Airbag sensor location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airbag sensor location

Popeye1959

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Silverado LS
Anyone know where the airbag sensor is located on an '03 Explorer Sport XLT? Idiot light is throwing a 24 code and my neighbor (with a Ranger PU), had a similar issue and said the Ford tech just disassembled the connector, cleaned it and put some dielectric grease on it. Hope that's my problem and not a bad sensor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suppose I could just pull the fuse and start disassembling any and all connectors I find and clean them up and hope I accidentally find it.

I found 1 sensor in front of the radiator just a tad on the diver's side that had one terminal completely corroded off. Of course you can't buy any airbag parts at your local autozone to know if this is the right sensor or if there is something else not working.

Yup, it's an airbag sensor all right. Googled the part number 1X4A-14B006-AD and it comes up as an airbag sensor. Hopefully the Ford Dealer will have one in stock. Guess I'll leave the fuse out until I replace the sensor for now.

Sensor is cracked near the bolt hole:

Sensor.jpg

Looking into the plug opening. One prong here and one on the plug. I guess that means it's half right:

plug.jpg

Doesn't look like it was very water-tight. It will be when I get done with it.

Well, I got the air bag sensor, $63.00 for that and $32 for the pigtail wiring harness. Installed them tonite and thankfully the light stayed off. Looks like things are working the way they are supposed to.

Great post! Probably would've saved me some time had I seen it sooner. I found the same exact thing after troubleshooting FLC 42=LH Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open. I suspect this is my problem since the sensor pretty much came off in two pieces.

Where'd you get yours, a dealer? Mine wants $92.21 for the part.

CIMG3834.jpg

I got both parts from my local Ford dealer for the prices I listed. Of course that was April prices, but can't see them going up that much. Sure that isn't priced with the pigtail? Your's is a different part number too so who knows. All the local parts houses said it is a dealer only item unless you want to take your chances with a salvage yard part.

Thanks for the quick reply. That might include the pigtail too, I'm not sure. I'm gonna try picking it up tomorrow (if they're open). I figure anything at the salvage yard probably looks similar, given the poor design placement of the sensor.

Back