Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

2002 Ford Explorer. Power window went down by itself, and does not go up.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
splitmama
manorville ny
2002 eddie bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
US 2002 Ford Explorer. Power window went down by itself, and does not go up.

Hello,

My drivers side window went down by itself one done when I started up my car. It would not go back up. I replaced the switch to no avail. The switch has the auto down feature which I suspected to be the problem so I reconfiqured the wiring to bypass the circuit and installed a mini-switch on the door panel so I could lower the window. The up position on the oem switch works fine.

Does anyone know why this window would lower by itself? Could it be a faulty window motor? Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks and Happy 4th,

Jimmy
splitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
1AJeremyD
Mass
95 XLT 4.0

Vehicle Specs

Welcome to the forum! In your post you said that the window went down and then would not go back up. Then later you stated that the up position on the switch works fine. I would suggest rewording what you wrote to make a little bit more sense. Thanks!

Shop for Ford Explorer Parts
1AJeremyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Check the wiring between the door, and the frame of the vehicle.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
BigRondo
USMC 1371
Worcester, MA

2002 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Welcome aboard!

I agree with Jeremy. Your post is somewhat confusing. Do the other windows work?

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

If you are sure you have no broken/damaged wires in the boot, here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link http://www.scribd.com/doc/14896086/2...stem-Diagnosis

Hope this helps out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND on 4-22-13
Don't mess with Boston. They will drop everything, hunt you down, and then go on like you never existed once they are done cleaning up the mess.
BigRondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
splitmama
manorville ny
2002 eddie bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the replies. I will try to clarify my problem:

As I started the car one day, the drivers side window went down by itself and would not go back up. The three remaining windows still work fine.

I traced the problem to the one push down feature in the window switch. It was some how sending a signal to open the window. It was acting like someone had there finger on the button and would not let up. I replaced the switch with a brand new one and still had the same problem.

I have an electrical backround so I studied the behavior of the circuit and was able to disconnect the auto down feature, but by doing so I had no way to lower the window. So I installed a mini push button switch that sent a signal to lower the window. It works but I still cannot figure out why the window would lower by itself with the auto-down circuit online. I have not checked the wires in the boot but will do so.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen this behavior before.

Thanks again,

James Carine

Last edited by splitmama; 08-07-2011 at 09:53 AM.
splitmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page