IAC Valve location and cleaning

Exproblems

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orchard Park, N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
Can anyone tell me where the Idle Air Control Valve is located on a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT with the 4.0l SOHC engine? I'm assuming some where on a valve cover. Also, how to properly clean one and what kind of cleaner to use? I couldn't find any pics or topics in here on this exact part and model of vehicle. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesnt exist, it is part of the throttlebody due to the drive by wire design.

>>>>>>>>Doesnt exist, it is part of the throttlebody due to the drive by wire design.
>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the info "Swetrid"! Approx 2 weeks ago, a parts store guy told me there was a IAC valve for my truck, but maybe he was looking at the wrong year or engine size at the time.

Codes P0401 and P0506

I'm confused on this whole IAC topic. My truck is throwing the code, the autoparts store show there isnt one, but when I'm on RockAuto.com there shows there is an IAC for my truck. Below is what I found on the site.

MOTORCRAFT Part # CX1771 {#1L2E9F715AD, 1L2Z9F715AA}
1L2E-9F715-AD

So if there isn't one, what else could be throwing this code? What are some things I can try to get rid of it. My idle is very rough, and on cold starts it sometimes doesnt want to stay cranked, have to try it a couple times.

05' Mountaineer v6 flex fuel , 212k miles

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I'm confused on this whole IAC topic. My truck is throwing the code, the autoparts store show there isnt one, but when I'm on RockAuto.com there shows there is an IAC for my truck. Below is what I found on the site.

1L2E-9F715-AD

So if there isn't one, what else could be throwing this code? What are some things I can try to get rid of it. My idle is very rough, and on cold starts it sometimes doesnt want to stay cranked, have to try it a couple times.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On the 2005 V-6's, there is no IAC valve even though parts stores say there is one. The 2002 and 2003 years have them, and from 2004 thru forward they don't because "they incorporate an electronically controlled throttle, the PCM adjusts idle air by varying the position of the throttle plate". That quote is straight from the Haynes manual. If you can get me the error code letters and numbers, I will try and look up the "probable cause" for you in my Haynes Manual and get back to you. You can also buy a Haynes Manual for your vehicle at any parts store, they cost around $20-$25. There is a section (Section 6)in them with several pages of error code probable causes. Your rough idle problem could be caused by several different things. Also, you can take the truck to a parts store and have them connect their diagnostic scanner up to your PCM and they can tell you what the code problems are. Advance Auto Parts does this. Ask them for the code number and description of problem. They do this at no charge.

IAC Valve

I have a Mercury MOuntainer V6, AWD, 4.0 L., SOHC, Transmission 5-Automatic(5R55S) .... I have checked in www.fordparts.com and appears one IAC valve for my VIN car, but and I can't find the IAC valve phisically in the motor... I think "Exproblems" is right, the idle air is regulated by throtle valve.... Somebody knows if there is a way to test the Throtle valve?...thankyou....:salute:

Codes P0401 and P0506

1L2E-9F715-AD

Did you ever get it fixed? What was the end result?

Back