Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Overdrive Dash Light

Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Redfish
Hampton, VA
2002 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Overdrive Dash Light

The O/D dash light on my 2002 Explorer XLT decided to have a live of its own today. It's blinking a mile a minute. I was wondering if perhaps a fuse is on the fritz or if the light was perparing to burn out?
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
swetrid
Reading Pa
2001 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have seen this semi-often and usually is the solenoid pack going bad. Ck for codes and see if there any to help further diagnose.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Redfish
Hampton, VA
2002 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Where is the solenoid pack and how do you check for codes?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
sohcneondriver
IL
2004 Limited 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Solenoid pack is in the transmission and you can take it to most any of the auto parts stores and they will check the codes for free. They might not want to do it if you don't have a check engine or service engine soon light on but tell them to do it anyway, haha.
sohcneondriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Redfish
Hampton, VA
2002 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I stopped by Auto Zone to have them run a code check based upon the blinking O/D light this afternoon. They wouldn't check it because the engine warning light was not on. Do you have to drop the transmission or is it mounted on the side where you can just remove it with a wrench? Is it located on the driver or passenger side?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I stopped by Auto Zone to have them run a code check based upon the blinking O/D light this afternoon. They wouldn't check it because the engine warning light was not on. Do you have to drop the transmission or is it mounted on the side where you can just remove it with a wrench? Is it located on the driver or passenger side?
"It" being what, the solenoid module? A whole slew of parts failed internally will cause the flashing lite.....you really need the codes if you want to avoid "spearing fish in the dark".

Easiest start, without codes, is analyze what is the transmission doing, exactly? Anything seem fishy? Shifts all normal? Any slippage (engine speed-up upon shift occurring)? The more things not normal which are detectable by "feel", the less likely a solenoid is at fault.

If the 5-speed automatic, a 5r55w or 5r55s, there are 8 solenoids. If you are hell-bent to get at them, they are fastened to the control valve body, accessible by dropping the oil pan. imp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Redfish
Hampton, VA
2002 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I'm heading by AZ on the ay home and will just tell them my check engine light came on so I can get them to pull the codes. I don't have any rough shifting yet and am not interested in waiting for that to happen.
I'm not hell bent on buying anything until I know I need too.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
Redfish
Hampton, VA
2002 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Got a friend of mine who is a Ford Mechanic to get the proper code. PO796 was what showed up with is the solenoid pack 1L2Z 7G391 AG. Now I need to find the part. His cost is 250.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Got a friend of mine who is a Ford Mechanic to get the proper code. PO796 was what showed up with is the solenoid pack 1L2Z 7G391 AG. Now I need to find the part. His cost is 250.
P0796 reads "Pressure Control "C" Solenoid, open circuit". So, good chance replacing the solenoid pack will take care of it.

I bought mine on E-bay, brand-new part, made by Bosch, for around $185, last year. $250 sounds good "ball-park", from Ford Parts. Good luck! imp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Redfish
Hampton, VA
2002 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I hope it does. The next project will be tackling the rear diff and all the associated issues that has come with it.
I found re-manufactured on EBAY for 199. I'm going to get a huge break on labor so I will probably buy the part at his cost. I will also get the tranny fluid at cost so it will be almost a wash.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page