Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Turn Signal Lights Stop Flashing

Old 05-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Exproblems
Elite Explorer
Orchard Park, N.Y.

'05 Explorer XLT 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Turn Signal Lights Stop Flashing

Yesterday while driving, I noticed my turn signal lights stopped flashing, blinking on and off. The lights lit up, but didn't blink and froze like that on the dash and on the outside turn signal lights. This happened once before but they started working again after I jiggled the turn signal handle around. Today they worked okay. I've done some research in here on this problem and read where some people had issues with a "multifunction switch" inside the steering column. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this since the turn signal lights do work and have power going to them, so it's not a bulb or turn signal flasher problem as far as I know. Could this just be a loose wire problem in the steering column and what could cause them to stop blinking yet they light up and have power going to them? Also, if anyone knows how to remove the steering column cover to get at the turn signal handle guts, please let me know. Thanks for any advice.
Exproblems is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
xlt03
Bay Point, CA
2003 XLT 4.6 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A BIG Thank You to BigRondo, he's got a Sticky on this http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=279556
Yes it could be the pins inside the connector for the multifunction switch.
xlt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Exproblems
Elite Explorer
Orchard Park, N.Y.

'05 Explorer XLT 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
>>>>>>>>>>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlt03 View Post
A BIG Thank You to BigRondo, he's got a Sticky on this http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=279556
Yes it could be the pins inside the connector for the multifunction switch.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks XLT03 for the reply and info and to Big Rondo for another great post and pics of the repair. When I searched for this type of article, Big R's post didn't come up. I saw some other posts from other people on this topic. Do you happen to know the cost of a Multifunction Switch? From the pics I have seen of it, it appears fairly large and since it is a Ford product, expensive? Also, could the fact that I keep the tilt steering column in the highest or upper most position when I drive, cause any problems with the function of this Multifunction Switch? All the other functions (wipers and washer fluid) appear to work okay, just the turn signal lights quit blinking every now and then. Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
swetrid
Reading Pa
2001 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It is the turn signal flasher in the central junction box.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Exproblems
Elite Explorer
Orchard Park, N.Y.

'05 Explorer XLT 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
>>>>>>>>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by swetrid View Post
It is the turn signal flasher in the central junction box.
>>>>>>>>>>

Is the turn signal flasher unit and round like, plug in device that is plugged into the fuse box located under the driver side foot well area? I've never changed one or ever had problems with any turn signal Multifunction switches etc, other than have a few turn signal bulbs burn out over time in 34 years of driving. Thanks for the suggestion Swetrid!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Mindy
Montreal
2000 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, did you ever figure out the problem?? I am having the same problem with my Explorer right now.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
leov5
So. Cal.
2002 Mtnr V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

There is a flasher relay on the back side of the main fuse panel under the drivers side dash. If you look in the owners manual it will show were to look. It states that you have to remove the fuse panel to change it, not so. If you feel above the fuse panel you will feel the relay, I used a very small flat screwdriver to lift up the relay. Note make a mark on the relay before you remove it, with a pen, marker, etc... This will show how to put back the new one. I went to Pep Boys and got the relay, sorry forgot the part number. Cost was $12.99+tax. Reinstalling the relay, just line the pins before you install with the old one with marks will show which direction to to place it back in. Worth a try before you go installing a new multi function switch.
leov5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
bakerm5
Apex, NC
2003 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Thanks for the suggestion to try this out. My scenario was the turn signal would activate, then anywhere from 5 seconds to 45 seconds it would just stop blinking (with the light off). This would happen turning both left and right.

I decided rather than taking apart the steering wheel to try the flasher, and viola: 10 minutes later it was working.
bakerm5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page