Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Performance Lighting

Notices

Performance Lighting Aftermarket lighting. Driving lights, fog lights, rock lights, HID, halogen. Make your Ford Explorer light up the night!!

How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights

Old 07-17-2001, 04:37 PM   #21
Brian's98XLT
Wisconsin
98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok guys here is how to rewire your fog lights so they turn on when you want them to for the 98 Explorer. I do not know if it is the same for others.
Here is how the system works. If you understand relays this should be easy.
The factory relay located on the passenger front side of the engine in the relay box and has 5 pins.
Pin 1 is 12 volts from Dimmer switch when in low beam position. This would be pin 85 on a standard relay
Pin 2 is the wire that goes to the factory fog light switch. The switch controls the ground to the relay coil.
When the switch is on it supplies a ground to the relay coil to turn the fog lights on. When off it remove ground from the coil and the lights turn off. This would be pin 86 on a standard relay
Pin 3 is 12 volt constant and the common contact in the relay. This would be pin 30 on a standard relay
Pin 4 in the normally closed contact. It is not used. This would be pin 87A on a standard relay
Pin 5 is the normally open contact. This would be pin 87 on a standard relay
Pin 1 wire is the one you want to locate. The color on my truck was Dark Blue/Light Green.I located it the harness coming out of the relay box. If you have the factory air cleaner housing it is easier to get at the harness by removing the housing. You can verify this wire by using a volt meter and the wire will read 12 volts when the low beams are on and 0 volts when you turn the lights off or turn on the high beams.
When you find this wire cut it in half. If your fog lights no longer come on you should have the right wire
Now all you have to do in tape off the end going to the car because it is not used.
Now extend the side of the wire coming from the relay box to a source of power. If you want the light to only come on when you have the parking lights run it to a parking light wire. If you want to turn them on when the ignition is on run it to a ignition source.
Make sure that you put a fuse inline with what ever source you choose.

Last edited by Brian's98XLT; 07-17-2001 at 04:46 PM.
Brian's98XLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 08:27 AM   #22
anthony96
Unregistered

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Question

i was wondering if it would be better or worse, or even more difficult to rewire the fogs directly from the headlight switch. when i had a mustang the previous ownerrewired the fogs already. it was done from the switch. what are the pros and cons? i dont like to cut wires under the hood
Old 07-18-2001, 10:52 PM   #23
Brian's98XLT
Wisconsin
98 XLT

Vehicle Specs

The way it is wired in the 98 you can not get at the wire you need at the headlight switch. This wire was located in a splice in the harness when I looked it up at my dealership. It pays to have a good friend who is a Ford mechanic.
Brian's98XLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 01:37 AM   #24
X24
RAMajama
Pleasant Valley, NY

05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL

Vehicle Specs

is there only one dark blue/light green wire in the harness? i dont have a volt meter. what is a good ignition source to connect the fogs to? will there be a ignition source in the power box. i am good with electrical stuff but relays confuse the hell out of me. also, what amp fuse is good to put in the line? thanks
X24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:18 PM   #25
Ex95XLT
Rollin on Dubs
Vineland

98 EB

Vehicle Specs

i got 95 and relay is in same place...just wires are dif. im getting volt meter tom. and will let u know what color wire does what

OLD TRUCK: 3inch PA body lift TT/Shackles 1995 XLT Explorer with 33x12.5 Wrangler MT/R, Superchip, LUND eclipse scoops, Grille inserts, Helix power tower, Tornado, Catback Flowmaster delta force duals, KKM
Pics: http://pub11.bravenet.com/photocenter/album.php?album=2082&usernum=898837667
Ex95XLT is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-31-2002, 10:25 PM   #26
taxx
Make em say Ugh
Indianapolis, IN

73 EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
A good close by power source is the battery. For a fuse I would use whatever comes with the fogs.

Old 09-19-2002, 10:18 PM   #27
Mikes95XLT
Bartlett, IL (currently in Bloomington for school)
'95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by taxxman2k

1) remove cover and bottom to expose the wires. (it is the small one toward the fenderwall)
2) which wires are what:
BK/Y = Constant 12v
T/O = 12v swithed(by relay) to fog lamps
DB/LG = 12v switch (when this comes on the relay switches on the lights)
LB/BK = Ground - goes to instrument panel switch, then to ground
3) cut the DB/LG wire
4) connect a new wire to it about 12" long
5) cnnect this wire to the brown wire coming off the parking lamp assembly (that's the + for the parking lamps)
6) test it!
7) close it all up and roll!
Did you just splice an extra 12" worth of wire on number 4? Also, did you put a fuse in there somewhere? I'm no good with wiring but I want to do this...

"I would hate for my bungholio to get polio!" -Beavis
Mikes95XLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:23 AM   #28
taxx
Make em say Ugh
Indianapolis, IN

73 EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikes95XLT

Did you just splice an extra 12" worth of wire on number 4? Also, did you put a fuse in there somewhere? I'm no good with wiring but I want to do this...
Be careful, your wire colors may be different. I am not sure.

On #4 on end of the 12" wire is connected to the piece coming off the relay and the other is spliced to the parking light wire. The other end of the wire that I cut in half that was originally going to the relay got taped off.

Good luck, any questions feel free to ask.

Old 09-20-2002, 12:13 PM   #29
Mikes95XLT
'95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Wait wait... now I'm lost. Okay, so there is a Light Blue wire going from the relay to the fog lights. Right? So then I cut that wire, and the piece coming FROM the relay (that is still attached to the relay) gets taped off, and the other piece gets spliced to the parking light wire. Right?

Old 09-20-2002, 01:50 PM   #30
taxx
Make em say Ugh
Indianapolis, IN

73 EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
The ONLY wire you cut is the one between the relay and the headlight (brown on mine) and you only hook the end of it that is connected to the relay into the hot wire for the parking lamps.

Old 09-20-2002, 02:17 PM   #31
Mikes95XLT
'95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by taxxman2k
The ONLY wire you cut is the one between the relay and the headlight
Don't you mean between the relay and the fog lights?

taxxman check this out and tell me if this is what you did... go all the way to the bottom and check out the pictures....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...hts+fog+lights

Thanks

Old 09-20-2002, 04:04 PM   #32
taxx
Make em say Ugh
Indianapolis, IN

73 EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
You have to cut both. You cut the one and splice into the fog light power wire. the reason is if you use the one between the relay and fog lights then they will be powered with your parking lights and will come on and off with them, you won't be able to turn them off seperately. The reason you are cutting the other one is because a relay acts as a switch, the headlights turn this switch "on" ans "off" as it stands from the factory. We want to make it so that when the parking lamps are on 12v gets sent to the relay turning it "on" so that you can then use your dash switch when the parking lights are on for the fogs.

Old 09-20-2002, 07:16 PM   #33
Mikes95XLT
'95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I don't want to wire my fogs independant of everything, I just want them to be able to be switched on and off with the parking lights being on. So now would I still cut the relay from the headlights or fogs? Sorry about all the confusion......

Old 09-20-2002, 08:16 PM   #34
Mikes95XLT
'95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

After reading over this a few more times, I think I might be getting it. taxxman I have a question about your truck though. Are your fogs wired to come on whenever you want them to? Independant of all your lights?

Old 09-20-2002, 08:21 PM   #35
taxx
Make em say Ugh
Indianapolis, IN

73 EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
nope. They will only turn on and off when the parking lamps are on

Old 09-20-2002, 08:57 PM   #36
Mikes95XLT
'95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

So the wire I'm cutting is the wire that gives the relay power when the headlights are turned on right? So then after I do this, the relay will get power from the parking lights and not the headlights?

Old 09-20-2002, 10:08 PM   #37
rydinhigh
Boost Junky
East Hartford, CT

1999 EB 5.0L V8

Vehicle Specs

Those of us with the 95's are having problems with this. so from what i have read all the relay does is say when the fogs get a ground or not. why couldn't we just run a wire from the - side of the parking light bulb (the one that doesnt blink when you hit the blinker) to the - side of the fog lights.

Supercharger is for sale check out
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1039257#post1039257
rydinhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 03:10 AM   #38
Mikes95XLT
'95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow during the day and see what I can figure out from the directions here...

Old 09-21-2002, 07:34 AM   #39
taxx
Make em say Ugh
Indianapolis, IN

73 EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally posted by rydinhigh
Those of us with the 95's are having problems with this. so from what i have read all the relay does is say when the fogs get a ground or not. why couldn't we just run a wire from the - side of the parking light bulb (the one that doesnt blink when you hit the blinker) to the - side of the fog lights.
it doesn't controll the ground it controls the hot wire. do a search on the web for relays and see if you can get an understanding of them. THat is all we are doing here is re-wiring the relay. I am not always the best at explaining things and probably have you all confused, but if you can understand a relay you'll be all set here.

Old 09-21-2002, 08:07 PM   #40
Mikes95XLT
'95 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Angry Dammit!

Okay so I got to the relay box today, and pulled it up and out, pulled the plastic cover off the wires going into the relay box, and I don't have a light blue or green wire going to the box. So now I'm lost cause I don't know what wire I'm looking for....

Suggest this thread to friends: