Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

wrench light and check engine soon light

Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
c0rtney
Elite Explorer
northern interior, BC

explorer '04 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question wrench light and check engine soon light

I have a 2004 explorer 4.0L, and I just replaced my fuel filter, turned it on to make sure there were no leaks. Everything seemed fine... Also changed the serpentine belt, held it up to the old one and was a little smaller, but it fit anyway... When I was taking off the connecter to the mass air flow sensor, the inside clip broke off so now it won't clip into the mass air flow sensor anymore... tried to hold it together with electrical tape for now until the local parts store is open on monday, seems to be fine... Went to take it for a drive and now the wrench light and check engine light is on. Could it be one of these things? maybe I put the filter on backwards, if thats possible, or the part dude sold me the wrong one? could the serpentine belt be throwing this code because it is too small? or am I just stupid and need to do a better fix of my mafs... funny thing is my truck is running fine... Any thoughts would be very helpful
c0rtney is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
asurotc206
Columbia, SC
2005 XLT Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I would point my finger at the MAF sensor. Did the clip break off of the plug or the MAF sensor itself? There is no sensor for the serpentine belt. How much smaller was it? In my experience, those belts can stretch a small amount over their lifespan, so I wouldn't worry unless it was significantly smaller. Since you have a 2004, the MAF sensor is built into the top of the airbox, so you are going to have to replace the entire top (if that is what's broken), if it is the plug, you are going to have to replace that harness or solder a new plug onto the harness.

Gladly accepting donations in parts and or ideas...
asurotc206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
c0rtney
Elite Explorer
northern interior, BC

explorer '04 xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
The clip broke off the plug so I think that I will have to solder a new plug because I don't think there is another way to replace it... And my serpentine belt was just a little smaller, maybe 1/2 an inch, it still fit on. Do you think it has something to do with my fuel filter? there was no leaks and I didn't put it in backwards, but maybe they sold me the wrong one? although it looked identical to the one I pulled out... Anyway all the post I've read say it's the throttle body or Throttle Position Sensor. Maybe it just so happened that it wanted to break down when I was doing all this other stuff? It was doing something weird for the last two weeks when I would floor it, it would rev really high and then kinda buck and then go... I though it was just the volant intake it put in causing this but now i'm no so sure...
Old 04-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
EasyRhino
Kailua, Hawai'i
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Read the code(s) that tripped the CEL.

Otherwise, you're guessing.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
c0rtney
Elite Explorer
northern interior, BC

explorer '04 xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
ya fair enough, just wanting to get it good to go before work tomorrow... don't wanna drive it and wreck it anymore...
Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
c0rtney
Elite Explorer
northern interior, BC

explorer '04 xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I brought my truck to the shop today and he found the solution to my wrench light problem... Figure this might help some one else out one day, being something that I wouldn't think of ever. So when I was working on my car I also had the key on listening to music, and when I changed the serpentine belt I had to take my air intake off. Instead of unscrewing the torx bolts to take out my mas, I just unplugged it. He told me to never have the key on and unplug any of the sensors because it messes with the computer and it thinks that they are missing or gives the computer the wrong readings so your truck runs like crap... My truck was running terrible, was really boggy.He told me the only way to get rid of the code is to bring it him so he can delete the code. Disconnecting the battery didn't work, just kept throwing the same code. But after I brought it to him and he deleted it it ran fine, like it did before and no light! Go figure... learn something new every day. Hope this helps someone...
Old 04-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
Popeye1959
Zion, IL
'03 Explorer Sport XLT

Vehicle Specs

I wonder if you had a ScanGauge if would you have been able to do that yourself?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
c0rtney
Elite Explorer
northern interior, BC

explorer '04 xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I don't know I should have asked him... He has the professional scanner and lives down the street and doesn't charge me for stuff like that, so It's easier for me. But, It would be a good thing to look into. Be sweet if it did.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page