Limited and power fold mirrors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited and power fold mirrors

Dawgsfan

Reaction score
We are the proud new owners of a new explorer limited with rapid spec 302A package. All I can say is loving it. The only thing is it looks like Ford forgot to add the power folding mirrors. I thought they were standard on the limited or am I missing something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We are the proud new owners of a new explorer limited with rapid spec 302A package. All I can say is loving it. The only thing is it looks like Ford forgot to add the power folding mirrors. I thought they were standard on the limited or am I missing something.

yea if not std 302 a adds it. its a little button on the one i test drove they fold up and in.

If you have like me have the 302a pkg they do fold it's the little buttun on LEFT that show and a curved arrow and mirror.

They are standard.

Check the button just above the drivers window button on you drivers door.

Or RTFM

The feature that would be nice is to have the powerfold mirrors auto fold after locking the vehicle with the remote as an option for those that want it.

Still waiting for my Limited. Welcome to the 2011 Explorer Forum Dawgsfan. :wavey:

Yes, my Limited has the folding mirrors. Can't imagine when I'll ever need to use it, though.

2 things about the mirrors I wish ford did.
-auto tilt down passenger mirror in reverse.
-Implement the folding mirrors into the remote.

Ditto Bill's comment. I'm not sure when I'll ever use these. Maybe if you go in a car wash? Though with the new laser wash systems, I don't think it would be needed. Maybe a feature better for a true off-road vehicle if you are trying to squeeze between trees or canyon walls? I was thinking if you had a garage with really narrow opening, but then you're probably talking a garage that overall is small and you might never actually get your doors open once in, not to say anything about trying to get out if its really that close.

Truly, I'd love to hear some real-life examples of when you would want this. Just seems like a wasted feature to me at this point.

Ditto Bill's comment. Truly, I'd love to hear some real-life examples of when you would want this. Just seems like a wasted feature to me at this point.

I am going to try 2 things today with the folding mirrors, while sitting in the truck:

1) Combing my hair:p:
2) Brushing my teeth!:D

@sm4astan...don't have my Ex yet, but with the mirrors out, I'll have about 2 inches of clearance on either side of the garage opening (and yes, it will be fine once I get in the garage. I think I'll be using powerfold quite often.

If you have like me have the 302a pkg they do fold it's the little buttun on LEFT that show and a curved arrow and mirror.

It looks like the mirror are the right ones, they forgot to install the button. Instead of the two buttons below the mirror adjust pad it just has the one for locking the windows. I hope this is not a sign of things to come, been a chevy man my whole life and this is my first experience with Ford.

It looks like the mirror are the right ones, they forgot to install the button. Instead of the two buttons below the mirror adjust pad it just has the one for locking the windows. I hope this is not a sign of things to come, been a chevy man my whole life and this is my first experience with Ford.

The idea of this feature is to prevent damage to the mirror in tight spaces, obviously. Like your garage or a tiny mall parking space.

Out here on the West Coast (leftcoast) in the land of tree hugging, dope smoking, protesting environmentalists the City Governments all push for max parking stalls on private commercial property. So the developers build each spot to the smallest allowable size which is designed for a Prius.

So to have folding mirrors is a major plus.

Just wish it was auto fold on remote lock command.

Ditto Bill's comment. I'm not sure when I'll ever use these. Maybe if you go in a car wash? Though with the new laser wash systems, I don't think it would be needed. Maybe a feature better for a true off-road vehicle if you are trying to squeeze between trees or canyon walls? I was thinking if you had a garage with really narrow opening, but then you're probably talking a garage that overall is small and you might never actually get your doors open once in, not to say anything about trying to get out if its really that close.

Truly, I'd love to hear some real-life examples of when you would want this. Just seems like a wasted feature to me at this point.

My garage clearance is small as well so I plan on using the power fold for that. Also, on my Odyssey, they always manually folded in the mirrors whenever I got my car washed, now I can do it myself from the drivers seat :)

Yup, same here, helps the Mrs. park it in the garage and more importantly, back it back out. Also while driving my parent's (still waiting on mine) I got in the habit of folding them in whenever I parked in a mall parking garage etc just so people don't bump into them when walking between cars.

If your looking for a stretch excuse, maybe folding them in before snow so it is easier to clean off the car and they don't get iced up as much?

I have an XLT and folding mirrors is something I wish I had added on. I have a two door garage and its all of 3 inches wider than my EX. I often wish I had power fold to help in getting some more space, esp when backing out.

For now, I've installed those laser pointers which helps me guide mine in better.

I have an XLT and folding mirrors is something I wish I had added on. I have a two door garage and its all of 3 inches wider than my EX. I often wish I had power fold to help in getting some more space, esp when backing out.

For now, I've installed those laser pointers which helps me guide mine in better.
Do the lasers help you in the side to side positioning or just front/back? I have never used them before and was just wondering.

We have always gone with the blocks of wood on the floor of the garage for stop positions, but the kids like to play with them, they get moved etc. We just recently upgraded to this and it works very well...

51IGCQuOnTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Parking-Atten...8F6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298992493&sr=8-1

Still trying to get an answer on the power fold mirrors. Been to several dealers and no one seems to know if power mirrors are standard on the limited with the 302A package. All they can tell me is if it's not on the window sticker then it's not standard. However, of the three dealers I checked out that had a limited on the lot had power fold mirrors and it wasn't on the window sticker. The only thing that i can think of is if you have the BLISS system then you don't get the power fold option. Anyone with a limited have BLISS and power fold?

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/trim/?trim=limited#viewAll

Go about halfway down the page, under the "Exterior Features". Says the following about mirrors for all Limited models being STANDARD:

"Body-color mirrors, heated, memory, power fold with security approach lamps and turn signal incidators"

Hope this helps, can't believe the dealer doesn't know this. There are SO MANY things not on the window sticker that come standard on the Ex's, especially the Limiteds...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still trying to get an answer on the power fold mirrors. Been to several dealers and no one seems to know if power mirrors are standard on the limited with the 302A package. All they can tell me is if it's not on the window sticker then it's not standard. However, of the three dealers I checked out that had a limited on the lot had power fold mirrors and it wasn't on the window sticker. The only thing that i can think of is if you have the BLISS system then you don't get the power fold option. Anyone with a limited have BLISS and power fold?

Yes, BLIS and Powerfold mirrors on my Limited.

Is there not a Powerfold mirror button just above the drivers window button on the drivers door switch pack?

On my Window Sticker third row down far left it reads.........

Mirrors, Fold/PWR/Heat

Back