Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Tow Rig Forum

Notices

Tow Rig Forum Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!

Can I pull travel trailer?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
steffel
Arnold,MO
2005 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Can I pull travel trailer?

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer with the 4.0L V6.

I would like to know if I would be able to pull this trailer a couple hours away from my home.

MANUFACTURER Autumn Ridge
MODEL YEAR 2009
MODEL 181CK

WEIGHTS
GROSS VEHICLE WT RATING (GVWR) 5,800 lbs.
UNLOADED VEHICLE WT (UVW) TBD
CARGO CARRYING CAPACITY (CCC) TBD
HITCH WEIGHT TBD

MEASUREMENTS
LENGTH FEET 23
OVERALL LENGTH 23 ft. 1 in.
EXTERIOR HEIGHT 9 ft. 8 in.
EXTERIOR WIDTH 8 ft.
INTERIOR HEIGHT 6 ft. 8 in.
WHEELS/TIRES ST205/75R 14C
BODY
SLEEPING CAPACITY 7

OPERATIONAL
FRESH WATER CAPACITY 50 gal. including water heater
GRAY WATER CAPACITY 26 gal.
BLACK WATER CAPACITY 26 gal.
AIR CONDITIONER BTU RATING 13,500
FURNACE BTU RATING 19,000
WATER HEATER CAPACITY 6 gal.
PROPANE TANK CAPACITY (2) 20 lb. tanks

AXLE QUANTITY 2
EXTERIOR STORAGE Yes

Please let me know what you think I should do. Do you think that I would be able to handle this trailer?
steffel is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
MountaineerGreen
Towing Moderator
North East Arkansas

2012 F150 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My first thought is no, with the independent rear suspension, class II hitch and v6, its stacked against you.
MountaineerGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
steffel
Arnold,MO
2005 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I forgot to put his in the first post but I have the class III/IV tow package on my truck. Looking in the manual it says that the 4.0L SOHC with a Class III/IV hitch Max trailer weight is 5380lbs and Max GCWR is 10000lb. With some mods do you think that I could make the ride a little easier.
steffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
MountaineerGreen
Towing Moderator
North East Arkansas

2012 F150 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffel View Post
I forgot to put his in the first post but I have the class III/IV tow package on my truck. Looking in the manual it says that the 4.0L SOHC with a Class III/IV hitch Max trailer weight is 5380lbs and Max GCWR is 10000lb. With some mods do you think that I could make the ride a little easier.

Changing the hitch does not constitute a "tow package". A tow package vehicle has lower axle gearing, an additional transmission cooler.

If you added a trans cooler and brake controller and keep it out of OD, you can probably do it, but you are on the edge of what you need to be towing.
MountaineerGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
jrford
Birmingham, MI
'10 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

imo its looking a little weak, even with the stock Tow package, the 3.73 gears will help. But that V6 would be a little thin looking at the numbers. Your right on the tow limit, but thats a big camper, don't forget to add frontal area to the calc - that would put you over the limit. If you just wanted to pull it once or twice a year maybe. . .weekly no way.

something like AR-ONE 16BH would be fine. . .only 2,500lbs, little smaller though.

2004 EB Quad Buckets V8 AWD, 105k
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
skeeter123
2002 XLT 4.6L

Vehicle Specs

Just to be sure I'd check the weight #'s as posted on the sticker on the driver's side door. Sometimes people install aftermarket Class III/IV tow-hitches onto vehicles not built with all the tow-package options.
And remember that water is 8lbs/gallon; i wouldn't be filling that reservoir up before the trip....
skeeter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
thebrakeman
Canton, Michigan
2006 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Assuming you actually have the Class III/IV tow package, then you have 10,000 lbs GCVWR (combined weight rating). Most travel trailers have a lot more cargo capacity than you will every really use. So you need to find out what the trailer weighs when loaded (if you already have the trailer), or add 800 lbs to the published dry/empty weight as a good typical estimate.

Subtract the estimated trailer weight from 10,000 lbs, and that is what your loaded Explorer can't exceed. Subtract the empty weight of the Explorer, leaving you with your passenger an truck-cargo capacity.

You'll probably need to keep the trailer to no more than aroud 4500 lbs to have any hope. But do the math.

Cashmere/Camel Interior, navigation, power 3rd row
2004 Surveyor 261T Hybrid Travel Trailer (27 ft)
Equal-i-zer 10,000 lb 4-pt Sway Control WDH
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page