• Register Today It's free!

How do you reset ABS light

adinini

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 2WD 4.0
How do you reset the ABS light? I changed my wheel bearings(hubs) and the light came on steady afterwards.
I connected the old ones to see if one of my bearings were bad but no luck.
I disconnected the battery for thirty minutes, no help.
Don't want to pay ripoff dealers $100+ to just reset the ABS.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you plug the sensors back in. sounds like a sensor problem when the abs comes on after driving.

Didnt you read where I connected the old ones, how else is there to connect them! I need to reset the ABS

Welcome to the forum. Most likely if the light is still on after a clean restart of the computer there is another issue going on.

you shouldnt have to clear codes for and ABS light , when you turn the key on or start your car ABS does a self check (everytime) if there is no problem the light will go off , if there is a problem it will stay on

you need to pull the codes and find out what the issue is , then repair it

Some ABS systems conduct an additional self-test after vehicle is moving, to confirm proper input from wheel/speed sensors; could be that it won't clear until successful movement with good sensors/bearings mounted on vehicle. Did you change bearing because of ABS problem, or were the bearing themselves worn out?

The bearing was worn on the right side, I changed both. I swapped connectors with the old hubs and the light stayed on. Also, disconnected both battery terminals (one at a time), no help.

Ford dealer said I needed to get front end alignment for the light to go out...WHAT! Needless to say I'm not going to pay them to get the ABS code.

This really bothers me because the SAME thing happened when I changed the hubs on my Pontiac Bonneville...now both vehicles have hard ABS lights!

Thanks for any help

You don't have to get an alignment, you didn't pull the tie rods off or the ball joints. I agree with skeeter, just drive it, it should clear itself, especially if you have new sensors installed. I'd re-check the connections as well just to be sure. if none of this works, I would check the codes.

Normally the sensors do not just clear on either own. Check the sensor connections and clean the sensors themselves. Having someone at least hook up the machine to tell what the problem is would be the best idea instead of throwing money at it. I probably wouldn't go back to the ford dealership who said you need a alignment because that is 100% false.

my best answer is the new hub you put in does not have right tone ring in it, if its front wheel bearing, which is causing the light.

in english wrong hub.

also should of used the sensor that came with the hub, and alas i never seen in my life seen that sensor come out damage free from the old hubs, its also why ford sells the front hub with the sensors in them already.

I really hate to drudge up such an old post, but there never seemed to be any resolution to the problem and this is the top hit on Google for 'How to reset ABS light Ford Explorer.'

I also ran into this issue; had a bad front-wheel bearing, changed them both, had the ABS light come on afterwards (likely from me clipping the old ABS sensor wires with power to them... oops.) The light would not reset itself after +30 minutes of driving.

I was able to solve the problem by disconnecting the battery terminals and shorting them (i.e. put the cables in contact with one another) for approximately 10 minutes to perform a PCM reset. While going through the hard reset, I also disconnected each ABS wire in the engine compartment and cleaned the (new) male pins with isopropyl alcohol. I then applied dielectric grease to the pins with a Q-tip, plugged and unplugged the cables a couple of times and finally plugged them back in. Reconnected the battery terminals, went for a drive, and the light turned off in under a minute.

I'm not sure if it was the PCM reset or the extra attention to the ABS plugs, but the problem was resolved. I hope that someone finds this helpful and sorry for lurking here so long without posting.

I too am having ABS issues light stays on is there a how to get codes...I see an old sticky on top of this forum but ALL the photos have been removed makes it very difficult to follow....Thanks
Bruce

Reset ABS light

I have an ABS light that stays on. This is a 1991 Ranger with rear ABS only.
I am reluctant to short the + and - battery cables together for fear of damaging something else.
Am I right or wrong?

I am reluctant to short the + and - battery cables together for fear of damaging something else.
Am I right or wrong?

I can't say for certain that this will work for you. In the '04 Explorers (and likely some years before and after), disconnecting the battery cables and then touching them together clears the PCM, something that your '91 Ranger may not have. Even if it does have one, there may be a different reset process for that generation of vehicles.

Rear axle ABS light on 1991 Ranger

How do you check/reset the ABS light on a 1991 Ranger? It has ABS on the rear axle only.:eek:

Am I right or wrong?
Jackrussell,

Sorry for the late response. I just recently bought a 2003 Ranger with the ABS light on. A search engine brought me here.

I too would be leery about shorting the battery cables together even with the battery disconnected. The Haynes manual suggests disconnecting the battery cable and pressing the brake to bleed the charge from the computer.

I had a 1988 Turbo Coupe Thunderbird and the shop manual I bought had a routine to reset the ABS light on the dash. You had to turn the key to ACC and then press the brake pedal 3 times and (maybe) hold it and it would reset the ABS. I tried to do that for the Ranger but I can't remember the exact sequence.

I also would like to know how to read the fault codes. Would an OBD reader tell me this?

can you list what part you used? Heck, I put in a 50 dollar ebay hub and it had the exact connections and no issues. if the battery disconnect doesn't work, I am betting you still have an issue throwing a code.

Rocket22,

Not sure if you're asking me. I hadn't put any part into it. I actually got Advanced Auto read the codes where my OBDII reader didn't show any. Turns out there were multiple codes with the ABS including the rear sensor. So I crawled underneath to take a look and both wires to the rear sensor were cut. One wire looked like a fusible link and the other looks like someone already tried to splice before. So now I'd like to get a pigtail and replace that rear connector. I figure I have to hook that in before trying to read any other codes. If that is open, it may be showing false codes or no power through the system until all is electrically connected.

The code reader also showed some codes with the throttle position sensor (TPS). I have a sensor tester and it tested bad. Luckily that is easy to get to and hopefully replace. Hope it doesn't cost too much...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not all OBD2 code readers will read the ABS codes. I had this issue with a different vehicle (2002 GMC Sonoma). I had an Innova 3030 + reader and it showed no codes. I called the company to ask them about this and they looked up the car and said I needed the Innova 3030 f model. That worked and I was able to get the code and needed to replace the sensor.

Back