Anyone run front limited slip? Drive OK? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone run front limited slip? Drive OK?

trailblazr81

Reaction score
City, State
Hollister
Would a front limited slip affect the on street driving in my 1992 4x4 auto? Figured after lift n tires since I already have limited slip rear going limited slip front would be better than switching rear to a locker. I had a 80's Blazer with this set up but it had manual hubs. Did great and didnt break axles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been sorta curious about this too.

With manual hubs, it surely shouldn't be a problem.

With auto hubs, in theory I think it should be fine too.
But - someone else probably knows better than me!

IIRC a Heep D35 L/S will work, if you get in from a carrier that the "lower gear" carrier break (3.55? and lower ie 4.11 etc.. I *think*).

Ya I was gonna use one out of a Cherokee. I also "think" it should be OK.

It may work but if not there is this option.....http://www.torsen.com/ that company makes an L/S for the TTB D35, you should be alright street driving with it.

A Torsen would be nice but I can get a clutch type "posi" made for a Jeep for alot less $$$. Also Detroit True Trac states "Power transfer goes literally unnoticed by the driver - even in front wheel drive axles."

I wonder how much set-up will be required?

Surely the carrier the the L/S wouldn't just slip in without setting it up would it?

Prolly would have to re check everything n maybe have to re shim it.

I have a d35 l/s carrier in my explorer and it does work.... better than an open. But it's limited in an off road application. I'm sure for the street it would be a great upgrade. I'm thinking of loosing the l/s in favor of a locker myself.

I ran front and rear L/S for years, before switching to front and rear lockers.

You're asking about a front L/S. In 2WD, it makes no difference if the diff is open, locked, or anything in between. It's disconnected from the transfercase and from the tires.
I had a Trac-Lok installed in the front, but I recommend something better, as it's the weakest L/S. The TruTrac would be an excellent choice, as would the Auburn.

If a front locker works without affecting my drive on the street in 2wd I would consider going that route.

Yeah, there is no affect in the front with any sort of traction device while driving in 2WD. The transfer case needs to be engaged for the front to receive and power.

I had a TrueTrac in both (one d35 beams and one SAS) of my explorers and loved them.

I'm looking into a junkyard-only build, so the info was helpful to me.

Thanks!

Just for the record ,what jeep ls will work?i planning on a Aussie as thats what i have in the rear and its only like $300ish

Cherokee or wrangler dana 35 l/s for 3.55 and numerically higher ratio's. Ive found some websights that list them for both jeep and ford use. About $250 for stock replacement.

What years? For that price would just go aussie

I ran a new factory dana 35 l/s in the front of mine with 33x10.5 bfg all terrains for three years. Driving included ice covered roads and deep snow in Canadian winters. Biggest draw back in my opinion was the aggressive return to center if you let go of the wheel with the tires turned. If they had any kind of traction it would spin the wheel hard. It also made the steering heavier (while the hubs are locked) during steering manovers. I've been running a detroit in the front now for a month and noticed very little downside, other than harder to make a tight turn on a trail with good traction. Although the spool in the rear right now doesnt help either. Im pulling the spool soon to make it more streetable. The l/s is a good upgrade.

God info guys. Not my thread of course, but I'm listening intently. lol

Yes, knowing which years/models of heeps we can pull a l/s out of would be awesome.

I think its any dana 35 from the smaller cherokee that came out in 80's til they stopped making them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a trutrack in the front of my 91. It works great. What 67truckguy said about steering. In 4 wheel I can almost steer it with the gas pedal.

Back