Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Adding Navigation if not factory equipped?

Old 06-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
TxRanger351w
Beaumont, Tx
95 Ranger S/C

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Adding Navigation if not factory equipped?

I purchased a 2011 XLT with MFT for my wife back in April. The vehicle didn't have navigation enabled from the factory, but the salesman said it could be added just by purchasing the card. The parts counter said that someone had attempted this, but it ended up not working. Now, we see that while it is possible to purchase the card, the system must be enabled from the factory to allow navigation to work. I've seen a couple posts where people had their system flashed (I guess a complete reinstall?) Is it possible during this flash to enable the navigation component of MFT?
TxRanger351w is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
gman123
Austin
2011 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is a great question.
I would like to do the same.
They sell the ford SD Cards on Ebay.

Either missing the GPS hardware, or disabled in the OS.
gman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
1995E
Maryland
95 + 11 Ex both XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The hardware is exactly the same. The problem is: Ford wants to prevent you from getting the Nav software aftermarket. Every SD card has a vin verification thingie. The only way to do it is to hack it. I do remember seeing somewhere online that someone's trying to get into it though and add Nav.

Explorer 2011 3.5L V6 XLT 202A with trailer tow, Ingot Silver 15k miles.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium with 50 miles.
1995E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
gill72
USA
2011 limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995E View Post
The hardware is exactly the same. The problem is: Ford wants to prevent you from getting the Nav software aftermarket. Every SD card has a vin verification thingie. The only way to do it is to hack it. I do remember seeing somewhere online that someone's trying to get into it though and add Nav.
not true, im using the SD card from my edge in the explorer and vice versa without any issues.
gill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
bkool2323
Western MA
2011 XLT

Vehicle Specs

gill72

do you have factory navigation in you 2011 Explorer Limited? Are you saying that I can just purchase the SD card and it will work in my 2011 Explorer XLT with out the factory navigation? Thanks, Paul
bkool2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
gill72
USA
2011 limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkool2323 View Post
gill72

do you have factory navigation in you 2011 Explorer Limited? Are you saying that I can just purchase the SD card and it will work in my 2011 Explorer XLT with out the factory navigation? Thanks, Paul
mine came with the navi.
i believe non navi cars have a different flash for the MFT, so no i dont think the SD card alone would do it in your case you'll have to pay the stealer a visit for the navi flash.
gill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
1tufgt
Bluegrass St.
2003 XLT Sport Trim

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill72 View Post
mine came with the navi.
i believe non navi cars have a different flash for the MFT, so no i dont think the SD card alone would do it in your case you'll have to pay the stealer a visit for the navi flash.
Even then the dealer probably doesn't have the software to unlocktht feature. I'm sure Ford put good safeguards against this. It will involve a good hacker to crack it.
1tufgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
TxRanger351w
Beaumont, Tx
95 Ranger S/C

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Again - this thread centers around the possibility of adding navigation by purchasing the SD card and having the MFT flashed at the dealer for those of us who didn't get it upon delivery of the vehicle.

I don't see why Ford WOULDN'T allow this. Think about it - a customer comes back to the dealership and is willing to drop $700 for a memory card just to have integrated navigation? The hardware is in place, the software is essentially there, there's no engineering or real overhead. It's a pure profit center.

I'd call the factory (or whoever) direct if I had a number. This just makes no sense.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
johnnyfivetapia
Ohio
2011 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Ford is considering it in the future, but thecurrent priority is to get the MFT bugs all worked out.
johnnyfivetapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
gman123
Austin
2011 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

indeed, I would pay as well.

it would not require much from the dealerships, and would be a high profit for them.

Same principle applies to high-end computer hardware, tape autoloaders and storage area networks. The features are there, but requires a license key to unlock, to use the full potential.
gman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
1995E
Maryland
95 + 11 Ex both XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
If Ford considers it, I'll buy it.

Explorer 2011 3.5L V6 XLT 202A with trailer tow, Ingot Silver 15k miles.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium with 50 miles.
1995E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
dco43054
cmh
11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRanger351w View Post
Again - this thread centers around the possibility of adding navigation by purchasing the SD card and having the MFT flashed at the dealer for those of us who didn't get it upon delivery of the vehicle.<clip>

I'd call the factory (or whoever) direct if I had a number. This just makes no sense.
The simple answer to your question, is "no". And it's not just a Ford thing where manufacturers limit the ability of the customer to select certain options after the fact. I know in some cases it requires different hardware, but in most cases it just seems stupid.

Here's my answer Less than $200 with tax locally. Comes with lifetime maps and traffic and I can program it on the fly. Yeah, I know it's not the in-dash item, but WTF - why would I want a GPS that required me to stop the car before I could change destinations, etc?

I'm also thinking about the Lockpick solution to accessing the display while moving. That way I could just plug my iPhone in and use the phone navigation, but even the nav on that is somewhat limited.
dco43054 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Bill #4 Explorer
Chicago Area
2011 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The factory OEM navigation system SUCKS! Buy a Garmin. 1,000% better.
Bill #4 Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #14
TxRanger351w
Beaumont, Tx
95 Ranger S/C

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I have a Garmin in my Toyota. I like it, I'd buy another.

The windshield visibility is slightly limited on the Explorer, I want to avoid cluttering it up with another item. Besides, the wife wants the in-dash navigation. I should have surprised her with the right vehicle, but alas we are not all perfect.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
Gandalf
Southern California
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill #4 Explorer View Post
I find inputting the destination to be clunky, especially using voice commands. However, once the destination is set, my navigation system works just as well as my Garmin Nuvi.
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #16
jjs461
Philadelphia, PA
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRanger351w View Post
I purchased a 2011 XLT with MFT for my wife back in April. The vehicle didn't have navigation enabled from the factory, but the salesman said it could be added just by purchasing the card. The parts counter said that someone had attempted this, but it ended up not working. Now, we see that while it is possible to purchase the card, the system must be enabled from the factory to allow navigation to work. I've seen a couple posts where people had their system flashed (I guess a complete reinstall?) Is it possible during this flash to enable the navigation component of MFT?
SAVE YOUR MONEY The Nav system is really really bad. Invest in a Megellan, Garman or Tom Tom unit for your wife. More reliable and way eaiser to use. I just have about given up with MFT Nav System and I have to travel across county this summer and will rely on my old Megallan for guidence. This is really a disapointment and now I'm sorry I bought this vehicle as the entire MFT/Sync is a nightmare. Who would think with a $48,000.00 vehicle a $139.00 GPS unit would be supereior.
jjs461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #17
TxRanger351w
Beaumont, Tx
95 Ranger S/C

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjs461 View Post
SAVE YOUR MONEY The Nav system is really really bad. Invest in a Megellan, Garman or Tom Tom unit for your wife. More reliable and way eaiser to use. I just have about given up with MFT Nav System and I have to travel across county this summer and will rely on my old Megallan for guidence. This is really a disapointment and now I'm sorry I bought this vehicle as the entire MFT/Sync is a nightmare. Who would think with a $48,000.00 vehicle a $139.00 GPS unit would be supereior.
See my previous post. This is for her, it's what she wants, it's what we'll get. I don't want to crowd the limited windshield with another gadget.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #18
Lexxus
2011 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

There is another thread with this exact same topic and the answer is the same.

Nav is set in the factory, cannot add ANY component once it leaves the factory as the system is locked, and no plans to enable features in the future. Stupid logic in my humble opinion....they could make a fortune in after purchase sales and keep happy customers.

As it is, I am looking to get rid of my 2011 Explorer and not sure if I'll upgrade to one custom made by me or go get something better like a Highlander Hybrid or Mercedes or Lexus. The Sync/MFT has so much potential to blow the competition away.....but they are really messing up with buggy systems and inflexibility.
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
There is another thread with this exact same topic and the answer is the same.
So why did you dig up this year old thread? lol

Check out the Gray Ghost on Fuelly.com
Average Mileage: 21.3
Best Tank: 26.5
VinceL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill #4 Explorer View Post
For a few bucks you can pick up a road map!

Peter

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page