Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

2013 SVT Supercharged V8 Explorer?

Old 06-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Stang Cobra
Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Explorer Limited 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2013 SVT Supercharged V8 Explorer?

I'm wondering if Ford will release an SVT Explorer since its had a pretty good launch with the 2011 model. Jeep revealed their 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 a couple of months ago, I hope Ford will try to compete against it in 2013. If SVT were to make a sporty supercharged Explorer, would you be tempted to buy one? I know I would, but I'm sure it would cost $60k - $70k and out of my budget range.

Last edited by Stang Cobra; 06-12-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: error
Stang Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Vic

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Cobra View Post
I'm wondering if Ford will release an SVT Explorer since its had a pretty good launch with the 2011 model. Jeep revealed their 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 a couple of months ago, I hope Ford will try to compete against it in 2013. If SVT were to make a sporty supercharged Explorer, would you be tempted to buy one? I know I would, but I'm sure it would cost $60k - $70k and out of my budget range.

With gas prices rising and increased EPA mileage requirements, it doubtful for a V8, but possibly the 3.5L EcoBoost.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Loganfilm
Santa Monica, CA
'11 Limited 4WD

Vehicle Specs

That 3.5L Ecoboost engine would be great. Tested one in the Flex and it's pretty impressive.
Loganfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
bavtoys.com
Orlando
02 Lariat XLT

Vehicle Specs

I think that would be an awesome idea. Sales for the Explorer are out the roof.

I know dealerships here in Orlando area sold out already, I can imagine an SVT edition should draw a crowd!

Become an HID tester - Tester Link

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
bavtoys.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
The other option is to release the Police Interceptor Utility (Explorer) 3.7L V6 300HP Mustang engine to retail models. Only 10 more HP but way different torque level.

2014 Explorer SPORT 401A Rapid Spec, Tuxedo Black, Charcoal Interior, Navigation, Dual Panel Moonroof, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, OEM Invision LT Series DVD Headrests, Tow Package, Inflatable Seatbelts, 28% Tint Fronts, Husky Liners, NuSheild, Blizzak DV-M1 Snows on Interceptor Steel Wheels TMPS,Diode Dynamics 4300K HID Kit, Gorilla Black Lug Nut Kit
Sgt1411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
RandyH2
Elite Explorer
MI
'11 Limited AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
With the little nagging details, I wouldn't pay $50-60K for an Explorer. If they get everything with MFT/Sunc dialed in, and offer some suspension.handling improvements as well then they could have a fun truck on their hands at <$50K. The problem is that at that price they are getting into the BMW price range and, no offense, but our BMW is just that much better. No need to argue about passenger capcity, etc. I already know and that is why I own an Explorer. I'm just saying that the BMW X5 would be my easy first choice at $60K
RandyH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
RandyH2
Elite Explorer
MI
'11 Limited AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I would LOVE to see them drop the Ecoboost V-6 in the Explorer and tighten up the suspension a bit.
RandyH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
FordExplorerFan
Tampa Bay, Florida

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyH2 View Post
I would LOVE to see them drop the Ecoboost V-6 in the Explorer....
I guess we two would love the same then, huh?
FordExplorerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
Stang Cobra
Redondo Beach, CA

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyH2 View Post
With the little nagging details, I wouldn't pay $50-60K for an Explorer. If they get everything with MFT/Sunc dialed in, and offer some suspension.handling improvements as well then they could have a fun truck on their hands at <$50K. The problem is that at that price they are getting into the BMW price range and, no offense, but our BMW is just that much better. No need to argue about passenger capcity, etc. I already know and that is why I own an Explorer. I'm just saying that the BMW X5 would be my easy first choice at $60K
You are right that Ford is no BMW, but SVT vehicles are high performance vehicles and limited edition collectors items. They could easily sell 5,000 SVT Explorers at $60k to $70k, just because there are plenty of SVT fans. And if they were to make an SVT Explorer, it would kick the BMW's X5 ass at the drag strip, and it would even give a $100k Porsche Cayenne Turbo a run for it's money.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #10
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm not sure how easily they could sell them, the svt sport trac was supposed to come to market, but canceled. I don't imagine it will go any farther than that did. Jeep sold around 11k units of the srt 8 version between 06-10 that doesn't sound like a very hot market to me.
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
Stang Cobra
Redondo Beach, CA

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by techieman33 View Post
I'm not sure how easily they could sell them, the svt sport trac was supposed to come to market, but canceled. I don't imagine it will go any farther than that did. Jeep sold around 11k units of the srt 8 version between 06-10 that doesn't sound like a very hot market to me.
I know that 3,000 SRT8s a year that Jeep sells doesn't sound much of a market, but it still makes them money and boosts their corporate image. I still think Ford should do it even if they only make 3,000 Explorers. I wouldn't have recommended it if the Explorer was not popular, the Sport Trac's SVT was cancelled due to low sales and that vehicle has now been discontinued. Obviously, most of us on this forum are fans of the new Explorer, so why not wish for an SVT version?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #12
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Cobra View Post
I know that 3,000 SRT8s a year that Jeep sells doesn't sound much of a market, but it still makes them money and boosts their corporate image. I still think Ford should do it even if they only make 3,000 Explorers. I wouldn't have recommended it if the Explorer was not popular, the Sport Trac's SVT was cancelled due to low sales and that vehicle has now been discontinued. Obviously, most of us on this forum are fans of the new Explorer, so why not wish for an SVT version?
things like that cost a lot of money to develop. And for already has things like the raptor and gt 500, gt 350. In lean times like this having another halo car probably doesn't make much sense for them.
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page