Garage door opener | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Garage door opener

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
Hi, i am picking up new explorer today, i have the remote garage door opener with me, how do I program it into my new vehicle?

Will new vehicle door key pad have a preset code that i need to learn, can i change it easily?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, i am picking up new explorer today, i have the remote garage door opener with me, how do I program it into my new vehicle?

Will new vehicle door key pad have a preset code that i need to learn, can i change it easily?
To program the garage door opener you have to hold down the outer two button of the three button system for 5 seconds and release. Then hold down the button that you want to program for 5 seconds. Then go to your garage door unit(actual motor in the garage) and press the learn button. The system should now be ready to go. I don't think you can program it directly from the remote to the system. As far as the door code it is given to you but you can cnage it at anytime. refer to the manual for further instruction.

As far as the door code it is given to you but you can cnage it at anytime.
You probably know this but I thought I would clarify: the original code can't be changed but you can add additional codes.

This process for programming the garage door opener did not work and neither did the process in the manual. Can you clarify the process?

It took me a 2nd try to get mine programmed , but it works fine. You only have a short time after pushing the "learn" button on the opener to get back to your car.

You may want to have someone help you so you're not running up and down a ladder trying to beat the time limit :)

This process for programming the garage door opener did not work and neither did the process in the manual. Can you clarify the process?
Just make sure that you use the procedure to erase any codes before you try again. I got it on the second try due to operator error. I didn't release the selected visor button as soon as the door began to move the first time. You must hit the garage unit's LEARN button before you press the desired button on the visor. The manual says you have 10-30 seconds to press your selected button after hitting the LEARN button.

Sometimes you gotta hit the button several times after the initial press of the button you are assigning. Once you see the light blink on the motor and the door closes its done. When I did it the first time I held the button for like 5 seconds nothing then I started to repeatedly hit and bam it worked.

Garage Door

Be careful, I just got a new explorer and learned that my particular garage door opener need a convertor that costs an additional $25 + tax and shipping to work. The opener is from 2002 and has worked for a Saturn, a VW, a Mitsubishi and a Chrysler. It the company used by Ford. It is not HomeLink like all other vehicles I have previously owned. You can check the compatibility of your remote online at the company's website; Lear Car2U is the company.

This has also been a frustration to me, I have Homelink in my Audi and it couldn't be any easier to program. This Car2U however has been a PITA, I called the number they give in the manual and they told me to call my garage door opener manufacturer, which I did, and they tell me my model can't be programmed. I find it hard to believe because I programed it with Homelink, it's just a much much simpler pairing progress.

If anybody with a Garaga CarGo700 (most likely only applicable to Canadians as it appears to be a French Canadian company) ever finds out how to work it, please share.

Thanks

I am having hard time to get my Homelink to work with the Hormann Garage Door. Have tried the manual instructions, tried all other tips in the forum and tried C2U instructions without succesful.

Does somebody had this same experience and how did you solve it????

Thanks in advance for your help..

I am having hard time to get my Homelink to work with the Hormann Garage Door. Have tried the manual instructions, tried all other tips in the forum and tried C2U instructions without succesful.

Does somebody had this same experience and how did you solve it????

Thanks in advance for your help..
Welcome to the Forum wcharon.:wavey:
Unfortunately I don't have any extra tips other than those already posted. Just make sure that if you have an unsuccessful attempt, use the erase procedure before trying again. Good luck.

As i recall on mine i have to hit the button on the garage door opener mechanism, the learning remote, after i hit a button inside the car...

but the exact process i dont remember, so am no help i presume

my sync isnt working at the moment, can anyone remember what the email said from ford about when we are getting new sync systems, they are sending us usb devices? flash drives?

As i recall on mine i have to hit the button on the garage door opener mechanism, the learning remote, after i hit a button inside the car...

my sync isnt working at the moment, can anyone remember what the email said from ford about when we are getting new sync systems, they are sending us usb devices? flash drives?
You must press the Learn button on the garage unit BEFORE pressing the button of your choice on the visor. That way you transmit a signal to the garage opener while it is in the Learn mode. I believe that you have no more than 30 seconds after pressing the LEARN button to press your selected visor button.

Update to MFT will be released in Q1, likely Feb/Mar. Update will be mailed out on USB stick for you (owner) to upgrade or you may take it to the dealer. Your choice.

Peter

Hey, Randys1!

I responded to your other post about your SYNC not working and the Performance Upgrade. Please check it out when you get a chance!

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2863984&postcount=4

Rebecca

Thanks for the welcome and for the suggestions....

Just to update in case somebody else has the same issue. I talked to the Gate Opener Company (Hormann) and the Universal Transmitter ompany (C2U) and both agreed that the transmitter is not compatible with the Garage Opener but C2U suprisely called back within 5 minute and will send me a converter to install in the opener free of charge....They claim that will not interfere with the existing system at all.

I will keep updated once i recieve it to see how it works...

This has also been a frustration to me, I have Homelink in my Audi and it couldn't be any easier to program. This Car2U however has been a PITA, I called the number they give in the manual and they told me to call my garage door opener manufacturer, which I did, and they tell me my model can't be programmed. I find it hard to believe because I programed it with Homelink, it's just a much much simpler pairing progress.

If anybody with a Garaga CarGo700 (most likely only applicable to Canadians as it appears to be a French Canadian company) ever finds out how to work it, please share.

Thanks
Did you ever get this issue resolved? If not, see the above post by wcharon on 12-14-2011. This is not the first time I've read that Car2U has sent out a convertor to allow the system to work.

Peter

I had the same issue with mine. Once I purchased and installed the Car2U adapter/converter for my opener (Wayne Dalton) it has worked perfectly.

I got my garage door to work but can't get the subdivision gate & our own gate to work. All 3 work on one remote control now so they all use the same kind of code (rolling code).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my garage door to work but can't get the subdivision gate & our own gate to work. All 3 work on one remote control now so they all use the same kind of code (rolling code).

I have read on other forums that getting gates to work can be a bit more involved with the C2U devices. You can give them a call and they might be able to get things worked out.

I only wish Ford had gone with Homelink for the EX. It is good enough for the Edge, why not the EX.

When we get our Ex, I am trying to figure a way to hook up the Homelink mirror I bough for my Wife's car to the Ex. The connector is different coming out of the headliner of the EX, but I should be able to figure out the wiring.

Back