• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Rebuild - Cost

skderen

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
So I've been looking into the costs of getting my transmission rebuilt by a shop versus doing it myself (with the help of my brother, I dare not do a tranny by myself).

For those of you that have redone their transmissions before, how much did it cost you to do a rebuild - for the parts itself? At this point, I'm not sure what exactly needs replaced, but I'm guessing everything cause she's got 115,000 on her. Please don't add in the value estimates for your blood, sweat and tears and how many dollars you had to put in the swear jar.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just so you know,a jasper tranny will set you back about $2500 with a 3yr/36,000 warranty.You have to remember there are a lot of hard part problems with these trannies that should be fixed,not just clutches and bands.:D

Thanks safn. That's is why I asked for an estimate. I'm trying NOT to spend $2500. I'm trying not to even spend the $1400 that a local, quite reputable tranny shop quoted me on a rebuild, even though he guarantees it for 1 year/12,000 miles. I'm trying to get an idea of an "everything included" rebuild so that I can weigh my best option.

I would get a list from them on what they replace in a rebuild and go to Jaspers site to see what hard parts and tweaks they do.I'm not a tranny mechanic by any stretch so I'm sure others will weigh in.:D

nah, you hit the nail on the head there SAFN. That is the first thing he should do with any shop he wants to get a rebuild from, get a list of the parts they replace in a rebuild. Just look in the transmission section at the rebuild diaries or frankentranny or any of those kinds of threads. You can almost always count on the same hard parts being worn out or bad, and not replacing them will just spell endless tranny failures until they are replaced.

You can adjust the bands, but they need to be inspected. They're pretty much brake pads for your transmission. Way I'm doing it, is; I'm dropping the transmission, tearing it down, cleaning it out, and I'm going to inspect everything to see if anything needs replacing. I'm on a budget, too, so I feel you in wanting to spend as little money as possible. Get a list of what they use, sure, but make sure you need it before you go and spend the cash on it.

Transmission shops quote a low cost to lure you in, then when they open it up, they say that there is more extensive damage than was originally anticipated. The price suddenly doubles or triples. They inflate the cost of the parts, so you can't calculate how much their actual cost really is. Realistically speaking, if you want to do it yourself, the cost of the parts should be around $400-$800 depending upon the type of rebuild (soft parts vs hard parts). Considering that your transmission is a 1994 version (if it's original), then it's the most updated as far as hard parts. A bullet proof frankentranny should be almost $2,000.

A4ld Reuild...88 to a 93

Hello Folks..This seems like the place i need to be..If not Please HELP me find the right area..I currently have a 93 a4ld..it needs work/rebuild..Cold shift Problem....Ive changed filter and pan fluid..iv'e also changed Vac mod..Ive ordered a Sonnax 35mm weight..waiting on it...What im wondering is , If the Governor weight doesnt work..Should i try a band adjustment..??..Once it warms it shift fine..all gears..May drag a little going into 3rd, but as of now its shifting...My major Question is..i found a 1988 a4ld trans..Can i rebuild it to work in a 93 truck if all else fails,..Or should i look for a 94 with all the updates already installed?..ive been following Broklynn and Glazier and a few others (very informative)..But ive yet to find a thread on a 88 a4ld to a 93 a4ld..both are 4 speeds code T..I just need to be sure it works before jumping in...So to shorten this..A 88 a4ld...or a 94..Any 2 cents is worth alot...Thank You to whom ever Responds in ADVANCE !! Also I hear Glazier has a thread on reversing the linkage on a aerostar transmission..Finding that would be great also..

Welcome to this forum! You might need a new governor if the stalk is worn down. As for the rebuilding question, you could swap the 88 version into it. The 94 is more updated, so if you rebuild an 88, you will end up putting in updated parts anyway.

Thank you SO MUCH !!..now when you say Stalk,,im a little lost ..Also i've emailed and trans Supply co about the availabily on a new govenor..but have not received a reply..Are they still Available? im going to guess stalk is what i would call piston..i just need to find out how many grooves my has..i found a thread that hasnt been updated yet..

Very Very Helpful..:salute:..I will post updates

Does the grooves 1,2 or 3 really make any diffrence..?

Im going to call wittransmission today and order the Gov assem today...also found a 94 Navajo auto for $200...So if all fails, fluid,filter, modulator, band adjument and governor..i may be looking to get the Navajo trans and go thru it.....Thank you for you posts and Stickys..Saved me from pulling out the hair i have left

Brooklynbay, I'm getting ready to install the governor and adjust my bands..1 Question i have, After looking at Glazier and your Sticky..i noticed the Torque at 10ft lbs...120 in lbs..Glazier says NOT to use a ft lbs torque wrench...Is there a reason?..i have a ft lbs with a in lbs setting also...Or should i get a in lbs torque by itself...Just want to be sure that i have not missed anything..I dont want to break a Band..Thanks for any input if you by chance see this.

UPDATE...removed the governor...The shaft/piston is tighter than skin on a Peach...I'm Glad I ordered the new 1 with the updated 35mm weight...Now to band Adjusting.

Thanks Brooklynbay..worked Fantastic..While i was there i noticed my *servo* leaking.."GREAT" lol..Im guessing there are snap rings,,then remove the cover..and pull out and reinstall..?? ...Here is a Exploded view od a a4ld if anyone can use it http://www.amtrans.nl/A4LD.pdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I rebuilt my transmission for the cost of a rebuild kit. and it was down for 2 weeks. I got LUCKY nothing else in my trans was damaged besides the clutches,seals and bands.

i still have not gotten it working 100% because of a vb issue

Back