Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

4.0 SOHC - when did it become reliable?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
adowns
Alabaster, AL
1998 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
4.0 SOHC - when did it become reliable?

Did the 4.0 SOHC engine ever become a reliable 200k mile engine?

After what year is it safe to purchase an Explorer with this engine?

If the timing chain problems have been fixed under warranty, does it become a reliable 200k engine, or is it good for only another 50k?

Do rebuilt engines (like a Jasper engine) fix the timing chain issues or are they about the same as the original engine as far as reliabilty?

I would like to buy a late 90's early 2000's Explorer. They seem like a lot of SUV for the money, but I am leery of the 4.0 SOHC engine which seems to be the engine in most of them.

Last edited by adowns; 06-26-2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling correction
adowns is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
swetrid
Reading Pa
1999 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It has always has issues of some sorts. 97-02 are the most problematic.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
my opinions

I believe all of the timing chain related improvements were incorporated in the 2002 and later models. An engine rebuilt or repaired after 2002 could have the best components available. There are less expensive and inferior aftermarket timing chain replacement kits available.

A forum member with a late model recently experienced a balance shaft tensioner failure at around 45K miles. Many members have over 200,000 miles on their engines with no timing chain issues. Maintenance and driving habits affect the longevity of the timing chain components. My 2000 engine was poorly maintained by previous owners and the original rear timing chain guide broke at 150,000 miles. I added a pre-oiler to hopefully extend the life of my timing chain components.

Volvo requires replacement of the timing belt and tensioner every 70,000 miles. Most modern overhead cam engines require a similar replacement interval. Ford's mistake was making it necessary to remove the engine to replace the rear cassette.

If you're not a home mechanic look for a 5.0L V8/4R70W powertrain.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
safn1949
Mankato, Minnesota
M60A1 my first offroader

Vehicle Specs

I agree on the 5.0,mine had 182,000 when I sold it and it ran like crazy.Always started and ran very smooth,never a problem with the tranny either.

safn1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
adowns
Alabaster, AL
1998 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks all for the information. Now I see the situation. If routine timing chain maintenance were not so difficult this wouldn't be an issue. I will look for a post 2002 owned by one of those "change oil every 3000 miles" owners.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
XLT
Super Elite Explorer
Wausau, WI

1998 Sport SOHC 4X4

Vehicle Specs

You might want to look for atleast a 2003 or newer. The 2002 are know to be more problematic since that was the first year of the 3rd gen explorer.

XLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
waskly
Crooklyn NY!

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
03 or 04 engines have the updated black guilds in them.

waskly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
01sporty
new salisbury indiana
2001 sport 2wd

Vehicle Specs

being an employee of jasper engines i can tell you this, the guides are different from stock. i dont really know if its because of the issue being discussed i could find out tho. if you would like for me to
01sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
adowns
Alabaster, AL
1998 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
To 01sporty: I've often wondered if engine rebuilders use better than stock parts because they can see first hand what the weak spots are as they tear down the core engines. Or... do they use cheaper parts because the second engine will probably outlast the car which already has lots of miles and the car will break down due to some other cause or be sold to another owner.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
01sporty
new salisbury indiana
2001 sport 2wd

Vehicle Specs

we use high quality parts, we partner with alot of the aftermarket parts companies in order to get better pricing, kinda one hand washes the other they sell more parts we get better prices, our engines are rebuilt to factory specs. so they are as good as new. i cant speak for other facilities but i imagine they wouldnt remain competetive if they sold an inferior product. in fact we remanufacture engines for the long life postal vehicles and those engines have to stand up to the torture that the postal service puts them thru, and trust me when i say this those engines are absolutely put thru the ringer
01sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
mr cribb
US Army Retired
Quinton, OK

93 Sport 5spd 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Well I do know that my first X (2000 EB 4.0) had head gasket issues, I checked into repairing it. Local shops wanted atleast 3k, ford wanted 3800 just to repair, and a new motor was 4k.

I got it because he price was right ($500).... I later traded it off after finding out the repair cost.

I'm in agreement if I was to have a later model X, I'd get the 5.0 motor.

Mods: limited grille and bumper
mr cribb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page