Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

TPMS-resetting after tire replacement

Old 04-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
popojoe24
NJ
'05 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
TPMS-resetting after tire replacement

i had all 4 tired replaced at Midas, and they were unable to reset the tire pressure monitoring sensors. now i get an error message "Tire Pressure Default", and there is a constant TPMS warning indicator on my dash. i read that i may have to purchase a special magnet in order to reset them myself. any suggestions? thanks
popojoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Gay-briel
Auburn, Maine
04 Sport Trac XLT Premium

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Sensor Training

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones, and remote transmitters.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than two minutes between each key cycle.
3. Press and release the brake pedal.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than two minutes between each key cycle.
6. The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE". Place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7. Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: If the TPMS module does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE INCOMPLETE". If this occurs, the entire procedure must be repeated from Step 1.

8. Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.

When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".
it uses a magnet like this

should be easy to do, im surprised Midas couldn't do it

2001 Ranger XLT reg cab 2.3L auto 2wd--SOLD
1999 Ranger XLT reg cab 2.5L manual 2wd--SOLD
Gay-briel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Glen4X4
Lewistown, Pa
2000 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Take it to Pepboys if you have one close they have the tool to do it and only takes 5mins

The 96 Replacement!

03 Silverado 1500 LS 4X4
Glen4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
popojoe24
NJ
'05 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks guys.
popojoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
stuartr
Richlands, VA
2002 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where can you get the magnet?

STU

Old 04-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
2002GreyHD150
DFW, Texas
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD

Vehicle Specs

I see posts like this & wonder:

* what in the WORLD the tire tech is doing to the TPMS Sensors while mounting the tire?

* Are they mounting static weights too close to the Sensor?

* What can cause the NEED for this?

I ask these questions, because I had the 4th set of brand new tires installed @ Walmart of all places just a month or so ago. I know for a fact they went through nothing at all to "reset" the TPMS. The 2nd & third set of tires I took the tires & wheels to a tire shop I called on for my business. The Monty was 60 miles away.

I've never had to do this, but I see posts about it every 6-8 months.

Just curious if one of our resident Techs can explain why.

Rob
2002GreyHD150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
jrford
Birmingham, MI
'10 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

not a tech resident, but are the shops putting in new ones? they might make a couple of bucks on the deal.
I know when i mounted 5 new tires, i had the shop mount one of their new ones, couldn't program it for the life of me. Bought a used one of fleabay which worked great.

2004 EB Quad Buckets V8 AWD, 105k
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Ronin8002
Elite Explorer
Virginia
2008 XLT Ironman

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartr View Post
Where can you get the magnet?

STU
Amazon or Ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-OTC38334-P...2963988&sr=8-1

http://cgi.ebay.com/OTC-Magnet-Tpms-...item2310003037

I am told that any big magnet will work though. You could use one from the back of an old blown speaker.

Mods: 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ on 17x8 Black Rock Viper 900B wheels, Bentley style grille, Raptor style LED grille lights, Pacer performance clearance lights, 30" 180W LED light bar behind grille, BTF upper control arms, Fox 2.0 5" travel emulsion coilover shocks in front/rear Truxx spacers, 1" body lift, front skidplate under radiator, recovery shackle mounts
My Rig:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...47#post3004247
Ronin8002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
waskly
Crooklyn NY!

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002GreyHD150 View Post
I see posts like this & wonder:

* what in the WORLD the tire tech is doing to the TPMS Sensors while mounting the tire?

* Are they mounting static weights too close to the Sensor?

* What can cause the NEED for this?

I ask these questions, because I had the 4th set of brand new tires installed @ Walmart of all places just a month or so ago. I know for a fact they went through nothing at all to "reset" the TPMS. The 2nd & third set of tires I took the tires & wheels to a tire shop I called on for my business. The Monty was 60 miles away.

I've never had to do this, but I see posts about it every 6-8 months.

Just curious if one of our resident Techs can explain why.

Rob

if after mounting tires you get a tpms light 99.99% who ever dismounted the old tires, also dismounted the sensor or broke it.

it is correct the tpms sensors are programed to the vehicle. there is no reason to reprogram them less they are replaced.

waskly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
2002GreyHD150
DFW, Texas
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD

Vehicle Specs

^^^ as I said... what in the world is the installer doing to see everyone having to reprogram all the time... LOL

Installer breaking them makes perfect sense. I know on the old Ford Band-style sensors, when we refinished wheels they had to be removed to bake the powdercoating on the refinished wheels. We had to replace sensors all the time cuz the bands would desimate the sensors.

My wife's Monty has the valve stem style sensors. Unless the tech is just careless, they should never hit the sensor with a tire iron/bar.

Rob
2002GreyHD150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
stuartr
Richlands, VA
2002 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

How about if you change tire size. My wifes mounty has TPMS and I am going to a bigger tire when I buy before winter. I have been wondering about the sensors. I would figure 25psi is 25psi no matter what size tire it is. But not sure, I think it is 25 they cut on at. Hers have came on a couple times. One tire has a very slow leak. Oh ya, which kind do the 08 mountys have the bands or valve type? If the valve type I guess you can't change valve stems when you change tires can you? How do these things work anyway the vehicle must pick up a RF sig. from them I guess.

STU

Old 04-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Ronin8002
Elite Explorer
Virginia
2008 XLT Ironman

Vehicle Specs

tire size doesnt matter to the sensors. As far as how they work they send out an rf signal to the vehicle's computer.

Mods: 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ on 17x8 Black Rock Viper 900B wheels, Bentley style grille, Raptor style LED grille lights, Pacer performance clearance lights, 30" 180W LED light bar behind grille, BTF upper control arms, Fox 2.0 5" travel emulsion coilover shocks in front/rear Truxx spacers, 1" body lift, front skidplate under radiator, recovery shackle mounts
Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
stuartr
Richlands, VA
2002 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

That is what I thought, thanks for the answer.

STU

Old 09-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
LIrican
Annapolis, MD
2014 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Hey everyone....

I purchased rims and tires from CarID with new TPMS sensors.

I'm having a hard time getting them paired or programmed to the truck. I've been to 2 Ford dealerships and tried a local tire shop who at least attempted to get them to sync.

They said they could read them on their tool but couldn't get the truck to read them.

has anyone had any success getting aftermarket TPMS sensors paired?

Brand: ORO-TEK
LIrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
Ronin8002
Elite Explorer
Virginia
2008 XLT Ironman

Vehicle Specs

Assuming you are talking about your 2012 Limited in your profile...you might get a more helpful response if you post in the 2011 and newer forums.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page