got lasted about 15k tops. between the cracking and and coming apart and slinging the pad out and cuttin a brake hose i havent had any luck with them.
pickupman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
2005_Explorer
Texas
'05 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
pickupman6 - Did you mostly use the duralast's for city driving? Were they on an Explorer?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
pickupman6
jack al
2000 explorer xls 4.0 ohv

Vehicle Specs

i have hem on my ex now and need to replace them with only 13k. ive put 2 sets on my accord and one set on my f150. thats the one that cut the line and totalad my truck. come to think about it i had them on my celebrity too but i didnt turn the rotors on it cause the car wasnt worth the extra 40 bucks and probably wasnt goin to last long enough to wear out a set of pads. i ended up puttin the car in an autocross at the state fair.
pickupman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
gspfunk
Denton, TX

03 Exploder

Vehicle Specs

I went w/ the Wagner thermo-quiets on my 03 Explorer. They work perfectly and weren't too expensive. They've been on it for over 30k so far.

gspfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
2002GreyHD150
DFW, Texas
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD

Vehicle Specs

the duralast's have a great reputation for being a reliable, repeatable, OE replacement.

I personally like the Posi-Quiet Ceramics from Centric(sP) they are all over ebay & other sources.

I love Performance Friction, but for 2-3 times the $$ on the Ex/Monty platform, just not worth it.

Posi-Quiets on the WRX & the Monty right now. Wife actually commented the Monty felt easier to brake with the Posi's.... nuff said... Momma is happy... we's all happy.

Rob
2002GreyHD150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
jasongt06
Virginia
2005 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I have the Centric Posi-Quiet's & Drilled & Slotted rotors on my 05 Explorer for almost 2 years now and they are very quiet, little dust and stops better.
jasongt06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page