2nd row bucket seats console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd row bucket seats console

cso

Reaction score
I am looking to buy an Explorer that has a walk through to the third row between the two seats. Is that a custom order, or is it the same as ordering it with a 2nd row console and just removing the console? It seems that most of the dealers have a split second row.

Does anyone know if there will be any changes to the seating for the 2012 model? Like adding armrests to the second row? I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey and I love the comfort of the interior, but I do not want another mini-van. And, I think my transmission is about to go, so I need to make a decision soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The console is a separate option. You order 2nd row with it or without it.

Very expensive to add after the fact. Reported to be $500+ compared to only $100 MSRP from factory.

It's not designed to be removed (not saying you couldn't).

No changes for 2012.

Thanks, do you know if there are many on the lots that have just the bucket seats, or do most people order their vehicle that way?

I say that benches are more common but dealers do order the buckets.

I ordered mine with split second row and no console with no problems. From what i can see there are 2 bolts that would hold the console down, but wouldnt be easy to take on and off on a whim..... i'm thinking of buying the console (i think its still $100, not $500, but not sure) and making some modification to have it sturdy when in use, but easily removed, but at the moment can't figure out how. There has to be something we can do though...

Most Exs on the lots have the bench, but a good number around here have the buckets with and without the console. If you order the console from the factory it is $100. If you try to add it later, is is over $900 just for the parts, so you can try to scrounge one off ebay, but that is not easy (there are none listed at the moment). The console is easily removed, but the carpet under it is cut much more than just the plastic cap, so you would need (or want) to deal with that. The options I have found are you can get a t-shaped mat or the Husky mat for the third row which would cover this gap.

There is no perfect solution, but what we decided to do was order it with the console, which we will leave in place until we have our second child in about 2 years, and then remove the console and either get a t-shaped mat or the Husky mats to cover the gap in the carpet. Its crazy that a $100 factory option is over $900 in parts, but that is the way it is, unfortunately.

FYI... my Ten & Five year old girls are driving me crazy messing with that console. Open/Shut Open/Shut Open/Shut Open/Shut Open/Shut:confused:

I had a walk through on my 03 Expedition. I was going to order the 11 Explorer the same way but I couldn't find any one who would tell me there were inboard arm rests on the seats if you didn't get console. My passengers are mainly adults so I went with the console.

My 2012 X has a button that folds the 2nd row so kids get in the 3rd row that way and not between buckets. I wish I had the console it does cost $987.oo in parts, if only I would have ordered it from the factory $100.00.

I'm mad now Ford is releasing a Sport Model 3.5 V6 with dual turbo's for 2013 new grill wheels and interior.

My 2012 X has a button that folds the 2nd row so kids get in the 3rd row that way and not between buckets. I wish I had the console it does cost $987.oo in parts, if only I would have ordered it from the factory $100.00.

I'm mad now Ford is releasing a Sport Model 3.5 V6 with dual turbo's for 2013 new grill wheels and interior.

Don't get too upset, the console is not even offered for the buckets on a Sport :)

No inner armrests on buckets. I had lift up inner armrests on my "09 Enclave. Do order them from factory. I don't have them and wish I did. Ford should offer an aftermarket kit at way less than $900. I'm sure you can always sell the console on this site very quickly if you don't like it(me).

No inner armrests on buckets. I had lift up inner armrests on my "09 Enclave. Do order them from factory. I don't have them and wish I did. Ford should offer an aftermarket kit at way less than $900. I'm sure you can always sell the console on this site very quickly if you don't like it(me).

I had an '07 Saturn Outlook with the rear buckets and the armrest were ok. They seemed to get in the way of rear ingress for anyone older than a child.

The console should be offered by an aftermarket company with options to include a mini fridge, USB/power outlets, drawers, etc.

OK. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Captain chairs have arms.
Bucket seats do not.
What is Ford selling? I assume buckets.

dup

I used to call them captains chairs, but they are really buckets. I agree with you, captains chairs have armrests, buckets do not. I went into the configurator, and Ford calls them buckets, so at least they are being straightforward with that one :)

I never realized the difference between the two. Thanks for the heads up.

Back