Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Proper way to jack up an explorer

Old 05-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
watt9386
Croydon, Pennsylvania
94 xlt & 97 sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Proper way to jack up an explorer

I have a 94 explorer that needs brakes. I need to know the proper way to jack it up and not break anything. I have it sitting on jack stands on the radius arms. Help?

watt9386 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Baddecision93
Orrville, OH
92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jack stands on the radius arms are fine...How did you get it jacked up to get the jack stands under there?

Just reverse that.

Or are you asking about how to do the rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRocha View Post
I can tell you Jesus is very popular when working on 10+yrd vehicles in the rust belt.
Baddecision93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Reejerey
SLC UT
92 XL 2 dr 4x4 manual

Vehicle Specs

in the rear just put your jack under the pig if its a floor jack, if scissor jack that came with truck, on the tube near the shock mount is fine
Reejerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
watt9386
Croydon, Pennsylvania
94 xlt & 97 sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddecision93
Jack stands on the radius arms are fine...How did you get it jacked up to get the jack stands under there?

Just reverse that.

Or are you asking about how to do the rear?
I used floor jacks underneath the I beams. Its sitting awkard on the RA though. I'm going to take a couple pics for you guys.

watt9386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Currency
Bedford Indiana
94 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reejerey View Post
in the rear just put your jack under the pig if its a floor jack, if scissor jack that came with truck, on the tube near the shock mount is fine
Mine came with a bottle jack. It hides where the rear window washer tank is located at.

As for jacking them up. I have always generally jacked the front up near the front tires, not sure exactly what you would call it. But it's the steel under the area where the front axles are at.

For the rear, I have always jacked mine up with one floor jack under the rear end. Trust me, I have jacked the rear up many a times, more so than the front because if I hit a hard enough bump my rear brake adjusters simply fall out

I have always placed jack stands under the frame. It is second nature to me but either way I have access to a lift which eliminates the need for jacks and jack stands.

I may be interested in one or more first gen parts explorers. PM me if your not to far with pics and price.
Currency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Roadrunner777
Bemidji, MN

94 4x4 Sport 88k

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The factory service book shows the jack points for the 1994 Explorer using the bottle jack as:

Front: Underneath the shock absorber

Rear: On axle tube, 1/2 between pumpkin and springs

You can also use what I guess I would call frame outriggers just in back of the front wheel and just in front of the back wheel, and any of the structure between the two front spring towers.
Roadrunner777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
huntman58
Fremont calif.
2013 Dodge Advenger

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner777 View Post
The factory service book shows the jack points for the 1994 Explorer using the bottle jack as:

Front: Underneath the shock absorber

Rear: On axle tube, 1/2 between pumpkin and springs

That’s the points I always use did not know they were what the book said to. I also always place the stands under the frame and the tire when off under the frame lying down also that way if the jack and the stand fail the tire is still there to keep it off the ground or my legs if ever needed. Can we say safety first.

Learned that when a high lift jack kicked out and a jack stand went with it both tires off the rear end of a full size truck and the rear end pumpkin landed on my long hair back then (I was young then and had hair unlike now old fart and almost no hair LOL) pinning me under the truck talk about needing to change shorts after wards. I was doing a add a leaf lift at the time. Now I make it a habit to add the wheels as an extra safety and it keeps them out of my way most of the time to boot.
huntman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
alakers
casper, wyo
'94 4WD

Vehicle Specs

my recommendation is most definetely to buy a floor jack. the stock ones, work ... but they're such a pain !!!! If you get a floor jack, put it under the axle. front or rear. Use the differential ... that steel is meant to be abused and you really can't hurt it just jacking it up. Make sure to set your brake, block your tires. have a pepsi nearby, put it on a level surface. Don't fry bacon with your shirt off. Goodluck.
alakers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page