Another Projector HID Retrofit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Projector HID Retrofit

Almost done with this project, so I figured I'd post a few pics... I'm using a Morimoto Mini D2S, Gatling Gun shrouds and a couple of LED halo rings. The next part is to replace the side markers with LED arrays and add another LED array for to the side marker for turn signal.

Everything off:

Reflector-Assembled-2.jpg

Reflector-Assembled-1.jpg

White LED ring as parking lights. The ring is mounted facing backwards, to refelect into the reflector bowl:

Reflector-Assembled-WhiteLEDFront.jpg

Reflector-Assembled-WhiteLED-Side.jpg

Orange LED as additional turn signal:

Reflector-Assembled-OrangeLED-Side.jpg

Both sets of LEDs on:

Reflector-Assembled-WhiteandOrangeLEDFront.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great, are you going to paint the cutoff shield or just put it together as is?

Looks great, are you going to paint the cutoff shield or just put it together as is?

I'm thinking "as is". I'm not particularly fond of painted shields and I am going more for functionality than look. This setup replaces a previous FX-R built which served me well until one headlight got smashed (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274302), and I can't drive without HID, I'm spoiled!

Looks great so far! IF your coming from FX-R's I don't think you'll be as happy with the D2S's, but it sure beats a PnP

Looks great so far! IF your coming from FX-R's I don't think you'll be as happy with the D2S's, but it sure beats a PnP

I'm sure you're right, I loved the FX-R. But after loosing an argument with a suicidal deer :mad:, I don't have the patience to go through what I did on the original setup.

Subbed. Interested to see finished project. Love HID retros :)

so with the morimoto mini's, you are able to use the stock headlight housing adjustment for the HID pattern adjustment? do you have to cut the 9007 bulb mounting point out?

I just ordered the FX-r kit, but after seeing this thread, and your old thread as well.. I think im going to try and change to the mini kit... nice fabrication on your old setup by the way!

so with the morimoto mini's, you are able to use the stock headlight housing adjustment for the HID pattern adjustment? do you have to cut the 9007 bulb mounting point out?

I'll know this weekend whether the stock adjuster is enough, but I don't anticipate any issue there. My plan is to mount the entire assembly on the X, without completely sealing it, so that I can do the rough adjustments. Then remove everything, clean everything, seal it up, and hopefully I'll be set. I'm still a couple of weeks from finalizing everything: I'm waiting for some PWM modules for the parking/turn sidemarkers upgrade.

I had to trim the opening quite a bit to get the projector to fit. You have to trim both the opening and the back of the projector.

Before:
Reflector-Before-Rear2.jpg

After:
Reflector-After-Rear1.jpg

Basically, I trimmed the hole all the way to the outer edge of the inner "ring". Keep cutting a little bit at a time and test-fit the projector: the smaller and the more centered you trim the hole, the better your default alignment will be.

I also cut the outer ring to where it is about flush with the edge of whatever you call that shield that was in front of the original bulb. That ring sticks out way too far to be able to screw the 2nd nut (the one that holds the HID bulb in place).

Projector Test-fit:
Reflector-ProjectorFit.jpg

I just ordered the FX-r kit, but after seeing this thread, and your old thread as well.. I think im going to try and change to the mini kit... nice fabrication on your old setup by the way!

Thanks. The work leading up to the final bracket was a nightmare, almost as bad as the custom shroud. That was my 1st retro... That's kind of why I took the easy way out this time.

Thanks for the nice pictures! yep definitely going to change to the minis...

You're welcome, someone's got to learn from my mistake(s)!. One thing I should mention: if you plan on using the Apollo shroud, you may have to trim it a bit. That darn turn signal gets in the way, unless you jam the shroud in there and it may affect the left/right alignment of the projector. That's why I went with the Gatling Gun. It is is little deeper, but the circunference of the base clears the turn signal hoursing.

actually I have a 2005 sport trac, so this will be going in a little different housing. I ordered the apollo so hopefully it will fit ok with my headlights. I'll update or start another thread when I finish mine.

They told me it would fit right through the 9004-9007 hole.im about to do this exact setup but in a first gen with clear housing.

Last edited:

I believe the H1 version will fit better on the 9007, but the OP used the D2S kit. I ordered the H1 version so we'll see.

yea im going with the D2S also.what size white halo did you use for that shield?and what bulb temp did you go with?

The H1 will fit right into a 9004/7 hole with the H7, or soon to be released 9004/07 ring. The D2S you have to hollow it out like the OP as the base is bigger...

yea im going with the D2S also.what size white halo did you use for that shield?and what bulb temp did you go with?

The outer halo ring is 80mm with an optional difuser, the inner ring is 100mm without difuser: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=ACCENTS&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FAE.htm. I'm about to fire the whole setup in daylight to see how they look. I'll post more pics.

I went with 4300K on HID, to match the PNP kit I have in the driving lights.

I believe the H1 version will fit better on the 9007, but the OP used the D2S kit. I ordered the H1 version so we'll see.

Yep, I went with the D2S, but only because I want to eventually get the new Osram D2S CBI bulbs :thumbsup: (I don't think they're available as an H1). But those things are pricey :thumbdwn: !!!

Some daylight pics...

Everything off:
Test-Daylight-Everythingoff.jpg

Parking lights, with and without the HID on:
Test-Daylight-HIDandParkingLights.jpg

Test-Daylight-ParkingLightsnoHID.jpg

Parking lights and turn signals, with and without the HID on:
Test-Daylight-HIDParkingLightsandTurnSignal.jpg

Test-Daylight-ParkingLightsandTurnSignalnoHID.jpg

Side view, parking and turn signal, with the sidemarkers fired up. The sidemarkers are 2 pieces, one will be parking light, the other will be turn signal, but they are way too bright for my taste:
est-Daylight-ParkingLightsTurnSignalandSidemarkers.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

man that looks great! cant wait to get my parts now! only thing im worried about is my housing is starting to get a little bit cloudy, im going to have to wet sand and buff it out, hope it doesn't make the cutoff line fuzzy or something..

Back