Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Emergency hazard flashers on a 2011 Ford Explorer.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
Rowan928
AL

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Emergency hazard flashers on a 2011 Ford Explorer.

Have just purchased a 2011 Ford Explorer and cannot find the emergency flashers. Needed them desperately at 3:00 this am when taking a family member to the hospital... WHERE ARE THEY? !!
Rowan928 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Ilikemice
Elite Explorer
Midlands, UK

'99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome! Is it the red triangle In the middle below the navigation screen? That's just going from a pic though.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2011 Explorer section.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
bobby299
Missouri
2012 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan928
Have just purchased a 2011 Ford Explorer and cannot find the emergency flashers. Needed them desperately at 3:00 this am when taking a family member to the hospital... WHERE ARE THEY? !!
Reminder: that's what ambulances are for. And hazards do not exempt you from traffic laws. Just sayin'. Hope all is well with your family member
bobby299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
Loganfilm
Santa Monica, CA
'11 Limited 4WD

Vehicle Specs

You'll find it when you start messing with your MFT unit. It's where your finger wants to rest while you're inputing things and you'll trigger it all the time by accident until you get used to it. Poor design.
Loganfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
aarmchair
toronto, ontario canada
2011 xlt, FWD,ltr,tow,nav

Vehicle Specs

agreed - for the first little while everytime i went to use MFT i set off the hazards - especially if my wife used it from the passenger seat. Her bracelet kept hitting it.

not the best spot for this - on top of the screen would be much better.
aarmchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
jrmexplorer
Elite Explorer
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
As other have said, its the red triangle below the MFT screen. It doesn't look like the hazards - it looks like a little recessed sticker, but it is - it's a capacitive touch button which I find very tricky to turn on (except - as others have said - when I'm playing with MFT) and trickier to turn off.
jrmexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
02Sploder
Minnesota
'02 Eddie Bauer V6

Vehicle Specs

I thought my eject button on the CD player and the hazard button were faulty at first. They only seemed to work sporadically or if I pressed extra hard. What I've found that works consistently is to hold your finger on the button for a little bit (maybe a 1/2 second or so). This must be as intended - it makes sense to prevent accidental turning on of the hazards or ejecting a CD (although I've still accidentally turned on the hazards a handful of times). These are the only two buttons I've found so far that act this way.
02Sploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
stook2001
Durham, NC
2011 Limited 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganfilm View Post
You'll find it when you start messing with your MFT unit. It's where your finger wants to rest while you're inputing things and you'll trigger it all the time by accident until you get used to it. Poor design.
Totally agree! I hit it all the time by accident.
stook2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
dco43054
cmh
11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan928 View Post
Page 325 of your owner's manual?

Quote:
HAZARD FLASHER CONTROL
The hazard flasher should be used
when your vehicle is disabled and is
creating a safety hazard for other
motorists.
The hazard flasher control is located
on the center of the instrument
panel. The hazard flashers will operate when the ignition is in any
position or if the key is not in the ignition.
Press the flasher control and all front and rear direction signals will
flash.
Press the flasher control again to turn them off.
Lots of good info in there.
dco43054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #11
russell bruesch
new buffalo michigan
2011 limited 4wd

Vehicle Specs

ITS so easy to accidently brush against it when manually operating the 8 inch mft screen and turn it on,but not so easy to turn it off. It takes repeated hard presses to turn the dam thing off. I have tried lightly touching it to hard presses and sometimes it takes several seconds to find the right combination to turn it off. Its a distraction as my eyes are off the road and i am swearing at the damm car.
russell bruesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
darth_hangover
'11 Limted (on Order)

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell bruesch View Post
ITS so easy to accidently brush against it when manually operating the 8 inch mft screen and turn it on,but not so easy to turn it off. It takes repeated hard presses to turn the dam thing off. I have tried lightly touching it to hard presses and sometimes it takes several seconds to find the right combination to turn it off. Its a distraction as my eyes are off the road and i am swearing at the damm car.
FYI, my dealer told me that every other control is touch sensitive, but the hazard button is, apparently, "heat" sensitive so just holding your finger on it for a bit should trigger it, not pressing it...
darth_hangover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
BethesdaEC
Ellicott City, MD
2011 Red Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_hangover View Post
FYI, my dealer told me that every other control is touch sensitive, but the hazard button is, apparently, "heat" sensitive so just holding your finger on it for a bit should trigger it, not pressing it...
It is not heat sensitive, they just put a timer on it so you don't brush against it and turn them on. You have to hold it for about a second.
BethesdaEC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page