Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Limited and power fold mirrors

Old 02-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Dawgsfan

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Limited and power fold mirrors

We are the proud new owners of a new explorer limited with rapid spec 302A package. All I can say is loving it. The only thing is it looks like Ford forgot to add the power folding mirrors. I thought they were standard on the limited or am I missing something.
Dawgsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
cg13
2011 ford explorer lim

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgsfan View Post
We are the proud new owners of a new explorer limited with rapid spec 302A package. All I can say is loving it. The only thing is it looks like Ford forgot to add the power folding mirrors. I thought they were standard on the limited or am I missing something.
yea if not std 302 a adds it. its a little button on the one i test drove they fold up and in.
cg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
NEWPORTNJ
Elite Explorer
JERSEY CITY
2014 TUXEDO BLK LTD 302A

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
If you have like me have the 302a pkg they do fold it's the little buttun on LEFT that show and a curved arrow and mirror.
NEWPORTNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Quote:
They are standard.

Check the button just above the drivers window button on you drivers door.

Or RTFM

The feature that would be nice is to have the powerfold mirrors auto fold after locking the vehicle with the remote as an option for those that want it.

2014 Explorer SPORT 401A Rapid Spec, Tuxedo Black, Charcoal Interior, Navigation, Dual Panel Moonroof, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, OEM Invision LT Series DVD Headrests, Tow Package, Inflatable Seatbelts, 28% Tint Fronts, Husky Liners, NuSheild, Blizzak DV-M1 Snows on Interceptor Steel Wheels TMPS,Diode Dynamics 4300K HID Kit, Gorilla Black Lug Nut Kit, SCT X4 94 Octane Tune
Sgt1411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Quote:
Still waiting for my Limited. Welcome to the 2011 Explorer Forum Dawgsfan.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Bill #4 Explorer
Chicago Area
2011 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Yes, my Limited has the folding mirrors. Can't imagine when I'll ever need to use it, though.
Bill #4 Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
backinford
li ny
2011 explorer ltd

Vehicle Specs

2 things about the mirrors I wish ford did.
-auto tilt down passenger mirror in reverse.
-Implement the folding mirrors into the remote.
backinford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
sm4astan
Holland Patent, NY

Vehicle Specs

Ditto Bill's comment. I'm not sure when I'll ever use these. Maybe if you go in a car wash? Though with the new laser wash systems, I don't think it would be needed. Maybe a feature better for a true off-road vehicle if you are trying to squeeze between trees or canyon walls? I was thinking if you had a garage with really narrow opening, but then you're probably talking a garage that overall is small and you might never actually get your doors open once in, not to say anything about trying to get out if its really that close.

Truly, I'd love to hear some real-life examples of when you would want this. Just seems like a wasted feature to me at this point.
sm4astan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Bill #4 Explorer
Chicago Area
2011 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4astan View Post
Ditto Bill's comment. Truly, I'd love to hear some real-life examples of when you would want this. Just seems like a wasted feature to me at this point.
I am going to try 2 things today with the folding mirrors, while sitting in the truck:

1) Combing my hair
2) Brushing my teeth!
Bill #4 Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
ATLcanuck
Atlanta, GA
'11 Limited Red Candy AWD

Vehicle Specs

@sm4astan...don't have my Ex yet, but with the mirrors out, I'll have about 2 inches of clearance on either side of the garage opening (and yes, it will be fine once I get in the garage. I think I'll be using powerfold quite often.
ATLcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Dawgsfan

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWPORTNJ View Post
If you have like me have the 302a pkg they do fold it's the little buttun on LEFT that show and a curved arrow and mirror.
It looks like the mirror are the right ones, they forgot to install the button. Instead of the two buttons below the mirror adjust pad it just has the one for locking the windows. I hope this is not a sign of things to come, been a chevy man my whole life and this is my first experience with Ford.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
It looks like the mirror are the right ones, they forgot to install the button. Instead of the two buttons below the mirror adjust pad it just has the one for locking the windows. I hope this is not a sign of things to come, been a chevy man my whole life and this is my first experience with Ford.
The idea of this feature is to prevent damage to the mirror in tight spaces, obviously. Like your garage or a tiny mall parking space.

Out here on the West Coast (leftcoast) in the land of tree hugging, dope smoking, protesting environmentalists the City Governments all push for max parking stalls on private commercial property. So the developers build each spot to the smallest allowable size which is designed for a Prius.

So to have folding mirrors is a major plus.

Just wish it was auto fold on remote lock command.

2014 Explorer SPORT 401A Rapid Spec, Tuxedo Black, Charcoal Interior, Navigation, Dual Panel Moonroof, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, OEM Invision LT Series DVD Headrests, Tow Package, Inflatable Seatbelts, 28% Tint Fronts, Husky Liners, NuSheild, Blizzak DV-M1 Snows on Interceptor Steel Wheels TMPS,Diode Dynamics 4300K HID Kit, Gorilla Black Lug Nut Kit, SCT X4 94 Octane Tune
Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
rnmomx2
Michigan
2011 EX Limited on order

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4astan View Post
Ditto Bill's comment. I'm not sure when I'll ever use these. Maybe if you go in a car wash? Though with the new laser wash systems, I don't think it would be needed. Maybe a feature better for a true off-road vehicle if you are trying to squeeze between trees or canyon walls? I was thinking if you had a garage with really narrow opening, but then you're probably talking a garage that overall is small and you might never actually get your doors open once in, not to say anything about trying to get out if its really that close.

Truly, I'd love to hear some real-life examples of when you would want this. Just seems like a wasted feature to me at this point.
My garage clearance is small as well so I plan on using the power fold for that. Also, on my Odyssey, they always manually folded in the mirrors whenever I got my car washed, now I can do it myself from the drivers seat
rnmomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
jeeden
2011 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Yup, same here, helps the Mrs. park it in the garage and more importantly, back it back out. Also while driving my parent's (still waiting on mine) I got in the habit of folding them in whenever I parked in a mall parking garage etc just so people don't bump into them when walking between cars.

If your looking for a stretch excuse, maybe folding them in before snow so it is easier to clean off the car and they don't get iced up as much?
jeeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
astrorex
Seattle, WA
'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I have an XLT and folding mirrors is something I wish I had added on. I have a two door garage and its all of 3 inches wider than my EX. I often wish I had power fold to help in getting some more space, esp when backing out.

For now, I've installed those laser pointers which helps me guide mine in better.
astrorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
Gandalf
Southern California
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorex View Post
I have an XLT and folding mirrors is something I wish I had added on. I have a two door garage and its all of 3 inches wider than my EX. I often wish I had power fold to help in getting some more space, esp when backing out.

For now, I've installed those laser pointers which helps me guide mine in better.
Do the lasers help you in the side to side positioning or just front/back? I have never used them before and was just wondering.
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
jeeden
2011 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

We have always gone with the blocks of wood on the floor of the garage for stop positions, but the kids like to play with them, they get moved etc. We just recently upgraded to this and it works very well...

http://www.amazon.com/Parking-Attend...8992493&sr=8-1
jeeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #18
Dawgsfan

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Still trying to get an answer on the power fold mirrors. Been to several dealers and no one seems to know if power mirrors are standard on the limited with the 302A package. All they can tell me is if it's not on the window sticker then it's not standard. However, of the three dealers I checked out that had a limited on the lot had power fold mirrors and it wasn't on the window sticker. The only thing that i can think of is if you have the BLISS system then you don't get the power fold option. Anyone with a limited have BLISS and power fold?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #19
Texas_Ex
Dallas, TX
'00 Mounty, '12 Ex LTD

Vehicle Specs

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/tr...imited#viewAll

Go about halfway down the page, under the "Exterior Features". Says the following about mirrors for all Limited models being STANDARD:

"Body-color mirrors, heated, memory, power fold with security approach lamps and turn signal incidators"

Hope this helps, can't believe the dealer doesn't know this. There are SO MANY things not on the window sticker that come standard on the Ex's, especially the Limiteds...
Texas_Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #20
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Still trying to get an answer on the power fold mirrors. Been to several dealers and no one seems to know if power mirrors are standard on the limited with the 302A package. All they can tell me is if it's not on the window sticker then it's not standard. However, of the three dealers I checked out that had a limited on the lot had power fold mirrors and it wasn't on the window sticker. The only thing that i can think of is if you have the BLISS system then you don't get the power fold option. Anyone with a limited have BLISS and power fold?
Yes, BLIS and Powerfold mirrors on my Limited.

Is there not a Powerfold mirror button just above the drivers window button on the drivers door switch pack?

On my Window Sticker third row down far left it reads.........

Mirrors, Fold/PWR/Heat

Last edited by Sgt1411; 04-06-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page