Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Thermostat Housing Coolant leak (picture)

Old 02-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
King$nake
Oceanside, CA
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Thermostat Housing Coolant leak (picture)

Alright, trying to get all the odds and ends repaired on my 98 5.0 Explorer. The last couple of days I have been smelling coolant after driving it but I could never find anything leaking underneath. I finally popped the hood and noticed this little puddle directly underneath the thermostat housing. Im assuming that the thermostat gasket needs to be replaced, can you guys confirm from this picture?

King$nake is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
jremington59
Elite Explorer
Watertown, NY

1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
It appears that could be the problem. It looks wet on the top also...... Put a new one on and see.
jremington59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
blakshukvw
K.C. mo
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Mine constantly leaves a puddle in the same place. I've replaced the thermostat gasket twice and it still poolsup there. I think the lower manifold is leaking on mine causing it to pool up there. Really pisses me off bt not enough to fix it.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
King$nake
Oceanside, CA
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
blakshukvw, are you constantly smelling antifreeze when you get out of your truck after driving it?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
SmoothJimmy
Novato, CA
1996 XLT 5.0L AWD

Vehicle Specs

Yep, replace the gasket (apply a light coat of permatex blue). Note also that the bolts holding the housing are low torque and can work themselves loose. I had the same problem recently and just that little bit of coolant smelled to high heaven.
SmoothJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
King$nake
Oceanside, CA
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well I just replaced the gasket, but didnt apply the permatex blue. I started up the truck and drove it around and then when I came back, there was a small puddle of coolant in the same exact spot. I rinsed it off and am done messing with it for the day. I did my brakes today to so Im burnt out on that truck lol. Im hoping the new puddle is just residual from before, Ill find out for sure when I drive it again tonight
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
blakshukvw
K.C. mo
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Yeah, I have a very faint coolant smell after driving. Mine has been seeping like this for about 20 months and hasn't gotten any worse.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
jremington59
Elite Explorer
Watertown, NY

1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakshukvw View Post
Yeah, I have a very faint coolant smell after driving. Mine has been seeping like this for about 20 months and hasn't gotten any worse.
Seems this is a problem with a lot of the 5.0,s. Mine does the same thing and has been for a couple years. I have to add about a half quart of coolant a month to the res. It seems a little worse in the winter.

I can't find it and from what I read it could possibly be the heater control valve but it hasn't been bad enough to actually start trying to figure it out.
jremington59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
King$nake
Oceanside, CA
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Hmm, interesting. Ya I just drove my Explorer around the block this morning and it is STILL leaking, after all that. Sucks. I also noticed my rear main was leaking yesterday. Thing has 150,000 miles...I had plans to lift it and 'restore' the explorer and drop like $3g into it, but now Im thinking Id be better off to drive it until it dies and get something else and invest into the next vehicle.

Question - I put new pads on my front brakes yesterday, and my brake pedal is just mushy. I drove it around the block several times and it feels like brake pressure is coming back but it is still a softer feeling pedal than before. Time to bleed the brakes or will it take time to build the pressure back?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
blakshukvw
K.C. mo
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Replacing the pads should have no effect on pedal effort or firmness. You may introduced some air into the system when pushing back the pistons due to some old seals. I would try bleeding the brakes. Also, make sure your caliper bolts are tight. I see on here there are some problems with them coming loose from time to time.

I was wanting to do some suspension upgrades to my X like you but have seen so many problems with these trucks just in stock form on here that it's kinda disheartening. I don't need another big project, I already have one. I think I'll just keep the X together as long as I monetarilly can. I have a Sentra with 167xxx miles on it and it going stron so far so my fingers are crossed.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
King$nake
Oceanside, CA
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it. On one hand, part of me says that Explorers are so cheap to maintain, because they are easy to work on and parts are easy to come by. But on the other hand I dont want to be constantly maintain a vehicle with over 150k on the odo. It seems like there is always something, sucks. Might just buy a newer F150 supercrew 2WD and do a long travel deal out of it.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
blakshukvw
K.C. mo
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Well unfortunately, if you have an AWD model such as I do, there not even that easy to work on. Transmission removal for the rear main is a bitch from what I hear. Everything is heavy. I just take it really easy on mine anymore.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page