Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extended Service Plan (ESP) prices comparison thread

It is very rare nowadays for a new vehicle to have $1500 in out of pocket repairs done within the first 100K miles. Most get lucky and not have to pay anything, but if you buy a warranty, you are for sure out the $1500+ even if you do not use it. Just something to think about. I've never extended my warranty... Maybe I've gotten lucky.

Maybe you're lucky.. Maybe you're correct? Newer cars are more reliable. But they're certainly not cheaper to repair. In my last exploder, those darned sealed wheel bearings were a outrageous to repair, when you consider what "wheel bearings" are! But in each of my last 3 Explorer's I've just about broken even in terms of covered repairs during the warranty period. But I'm probably in the plus as far as back end is concerned though.. So FWIW. One other thing to consider is that the ESP is transferable for a $75 fee, and I have found that selling the car privately gives me a significant improvement over the trade-in value. By selling when having 6 or more months still on the warranty it gives a new buyer some confidence that they're going to not have any immediate significant repairs when buying from me, and maybe that's why I've always found selling my cars pretty easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's all a matter of how much risk tolerance you have. Whoever backs the extended warranty will look at repair histories and price it more than the average cost of repairs on that brand or model because they have to make money on it, then the retailer will add a bit (sometimes a LOT) for their profit.

MOST people will have lower cost of repairs than the cost of the extended warranty, that's how it works, but if you are tough on your vehicles or you just don't want to have to worry about big repairs (or you've had chronic trouble before the end of the factory warranty) then it may be a good purchase.

That's it. It's risk versus cost and up to the buyer.

Extended Warranty

I have to wonder who the EW is most beneficial to. I am getting multiple ads to buy one from Ford and others. This is a business for them and they make money from these EW's. Makes one think who is really benefiting here!

Just like any 'insurance' type policy, the company issuing it is betting that they won't have to pay out any money or less than they take in. I've had Extended Warranties on 4 of my last 5 leases. The only thing it covered was the replacement of a tire on one of the Highlanders I had. The MKT has a 48 month factory warranty so I didn't take one out on it.

Peter

Well, looks like I'm at the mercy of the dealership, I dont want to slander them but the business office people are giving me the run around on refunding me for the extended warranty I dont want, and what they want to charge for the new Ford ESP.

I want to probably buy a extended plans for my 2013 limited. I'm in Quebec, Canada and the only way I found in with a Ford dealer and they charges me a lots !!!

around 2000$ for an additional 2 years to the Ford factory and up to 100000km with a 50$ deductible...

Anybody know anywhere else to buy a plan. I called others Ford dealer near mine and the price are higher !!

It seems that we cannot buy online if we have an address in Canada

Have you contacted these U.S. sellers directly, they might help you

I believe in order to buy an ESP in the U.S., you must have a U.S. address. Check back through this thread.

Peter

I Finally bought a ESP Premium plan from Troy Dietrich at Ford of Greenfield MA www.fd-warranty.com. He really help me. Cost is really lower. Almost the half of canadian price !!

First you need to have a US address for the USA Ford plan registration. After payment by credit card, he sent me all the original papers by mail directly to my real Canadian address.

He's a good business guy and can done all by email or telephone.

Hope it will help some other people

I don't know if other Canadian members who bought their ESP in the U.S. have actually had to use it here?
Just wondering that since the ESP is registered to the American address if the dealer, or more so, if Ford Canada will create an issue when they are asked to approve a repair under the ESP. :dunno:

Peter

I don't know if other Canadian members who bought their ESP in the U.S. have actually had to use it here?
Just wondering that since the ESP is registered to the American address if the dealer, or more so, if Ford Canada will create an issue when they are asked to approve a repair under the ESP. :dunno:

Peter

Completely agree Peter..

I Finally bought a ESP Premium plan from Troy Dietrich at Ford of Greenfield MA www.fd-warranty.com. He really help me. Cost is really lower. Almost the half of canadian price !!

I hope you do not have issues going forward when using it. Ford has become very strict with this and has notified all dealers not to sell to Canadian customers living in Canada.

Not only that, Crystal is on here and Ford can easily track this transaction. Hopefully it works out.

Ford ESP Plans

I'm wondering if there is a Ford dealer that's generally known for selling the official Ford ESP's at the best price. Thanks for any tips!

I'm wondering if there is a Ford dealer that's generally known for selling the official Ford ESP's at the best price. Thanks for any tips!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
If you are interested in an ESP, I suggest that you send blwnsmoke, who posted above yours, a Private Message (PM) by clicking on his name in the margin.. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I merged your thread with this one.

Peter

Hi guys, I'm interested in doing a 3 year lease on the 2016 Sport with the 401A package and adaptive cruise control. Any idea what the ESP would cost? I'm located on Long Island NY. Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I'm interested in doing a 3 year lease on the 2016 Sport with the 401A package and adaptive cruise control. Any idea what the ESP would cost? I'm located on Long Island NY. Thanks in advance!
Send a PM to blwnsmoke and he'll put you in touch with someone who will likely give you a price that may be hard to beat (see post 137).
Keep in mind that your Explorer comes with a 3 year, 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty so you won't be gaining much buying an ESP except possibly for 1st day rental if you buy that plan. I had a 4 year lease on a 2011 Limited and only got the ESP because of the lease length. Had I leased for only 3 years, I would not have bought an ESP.

Peter

Thanks for the tip on the 3/36 warranty. Unfortunately, I drive about 20K miles a year, so I'll blow through the 3/36 warranty before the lease is up.

Send a PM to blwnsmoke and he'll put you in touch with someone who will likely give you a price that may be hard to beat (see post 137).
Keep in mind that your Explorer comes with a 3 year, 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty so you won't be gaining much buying an ESP except possibly for 1st day rental if you buy that plan. I had a 4 year lease on a 2011 Limited and only got the ESP because of the lease length. Had I leased for only 3 years, I would not have bought an ESP.

Peter

Im out of warranty..with my 2013 ex limited with 37000, just wondrin' if i can still purchase esp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im out of warranty..with my 2013 ex limited with 37000, just wondrin' if i can still purchase esp?
Yes you can but I believe that since the warranty has expired, you will now have to buy a 'Used Car' ESP which is more expensive. That is what my dealer told me. If considering an ESP, it should be done while the factory warranty is still in effect to avoid the extra cost.

Peter

Back