Removing Warning Stickers From Visors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Warning Stickers From Visors

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Our Ugly Airbag Warning Stickers

Has anyone found an easy solution to cover (or remove) our 3 ugly warning stickers on our visors?

On other cars I own, with vinyl visors, it's an easy project with a little elbow grease, denatured alcohol, rubber gloves, and 303 Aero. Proct. to do a final spruce up. Can't do this with our cloth visors.

Anything??

Thanks.

Please, no "hand slapping" from the Lawyers out there!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The SGP Store (http://www.sgpstore.com/) sells a really cool leather-look laptop skin that I'd bet could be cut and fit to cover those. Just an idea...

Hair dryer to heat the adhesive?

That is how we removed them on our '06 mustang. We then put up different stickers. They were the "If you can't handle this american sports car, then go drive a honda" type stickers..

~Mark

I took them off my 2010 Mustang with a hair dryer, a gum cutter called Goop and a nylon tooth brush. It was very time consuming. You would have to look very close to see a slight shadow that remained. It wasn't perfect. I would have the visors reupholstered if I had to do it again.

Does anyone know a good way to remove the ugly warning stickers from the visors without messing up the visor cloth? On another car I have I was able to remove the warning stickers using acetone but thoes visors were vinyl and not cloth material like in the X. Those stickers are really horrible looking. I know it’s a legal thing but I wish Ford would not put them there in the first place.

blame the nhtsa for the labels.

Stickers

Will be interested to hear what works. Have used a hair dryer on a GM vehicle. That worked great, but it was the vinyl kind. These seem to be more like cloth.

There have been a few threads on it, I think usually linked to this one:

CLICK

I'd rather have the sticker than the sticker ghost. :)

That was also for an actual sticker, not sure if the '11 is a sticker or print-to-fabric kind.

Yea that’s the problem with cloth material versus vinyl where you really may not be able to get all of the sticker off or because of the way it reacts with cloth when it's attached. I’ll leave them on rather than have a ghost image. Still hoping for a solution to this, if I find anything I’ll post it. The '11 X looks like it is a sticker and not printed on the cloth itself.

they are all sticker, hot glue pressed to the visor.

I masked off the visor with tape.
Put up a thin disposable plastic painters tarp.
Hit the stickers with a thin coat of flat black paint.
Let dry a few minutes.
Pull off tape and tarp.
Switch sides.
Less than 30 minutes work.
Looks great.

Pics Please

I masked off the visor with tape.
Put up a thin disposable plastic painters tarp.
Hit the stickers with a thin coat of flat black paint.
Let dry a few minutes.
Pull off tape and tarp.
Switch sides.
Less than 30 minutes work.
Looks great.

Post up some pics please and thankyou.:salute:

Warning labels on visors

OK...I've read the warning labels on both visors, but they're distracting to both me and my wife. No where do I see "do not remove" so does anyone know how to safely remove them? Thanks.

I sprayed mine with flat black paint. They look great! Took about an hour. I don't know how to post pictures, so you'll have to take my word for it. They can not be removed, like I've been able to in other vehicles.

You'll need:

1) Flat black spray paint- Home Depot
2) Cheap plastic painter's tarps
3) Duct tape
4) Painters tape
5) Razor blade

Do one side at a time. This coats are the key, so it goes not drop & run.

I wanted to remove the visors, and spray flat, but I could not figure out how to remove the arms from the holes.

I sprayed mine with flat black paint. They look great! Took about an hour. I don't know how to post pictures, so you'll have to take my word for it. They can not be removed, like I've been able to in other vehicles.

You'll need:

1) Flat black spray paint- Home Depot
2) Cheap plastic painter's tarps
3) Duct tape
4) Painters tape
5) Razor blade

Do one side at a time. This coats are the key, so it goes not drop & run.

I wanted to remove the visors, and spray flat, but I could not figure out how to remove the arms from the holes.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not spraying paint inside a new $44k vehicle...I'll just live with the stickers I guess.

Mine feel like they can be pulled off, but I'm afraid to try in case a corner get mangled and then I'd be even madder than I am about them not letting it be "my" decision to have them or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not spraying paint inside a new $44k vehicle...I'll just live with the stickers I guess.QUOTE]

Mine was $48K:). That's what the plastic tarps are for. Easy peasy.

Back