Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

'97 Mercury Mountaineer. Shift at high RPMs.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
Nitases
Seguin, TX
'97 mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Thumbs down '97 Mercury Mountaineer. Shift at high RPMs.

I have a '97 Mercury Mountaineer 2WD. It runs great esp. when cool or cold. However, when it warms up I have to get the RPMs up to 2500 and let off on the throttle before it will shift into all gears. There is intermittent times when it will shift fine when warm but I can't figure it out. It did get progressively worse about it running fine before warm up...that is it took less time before malfunction over time. I've checked TPS, fluid/filter, VSS and the voltages required for them. It doesn't slip, it just doesn't shift unless I throttle back. Does anyone know why. Damn online mechanics don't know diddly squat. I've told them same info. I even tried CARTALK but they don't answer. Probably because they don't know either.
Nitases is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
engine & transmission?

Which engine and transmission are in your vehicle?

You may have low line pressure which is more apparent when the ATF is warm. If you have a 5R55E you could have a blown out valve body separator plate gasket or a worn EPC solenoid.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmission section.
BrooklynBay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
swetrid
Reading Pa
2001 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think 97 Mountaineer only had 5.0L engine. I believe you have internal seal or piston concern that gives you those symptoms. Also double ck the fluid level.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
98 5oh XLT
Clackamas, Oregon
98 XLT AWD X "Loki"

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LB Did that when I first bought her. She was a little low on fluid, i topped her off and have had trouble free motoring since. I second the fluid comment.

1996 Ford Bronco XLT 351w 4x4(DD)
Bandits steal the show!!!!
The Fun Hump Day Radio Show
98 5oh XLT is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
mercury, mountaineer, rpm, shift point, throttle response

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page