How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights

Does anyone know where the stock fog lamp relay is located? I want to put power to it when the parking lamps are on, not just the low beams. I realy don't want to wire up a new one so if anyone knows where this is it would be greatly appriciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 99 XLT will light the fog lamps with only the parking lights on.

It's good that they finally came to there senses on that, but mine is unfortunately only on with the low beams. I would like to find the relay so I can re-wire it to the parking lamps. If I cannot find it I guess I will just wire a new one, but using the existing one would be muuuucccchhh easier. It is hidden somewhere and I need to know if anyone out there has found it?

AHHHH HA! I found it! I am going to go ahead and detail my experience to help anyone in the future! I called a few dealershps and got a few different answers, so I had to look some more for myself. On the 97 (so I assume 95 +) the relay is mounted on the same plate that the air filter box is! You have to remove the air filter box to get to it but that isn't hard. Now to by pass it:

This is on a 1997

1) remove cover and bottom to expose the wires. (it is the small one toward the fenderwall)
2) which wires are what:
BK/Y = Constant 12v
T/O = 12v swithed(by relay) to fog lamps
DB/LG = 12v switch (when this comes on the relay switches on the lights)
LB/BK = Ground - goes to instrument panel switch, then to ground
3) cut the DB/LG wire
4) connect a new wire to it about 12" long
5) cnnect this wire to the brown wire coming off the parking lamp assembly (that's the + for the parking lamps)
6) test it!
7) close it all up and roll!

How this setup works:
the relay is a switch that is "turned on" when power is directed to it. It then takes and directs power to the fog lamps. the way the switch is integrated to this is fairly simple. The ground wire from the relay does not go directly to the ground, it goes to the switch. The switch then controlls whether or not the relay can have a ground. So when the switch is on (allowing ground) and the parking lamps are on (sending the + side) the relay flips the switch and "POOF" you have light!
I hope I explained it well. I used the factory wiring because it is already 18-20 gauge and the lights came with no relay and wiring of similar gauge and the same size fuse, so I figured what the heck... But, please be careful when doing this and use the appropriate relay and wire gauge.

Edit 7/16/02 - Lost photo. however photo was just the location of the relay box. If you stand at the font of the truck and look at the air filter box. Then, move down to the mount for the box and look at the right (toward drivers side) of that mount there is a little box with wires going into it. That is the relay box.

Cool

Good job. Now figure out how to get the 99+ fog lights to stay on with the high beams. . . J/k

Jefe,

Well I don't know the schematics for the 99+ but for mine the reason it went off with the high beams is becuase it was switched to the low beams and when the high beems kick on the low beams cut off hence the fog lights cut off.

Taxxman so are you saying that your fog lights now come on with the High Beams as well? I want that to happen more than I care about the fogs coming on with the parking lights. I didnt understand what you had said and if you meant that you had solved both problems. Thanks...

Yes they come on as long as my parking lamps are on - High beams, low beams, no beams. The reason that they don't originally is because they are wired to switch on with the low beams. They shut off when the high beams are on because the low beams are not on with the high beams. Hope this helps

You are the man...thanks for the help!

?

hey guys this sounds good....... but i was trying to find the relay in my 95 ltd but i couldn't find it. none of the wire colors matched.
any pics ???? maybe i over looked it........ i took out the whole air intake and still nothing ??? what i did notice thou is that all you guys are sports..... could it be different in a 4 door
a lil help pls ?

I assume it could be different. I called many dealers and got many answers. Most had no idea where it was, but the three answers I got were: in the dash by the switch, in the dash behind the radion, and under the air filter box. In mine if I took out the air filter box, there was a small power distribution box just to the side of it towards the center of the truck. The wires "should" match in color, but the other thing you can do if you find the box is with just the lights and fog lights on pull the relay untill you pull the one and the fog lamps go out. I know that isn't the best advice, but you can try calling a service center and ask?

NEW PROBLEM

alright, here goes..... i did over look that small power box by the air filter. opened it up and only one relay. wrong color wires. and when i pulled it. fogs still work.....so that aint it. i then realized that the main power distibution box has a fog relay...... PERFECT !
works with parking lights now...... but my headlights also come on now.......... weird ! whats up with that ??? anyone know ?

You cannot just splice into the wire with the parking lamp wire. You need to disconect that old wire and then connect to the parking lamps. Simply adding a jumper will still leave it connected to your heablights and therefore when your parking lamps are on voltage is sent to your headlamps. Find that wire and remove it.

well that sounds logical to me.
me not knowing anything about electricalfigured a splice was as good as a cut. okay well ill try that out and give ya an update....... thanx for all the help. you have solved one of my most pesky problems !

AMAZING!!!!!

:D alright...i did the work early this morning and everything works perfectly. fogs with the parking lights. taxxman i think you have figured out what so many people on here have been trying to do for a while !!!
congrats great job !

I am glad my work paid off. Thanks.

Anyone know for sure where the fog lamp relay would be for a 2001 4-door XLT?

Hey guys. If anybody is interested I had the fogs on my 98 Explorer wired so they would come on when every the ignition was on and could still control them by the fog light switch. I could have them on with the hi or low beam. If any body wants the info let me know and I will find it a post it.
I can not wait to try this on my 02 when it comes in.

Originally posted by Brian's98XLT
Hey guys. If anybody is interested I had the fogs on my 98 Explorer wired so they would come on when every the ignition was on and could still control them by the fog light switch. I could have them on with the hi or low beam. If any body wants the info let me know and I will find it a post it.
I can not wait to try this on my 02 when it comes in.

I'd like to see that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is definitely on my weekend to-do list. Thanks for the step by step how-to!

Back