P0171 & P0174 4.0L SOHC's Sport/Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0171 & P0174 4.0L SOHC's Sport/Sport Trac

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
There are regular posts looking for answers to the P0171/P0174 DTC's. The 2001-2003 Sports and 2001-2005 Sport Tracs are legendary for throwing the codes together. Although there ARE instances where intake gaskets, among other issues, are the cause the overwhelming majority of these codes are caused by the PCV elbow cracking on the bottom and causing a substantial vacuum leak. Over & over owners replace gaskets/solenoids/etc only to have this code remain and finally finding the elbow cracked. It's a cheap part, easy to examine/replace so I'm simply posting this to advise those suffering with this code combo to check the elbow thoroughly before looking further. It's so simple that it's ridiculous NOT to check it first.

To be clear, this arrangement is NOT on Job 1 builds of the 2001 year models.

PCVelbow.jpg

KCV190PCVElbowHose.jpg
PCVElbowcrack.jpg

As a reference, this is the 2001 Job 1 arrangement.
job1sporttracpcvvalve.jpg

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

+1 ncranchero. Great post Steve! Log in to see pics.

The key word here is "bottom". Sprays will not always detect the leak, Elbow must be carefully removed.

On rare occasions, aftermarket ignition coils have also been known to throw the PO171/174 codes.

Job 1 engine (No PCV elbow) Leaking intake gaskets common.
Oil fill on driver side.
d12f6d5c-3390-45b9-8052-c72219f3f1ea.jpg

Job 2 engine with PCV elbow. Inspect the UNDERSIDE of the PCV elbow.
Oil fill on the passenger side.
5b85d025-d417-4ec7-ae11-e8084ff9e260.jpg

Aftermarket rubber elbows only. (Dorman 48011)
Dorman Products - 48011

Aftermarket complete assembly (Gates EMH 153)
More Information for GATES EMH153

Last edited:

Yep, I couldn't see it on mine until I took off the elbow and squeezed tube to see the split. The whole assembly in the second picture was $28 from the Ford dealer.

I had the exact same codes thrown on my truck and i replaced that elbow because it was gone on the bottom and after i replaced it i still had the code and when i started delving into it more i found out that the pcv valve was stuck and it needed to be replaced. but the biggest thing i found was the dress up breather tubes that you get to replace the hose on the bank one valve cover was throwing the code. once i got rid of it and replaced the pcv valve the code went away. after that i went and talked to my buddy who is a ford technician and he said that those breather tubes are a bad idea unless, you dont have a inlet on your intake for it.

Right you are/he is. Any/all of the above cause the closed crankcase ventilation system to draw outside air, thus the vacuum leak.

This thread saved me such aggravation! My truck threw the codes and after reading this, I immediately went to check that elbow. Sure enough it was cracked on the top in the corner. Now my question... What is the part number I need to order to replace the elbow?

PCVelbow.jpg

Motorcraft part number is KCV-190 for the complete line.
Some say 9807 NAPA (cut to fit) will work for just the elbow. Haven't tried it myself.

information correct

thanks for this solution. i repeatedly received 171 and 174 codes and wd clear them only for them to return after a few days. first saw the intake manifold gasket repair advice and knew this wd be a long saturday afternoon at best to resolve. fortunately saw this post re: the pvc elbow and dead on balls correct. it was almost disintegrated at the top and bottom. suffice to say money is tight and likely saving hundreds of $s and/or many hours of self help is very much appreciated. note also kragen did not carry the motocraft part so i went with the napa cut to fit hose. worked perfectly. you Sir are a mensch. peace.

I just replaced the PVC hose on my ST. It's an easy fix, but man Ford is crazy with the prices of their parts. Local dealer charged me $38 for that hose. Ridiculous!

Amazon comes up with some awesome deals on auto parts occasionally. I bought my Monroe air shocks off of Amazon.

Hey guys. I have the same codes. I have removed and checked the elbow on either end but found no cracks. There is a lot of sludge all around the PCV valve. Does that throw a red flag up for anyone? Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

make sure you check the underside of the hose good too. the crack can be really hard to spot.

You say "hose." Are you referring to the elbows or to the plastic hose between the elbows? I removed and checked both elbows good (top, bottom, side) and found no cracks. :usa:

If the rubber elbows are good and seal tightly, the PCV is clean and fits tightly then you may actually have leaking intake gaskets. Check all of the vacuum lines, hose to the booster, etc.

Motorcraft part number is KCV-190 for the complete line.
Some say 9807 NAPA (cut to fit) will work for just the elbow. Haven't tried it myself.

I just found the same crack in my hose and ordered the cut-to-fit from NAPA. I'll let you know how it works out.

I just found the same crack in my hose and ordered the cut-to-fit from NAPA. I'll let you know how it works out.

were you able to fix it? i am curious b/c i am doing to same swap and i have having a pita removing the elbow from the connection into the manifold. can't get it to budge

Does your hose feel soft or spongy? If so you will need to replace it eventually anyway.
Buy the NAPA 9807 or Motorcraft KCV-190 first. Slice the stuck elbow lengthwise with a sharp blade.
Make sure you go all the way through the hose without damaging the nipple. Twist it off, not difficult.

Last edited:

Does your hose feel soft or spongy? If so you will need to replace it eventually anyway.
Buy the NAPA 9807 or Motorcraft KCV-190 first. Slice the stuck elbow lengthwise with a sharp blade.
Make sure you go all the way through the hose without damaging the nipple. Twist it off, not difficult.

the hose was for sure soft and spongy around the crack in the bend. i finally was able to get the hose off with a pair of channel locks and a thick cotton rag. took me a while. but went up to oreilly's and got a length of pre bent PCV hose there. Cut it to size and it works like a champ now.

My elbow was horribly cracked and way too brittle for its own good. Problem: Online hose costs $29. Actual price at the dealer? $45. WTH Ford?

Edit: Forgot to say how easy of a fix it was. Less than 10 minutes later I had the new hose in and the truck was running. At first it was a real rough idle and would die but after revving it up a bit she smoothed right out and runs better now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the code pop up last week on my '02, sure enought the elbow was cracked in two spots and spongey feeling! While I had it down I did the IAC and throttle body clean, purring great again :D Thanks for all the great info!!

Back