flashing air bag light

fex98

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Crestmead logan QLD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer 4x4
my air bag light is flashing . It flashes 2 times then 3 times it does this 4 times and stays on please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's flashing a 2 digit trouble code. If you're correct, that code is a 23. However I don't show a code 23 for the SRS system. According to the service manual the fault code should flash 5 times. Can you double check the code? I'll try to help you pin point it.

It's flashing a 2 digit trouble code. If you're correct, that code is a 23. However I don't show a code 23 for the SRS system. According to the service manual the fault code should flash 5 times. Can you double check the code? I'll try to help you pin point it.

sorry it flashers 3 times and then 2 times

Well there is a code 23 IN 1998
(Pinpoint Test F: LFC 23/DTC B1923 — Memory Clear Circuit Improperly Grounded)
but it's not common.

Code 32 (Pinpoint Test G: LFC 32/DTC B1932 — Driver Air Bag Module Circuit High Resistance or Open)
Excessive resistance across Pins C232-2, Circuit 614 (GY/O) and C232-3, Circuit 615 (GY/W) can be caused by:

a poor connection or corrosion where the air bag sliding contact connects into the main wiring harness. The air bag sliding contact connector at the base of the steering column may have excessive resistance between the male and female terminals in the connector. Also, corrosion may occur on the terminal crimps on both the air bag sliding contact terminals and the main wiring harness terminals.
an open circuit or high resistance in the air bag sliding contact windings inside the air bag sliding contact.
an open circuit or high resistance in the wiring harness in either Circuit 614 (GY/O) or Circuit 615 (GY/W).
an open circuit or high resistance in the driver air bag module. Do not attempt a direct resistance measurement of the air bag module. Follow the diagnostic procedure to determine if the air bag module resistance is higher than normal.
Ford Motor Co service manual

Possibly a bad clockspring or loose/corroded connection.

Ditto on what ncranchero said.

is that the ribbon wire behind the stearing wheel

This fixed mine

Push both seats forward and locate the 2 yellow connectors under the seats. Pull the connectors apart and clean them with contact cleaner. Connect them back together and problem fixed (at least for me and several hundred others).

Push both seats forward and locate the 2 yellow connectors under the seats. Pull the connectors apart and clean them with contact cleaner. Connect them back together and problem fixed (at least for me and several hundred others).

Shouldn't you disconnect battery first?

Yes. You should always disconnect both battery terminals and wait 20 minutes before working on or around any part of the SRS components.

???

I didn't......in retrospect I probably should have......

There's no current if the key is off

The airbags can deploy even if the key is off. They're designed to hold a charge for a short time in case the battery is damaged in a crash. That's why you leave the battery off for 20 minutes.

Thank you

Thank you for clearing that up.....I guess I was just lucky....

Airbag light

Wow - now I saved some usd's. Just cleaned the connectors and the airbag light went off. What a good forum - Thanks!

/ Mikael

Back