• Register Today It's free!

Compatible 3G/4G Modems

GregV8

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Let's keep this thread a live knowledge base of all the USB mobile internet cards that are confirmed to work when plugged into the vehicle's USB port. (MyFord Touch Hotspot feature.)

Confirmed successes:
Model ; Network ; MFT version:

:thumbsup: Sierra Wireless Compass 885 ; AT&T ; MFT 2.?

Tested and did not work:

:thumbdwn: LG VL600 ; Verizon 4G ; MFT 2.8
:thumbdwn: T-Mobile Rocket 2.0 ; T-Mobile ; MFT 2.8
:thumbdwn: T-Mobile Jet 2.0 ; T-Mobile ; MFT 2.8
:thumbdwn: Pantech UML290 ; Verizon 4G ; MFT 2.8

That's all I know for now.
Was in a Verizon store last night and asked if I could try their other 4G units in my car but they refused.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know how we can make this a Sticky thread?

soo has anyone tested the sierra 250u on clear? Rebecca thinks that more modems may work with the update

Will a phone work

Hello Everyone,

I am new...1st post after having lurked for awhile. I have a question as to whether an iphone can act as a router if you will for a laptop to acccess the internet while travelling in a 2013 Explorer? I have ordered one in a limited by the way...

Thanks!
Rodney

Hello Everyone,

I am new...1st post after having lurked for awhile. I have a question as to whether an iphone can act as a router if you will for a laptop to acccess the internet while travelling in a 2013 Explorer? I have ordered one in a limited by the way...

Thanks!
Rodney

It is possible, but you must pay for a tethering service through your provider. I have AT&T service, and off the top of my head I can’t remember the monthly cost. I want to say it was something around $20/month (plus or minus $5). But then remember, your data usage while using the laptop tethered to the iPhone will be charged to your data package.

The only way to get around for paying for the tethering service is if you have a license from Apple to be an App Developer, which costs about $99 a year. But then there are other modifications you must do to your iPhone to get that to work.

This subject is important

I've contacted Ford support on Explorer facebook page and they provided me with a list of only two modems
1. Sierra Wireless 598 CDMA Ev-DO
2. Sierra Wireless Mercury GSM 3G

So I have only one option for GSM/3G network and it's an old model!
We need more devices.. any update from Ford especially after updating MFT to 3.0.2

Confirmed successes:

:thumbsup: Sierra Wireless Compass 885 ; AT&T ; MFT 2.?

Can I count on that and buy a modem?

Haha I contacted ford ivt on here and Rebecca got back to me saying they were working on testing more modems... She said that more may** work with the updated mft... I'm really hoping when my ex arrives that I will be able to use my Clear Wireless (Sierra 250u 3G/WiMAX modem) with it.....

Hint hint Cough cough... Ford IVT

i tried connecting my Unlocked Sierra WIreless Mercury 885 GSM 3G to my explorer and the lights go on but the screen says no device detected!!!

My MFT Version is 3 (the latest)

I see the purpose of this functionality in the event that you have a USB cell modem, like from Sierra, et.al., and don't want to have to connect it to a laptop and then share internet service through same. If, however, you have tethering for your cell phone enabled, then there is no need to connect it to the car since any wifi-enabled devices in the vicinity can simply connect to your phone directly.

It's so much more convenient i think to just have a USB modem stuck in MFT all the time and when you start the car up have it automatically connect and begin broadcasting my usb 4g modem as wifi vs plugging your phone in, setting up your hotspot, and for me it would mean a bit slower connection with my iphone 4s vs my clear sierra 250 u modem

When I picked up my ex, the guy at the dealer said he knows someone at Microsoft (live up in Washington where Microsoft is massed) that works on the sync system. He had me shoot over my modem info to him and he said he would pass it on.

I also told him that he could tell his Microsoft contact that I would love to do beta testing to help out... I'll keep you guys posted!

When I picked up my ex, the guy at the dealer said he knows someone at Microsoft (live up in Washington where Microsoft is massed) that works on the sync system. He had me shoot over my modem info to him and he said he would pass it on.

I also told him that he could tell his Microsoft contact that I would love to do beta testing to help out... I'll keep you guys posted!

I'm sorry but working in the software business myself I can tell you that this will result in Nothing.

GregV8 said:
I'm sorry but working in the software business myself I can tell you that this will result in Nothing.

Well he forwarded me the email chain. Supposedly it's not advertised yet but does. I'll try it when I get home.
I totally get you pov Greg but I'm hoping you're wrong! Lol

so i think we can blame MS just as much as ford for this MFT fiasco. the ms guy tad me that it was supported with the latest clear driver for the modem... you would think he would know that mft cannot install .exe drivers...

grrrr

so i think we can blame MS just as much as ford for this MFT fiasco. the ms guy tad me that it was supported with the latest clear driver for the modem... you would think he would know that mft cannot install .exe drivers...

grrrr

He said it was supported, but never said you could install it! ;)

VinceL said:
He said it was supported, but never said you could install it! ;)

Valid statement Vince!

Any update on this?
Any new modems?

Not that I am aware of. Perhaps calling ford and requesting additional modems may help expedite this?

Am I missing something? Why would you need to plug in a mobile hotspot device ( not phone tethering) if its already working?

I mean, just pair it with the devices in the car, plug it into the usb if you need power for it.
Plugging it into the Car for connectivity is silly, itys just a dumb, non intelligent hub

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so what we are talking about is not a hotspot, but a USB modem... like the ones that you plug into your computer for wireless internet.

The idea behind this is that someone like me (who has a 3g/4g clear modem) can just leave it plugged into one of the usb plug in my explorer and each time i start the car, the explorer will use that as a data connection and automatically broadcast wifi...

This would make the wifi in the explorer similar to wifi at your house (always on, when the car is on) which eliminates the need to bring your personal hotspot into the car each time or initiate tethering from your phone each time. its a convenience factor really.

I just wish MFT would support more modems... or at least my modem! lol my model is supported for Sprint but not Clear, which is frustrating because it is the same modem, just different carrier settings!

Am I missing something? Why would you need to plug in a mobile hotspot device ( not phone tethering) if its already working?

I mean, just pair it with the devices in the car, plug it into the usb if you need power for it.
Plugging it into the Car for connectivity is silly, itys just a dumb, non intelligent hub

Back