Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Fuel door release??

Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
HiImBrian
Elite Explorer
St. Petersburg, Florida

2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Angry Fuel door release??

Ok so last night, for the second time, I had almost 10 gallons of gas siphoned from my tank right in front of my house. It has been a problem on my street for the past few weeks... My grand Marquis has a locking fuel door with a button on my drivers side door to pop it open and they don't bother with trying to get gas from that car... Did the explorers come with that as an option? If so where can I get it and is there a thread on it? I'm on my iPhone right now so I haven't searched yet... Help me out guys, 50$ worth of gas is something I really can't afford to just give away; and my Winchester protection plan isn't working... Thanks!

MMR Stage 2 Heads - Ported Bullitt Intake - BanksPower TransCommand - CodeAlarm Remote Start - Hunter Brushguard - Custom Roof Basket - 3rd Cat Cutout - Straightpiped/Magnaflow Catback - 3" Body Lift - 2.25/1.75 BTF Spacers - F-150 Towhooks - 2" Wheel Spacers - HID's - 35/70/17's - EGR & PCV System Delete - AND MORE!
My Registry: HiImBrian's Beachcomber
HiImBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
waskly
Crooklyn NY!

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
wont matter, the car is high enough, that even if you lock everything you can get to the tank rather easy.

waskly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
swetrid
Reading Pa
1999 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Put a $20 dollar locking gas cap on it to help.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
HiImBrian
Elite Explorer
St. Petersburg, Florida

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Yeah, unlocking my gascap every time is a bit of a pain in the ass. And I highly doubt that they will go to the trouble of crawling under my car to get to my tank... If it comes down to it I'll just park it in the garage instead of my sandrail... But, I would still like it as a feature anyways.

MMR Stage 2 Heads - Ported Bullitt Intake - BanksPower TransCommand - CodeAlarm Remote Start - Hunter Brushguard - Custom Roof Basket - 3rd Cat Cutout - Straightpiped/Magnaflow Catback - 3" Body Lift - 2.25/1.75 BTF Spacers - F-150 Towhooks - 2" Wheel Spacers - HID's - 35/70/17's - EGR & PCV System Delete - AND MORE!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
waskly
Crooklyn NY!

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiImBrian View Post
Yeah, unlocking my gascap every time is a bit of a pain in the ass. And I highly doubt that they will go to the trouble of crawling under my car to get to my tank... If it comes down to it I'll just park it in the garage instead of my sandrail... But, I would still like it as a feature anyways.
lets see snake a hose, hopefully get the plunger to open and then taste gas.

or crawl under pull a 8 mm bolt and stick a screwdriver in and get all the gas in the tank..... really....

they used to seal cats from suv's.... why not gas when its easier, cleaner and you dont taste like gas.

waskly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
HiImBrian
Elite Explorer
St. Petersburg, Florida

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Still just looking for an answer to my question.......

Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
JDT
Williamstown, Ky
2002 EB

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as far as i know no 3rd gens came with a latching fuel door, so the locking gas cap looks like the only way to go

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
04 EDGE
Westland Michigan

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a locking gas cap. Get one!
04 EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
Limited02
Elite Explorer
Gardner, KS

'02 Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Get a locking gas cap

First, I would setup a webcam and make sure the Explorer is well lit and record whoever is doing it. It could be a neighbor walking across the street and helping themselves.

OR, you could get the locking cap, setup the cam and put a little sign inside the fuel door that says, "smile, you're on camera."

Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
stuartr
Richlands, VA
2002 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dang thiefs! I was just thinking about this my 02 has a cap. So I could get a locker. How about her 08 no cap on it at all. I don't think you could get a hose down in there with that set up but I may be wrong.

STU

Old 04-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
BigRondo
USMC 1371
Worcester, MA

2002 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiImBrian View Post
I say go with the locking gas cap. I guess you have to decide what is more of a pain in the ass: Scumbags stealing your gas or unlocking the gas cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
I have a locking gas cap. Get one!
This locking gas cap intrigues me. Where did you get yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND on 4-22-13
Don't mess with Boston. They will drop everything, hunt you down, and then go on like you never existed once they are done cleaning up the mess.
BigRondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page