Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2006 - 2010 Explorer Mountaineer 4th Generation > Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers Stock 2006 -2010 Ford Explorer Forum. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

"Powertrain malfunction indicator" (wrench light)

Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Worktofish
Eastern Washington
2006 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
"Powertrain malfunction indicator" (wrench light)

I have a 2006 4.0L 4x4 Explorer that just lit up the "powertrain malfunction indicator" (wrench light) on the dash.

I bought this vehicle over 4 years ago, and it has always hesitated when cold, (similar to a cold, carbureted engine for those of you who remember those...). It runs fine after.

However, today after starting it cold, it hesitated, then shimmied, and then the powertrain malfunction indicator came on. I drove it 4 miles home, but it had shifting issues.

I was planning on having it towed to the dealer, however, after reading another post, I see that it can be intermittent. Sure enough, I just went back out and started the vehicle - no light!

Any ideas what this means???
Worktofish is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
swetrid
Reading Pa
2001 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You need the trouble codes from pcm to help diagnose.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
PEAR0119
Ottawa, Ontario
2006 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had the same sorta issue with my 06. I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden it hesitated and shimmied then the wrench light came on. I pulled over, turned the car off then back on and everything was OK until the next day. It eventually got so bad that I couldn't even drive the car and it finally threw a MIL light that stayed on.

When I read the codes it threw a "Throttle stuck open" and "Forced idle" codes. I can't remember the exact code number. So, I brought it to Ford and they replaced the TPS sensor on the throttle body as it was throwing "erratic voltage" codes when they read them. Been driving daily for 5 months since and have had no issues.

My issue was intermittent but since the wrench light turned off every time the car was turned off, I would of gotten the runaround from Ford. Once the MIL light stayed on I then brought it to Ford and they replaced the TPS sensor under warranty.

2009 Expedition Limited 5.4L 3V 4x4 --> Dads
PEAR0119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
PEAR0119
Ottawa, Ontario

Vehicle Specs

I found them. I was getting:

P2104 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle
P2111 Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open

My best guess would be the TPS as your symptoms sound very similar to mine.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Worktofish
Eastern Washington
2006 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Yes, that sounds very similar. I'll pull the codes and see what I get.

It ran fine this morning on my short drive to the gym and back. I'll pull the codes tonight.

Thanks for the information, I was having fears that the transmission was toast.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
PEAR0119
Ottawa, Ontario

Vehicle Specs

Mine ran fine somedays and others was a complete nightmare. My first reaction was that the trans was toast too. Once I read the codes I knew it was the TPS and Ford confirmed it for me. I was relieved to say the least.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Worktofish
Eastern Washington
2006 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Any recommendations for a code reader? I was shocked to see the cheapest one for $60, and up to $250. I'm old school. The only way I ever read codes was to count the sweeps on a voltmeter. Can that still be done?

Also, I haven't had any problems since the original, but I'll see if I can get the codes off this weekend.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
BigRondo
USMC 1371
Worcester, MA

2002 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worktofish View Post
Any recommendations for a code reader? I was shocked to see the cheapest one for $60, and up to $250. I'm old school. The only way I ever read codes was to count the sweeps on a voltmeter. Can that still be done?

Also, I haven't had any problems since the original, but I'll see if I can get the codes off this weekend.
You should be able to get the codes read at your local auto parts store for free. Around here AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts do it for free and give you a print out of the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND on 4-22-13
Don't mess with Boston. They will drop everything, hunt you down, and then go on like you never existed once they are done cleaning up the mess.
BigRondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
I have a 2006 4.0L 4x4 Explorer that just lit up the "powertrain malfunction indicator" (wrench light) on the dash.

I bought this vehicle over 4 years ago, and it has always hesitated when cold, (similar to a cold, carbureted engine for those of you who remember those...). It runs fine after.

However, today after starting it cold, it hesitated, then shimmied, and then the powertrain malfunction indicator came on. I drove it 4 miles home, but it had shifting issues.

I was planning on having it towed to the dealer, however, after reading another post, I see that it can be intermittent. Sure enough, I just went back out and started the vehicle - no light!

Any ideas what this means???
Worktofish,

This is Seni with Ford Customer Service. I am sorry your Explorer is not performing to your expectation. We recommend that your vehicle be inspected by a Ford dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. If there is no coverage under applicable warranties, recalls, or ESPs, repairs and services would be your responsibility. As you mentioned, the problem may be intermittent, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a problem. Your next step is to make an appointment with your servicing dealership to have your vehicle diagnosed. Please PM me if further assistance is needed. Thank you.

Seni

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

Last edited by FordService; 04-25-2011 at 01:46 PM.
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
DavidEBSmith
Elite Explorer
Chicago, IL
'07 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Any recommendations for a code reader? I was shocked to see the cheapest one for $60, and up to $250.
Like the next poster said, you can get it done for free at many auto parts stores; I have a basic Actron code reader like this one that's $50 and it works fine.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2018_____
DavidEBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
mcucciare

Vehicle Specs

I had the same problem with my 06 4.0L. It started off very intermittently, but over a year or so it got worse and worse. Pulled codes and there were 3. They were related to the TPS. There is an updated throttle body assembly that comes with the TPS. Replaced that and all has been good for about a year now. Seems to be a pretty common problem on these. I've heard of people going through 2 or 3 before they get a good one. Good Luck!

Mike
mcucciare is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page