• Register Today It's free!

Off-road Awesome!

RandyH2

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited AWD
I took my awd Explorer on some heavily rutted dirt roads and then across a meadow the other day- and it was fantastic!!!! The big pot holes were handled so smoothly- much better than my previous SUV.

The rear-view camera was great for making a tight u-turn without hitting any trees.

And I know- this is hardly "off-road" by many folks standards but it certainly gave me a taste of what the Explorer can do.

Great stuff, Ford!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to hear :thumbsup: should have taken pictures ;)

I went "off-road" too... I kind of went on the curb because I some guy was blocking the right lane. Don't try this! This Explorer just climbed the curb like it was nothing...

I pulled into a parking space the other day and the lower front air dam rubbed on the parking bumper. :(

I know I didn't buy this for true offroading capability, but I have to admit that surprised me.

I've done that too. Maybe down the road they'll give it an air-adjust suspsension. :)

I've done that too. Maybe down the road they'll give it an air-adjust suspsension. :)
I thought about that. It would be nice.

OTOH, I put about 1,000 miles on it this weekend and got 20+ miles to the gallon - 20% better than my '02. So it's a tradeoff of ride height and aerodynamics & better gas mileage (and the new engine helps, too)

I pulled into a parking space the other day and the lower front air dam rubbed on the parking bumper. :(

I know I didn't buy this for true offroading capability, but I have to admit that surprised me.

Yeah, had this same problem, cracked my fog lamp because of the pressure from underneath. Kind of ridiculous for something classified as a "SUV". Ford would not replace the fog lamp, though I consider this a design flaw, thereby a warranty claim. I now park at least 6 inches from the bump stops, as if I were in my 350z.

Yeah, had this same problem, cracked my fog lamp because of the pressure from underneath. Kind of ridiculous for something classified as a "SUV". Ford would not replace the fog lamp, though I consider this a design flaw, thereby a warranty claim. I now park at least 6 inches from the bump stops, as if I were in my 350z.

I drove a BMW 330i before the Explorer, so I am already used to having to park that way.

I am down in the outer banks and really want to drive it up on the beach north of Corolla but im very afraid. I have driven many a vehicles up there and the only one that had no issues was my f150 with oversized tires and a lift.

You should go-- with a friend and a truck with a winch and air compressor. :)

Then let us know if the Explorer was able to handle it. I
would love to try the sand mode but have place to go locally.

i don't have anyone with me to try it. Ill let some other poor sap try it. If i get stuck, some jackhole driving on the beach will charge me $200 to pull me 5 feet

I am down in the outer banks and really want to drive it up on the beach north of Corolla but im very afraid. I have driven many a vehicles up there and the only one that had no issues was my f150 with oversized tires and a lift.

I would definitely go for it. Being able to drive in sand on beach was one of the main reason's I got the 4WD. You even have a sand mode to use :)

:)

I remembered that Ford gave us an air compressor so all you really need is a winch, and that other vehicle for backup...

It's funny how owning this SUV has me looking for places to off-road. I never really had that desire in my last SUV.

You shouldve done it. We just went this past week and my neighbors 2011 Limited did it however a few miles in the AWD system overheated and shut off, was fine after we let it cool a few minutes though. It was fun and quite smooth.

I took it "off road" too. Checked out a couple camp sites in the area and crossed a few ditches and apart from scraping its front bumper it was fine. I come from a long line of lowered cars where potholes posed serious maneouvre restrictions, so I am pretty happy being able to drive places I could have never dared to even get close to before.
I used to scrape my front lip going into driveways before so this is pretty awesome for me :)

To those of you who have spoken of this "lighter" off-roading (not judging... pretty much what mine will consist of): which wheels/tires do you have? As some of you may have seen from my previous posts, I'm a little worried about the 20's/Hankooks I have ordered on my 2012 XLT. Thanks.

I need two more settings for the terrain system, earthquake and hurricane!

To those of you who have spoken of this "lighter" off-roading (not judging... pretty much what mine will consist of): which wheels/tires do you have? As some of you may have seen from my previous posts, I'm a little worried about the 20's/Hankooks I have ordered on my 2012 XLT. Thanks.

I have the 20's on with the Hankook tires that came with it. I'll drive them til I need new ones before I get a new/better set. I find there is plenty of rubber around the 20" rim still not to damage it on mild off-roading. This is the reason why I decided against a 22" rim, although I would love the look, it would lose all off road capabilities.

i don't have anyone with me to try it. Ill let some other poor sap try it. If i get stuck, some jackhole driving on the beach will charge me $200 to pull me 5 feet

I wonder if Ford's Road Side Service would cover this? Kind of a marketing problem if they didn't.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back